Ronald Koeman discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
RawFondDuckling.gif

aye agree here, Lou

Even from a tactical perspective, we're going up against a side who are going to sit back and leave no space in behind.

It doesn't suit Niasse's all-action style to throw him in from the start IMO.

Davies must start, and I'd say Kenny as well (though he may want Holgate in there for the defensive set-pieces which would be understandable).

DCL to start with ideally Rooney behind, Gylfi one side and then a bit of pace on the other flank.

If Vlasic starts then we could have Kenny there to provide the width.

I like the look of Vlasic, from the meagre time I've seen him, You can tell he has been playing first team football for a while for his age. Do we play him on the wing or as another number 10 though as that's his desired position isn't it? Pretty sure I read that somewhere. Kenny should be in now until Seamus is back, it will do him a lot of good.

Thursday's selection will be telling. Certainly doesn't need to parade all his shiny signings around in front of a bunch of farmers.

You could say pluck for experience or whatever but honestly what good has that ever done us? Stick to playing players that will bleed for us on the pitch (except you Wayne, you're annoying me lately).

I've given this EFC team selection malarky a lot of thought as RK is obviously occupied on something else and here goes.

Gotta go with players in form and not those who have been brought in and are not doing the job. Plus in spite of having 4 or 5 no.10's there
is no clever midfield play and whoever plays upfront is poorly supported.

DCL and Niasse start up-front.
On the left, Silgi, Davies, Gana, Vlasic.

The defence can sort itself out. A 4-4-2 with power and running upfront. No Rooney to get in Gilfi's way and youth in the form of Vlasic and Davies. Gana- who has not been great this season- gets the job as the midfield holder.

I like the look of Vlasic, from the meagre time I've seen him, You can tell he has been playing first team football for a while for his age. Do we play him on the wing or as another number 10 though as that's his desired position isn't it? Pretty sure I read that somewhere. Kenny should be in now until Seamus is back, it will do him a lot of good.
Winger mate.

I've given this EFC team selection malarky a lot of thought as RK is obviously occupied on something else and here goes.

Gotta go with players in form and not those who have been brought in and are not doing the job. Plus in spite of having 4 or 5 no.10's there

On the left, Silgi, Davies, Gana, Vlasic.

The defence can sort itself out. A 4-4-2 with power and running upfront. No Rooney to get in Gilfi's way and youth in the form of Vlasic and Davies. Gana- who has not been great this season- gets the job as the midfield holder.

You talk of form, you know the fella who picks the team, he sees the players every single day in training, he knows whos in form day to day, he knows whos struggling a little, he sees all, thankfully the fella who sees the players everyday picks our side.

On the left, Silgi, Davies, Gana, Vlasic.m

Four players on the left? Lacks some balance that.

As much as I'm preparing myself for a bit of flak here, I think we were doing ok in the 1st half on Saturday. We had control of the game, just struggling to create much. We had a few blocked shots that looked on target and a couple of other half-chances, when the whistle for half time blew I was relatively content as I felt we would find a way through in the 2nd half. 2nd half started so poorly and we seemed to go to pieces in a Martinez-esque way so quickly, that it became difficult to judge after that.

I don't think much more than a few tweaks to that side are needed. Regardless of what everyone thinks, we don't really have any proper wide midfielders who are going to get chalk on their boots to provide us with natural width, so that width is going to have to come from the full backs - Spurs and Man City are good examples of sides who manage to make this work, so as far as the tweaks go...

Kenny over Martina at right back. Kenny looks to have a Baines-esque intelligence about when to make overlapping runs and his crossing is a little bit more in the way of dangerous crossing, rather than Cuco's floated efforts.

Whatever the strongest centre back pairing we can put out is.

Baines, as the only left back in the squad, gets an obvious by into the team

Davies over Gana in midfield - neither Gana nor Davies can sit, so Schneiderlin starts by virtue of being the only centre mid we have who is capable of playing the holding role properly. Davies is much more adept at driving us forward and picking out a more telling pass than Gueye, so he gets the nod.

Vlasic in over Klaassen. Vlasic's ability to look comfortable a little wider than our other available options in an attacking midfield role gives him an edge, plus he looks more comfortable carrying the ball than anyone else in our midfield. Start him right of the attacking midfield area, then either Sigurdsson or Rooney as the number 10, with the other to the left of him - alternate them during the game if needs be.

Calvert-Lewin up front - the progress this lad is making is tremendous

As much as I'm preparing myself for a bit of flak here, I think we were doing ok in the 1st half on Saturday. We had control of the game, just struggling to create much. We had a few blocked shots that looked on target and a couple of other half-chances, when the whistle for half time blew I was relatively content as I felt we would find a way through in the 2nd half. 2nd half started so poorly and we seemed to go to pieces in a Martinez-esque way so quickly, that it became difficult to judge after that.

I don't think much more than a few tweaks to that side are needed. Regardless of what everyone thinks, we don't really have any proper wide midfielders who are going to get chalk on their boots to provide us with natural width, so that width is going to have to come from the full backs - Spurs and Man City are good examples of sides who manage to make this work, so as far as the tweaks go...

Kenny over Martina at right back. Kenny looks to have a Baines-esque intelligence about when to make overlapping runs and his crossing is a little bit more in the way of dangerous crossing, rather than Cuco's floated efforts.

Whatever the strongest centre back pairing we can put out is.

Baines, as the only left back in the squad, gets an obvious by into the team

Davies over Gana in midfield - neither Gana nor Davies can sit, so Schneiderlin starts by virtue of being the only centre mid we have who is capable of playing the holding role properly. Davies is much more adept at driving us forward and picking out a more telling pass than Gueye, so he gets the nod.

Vlasic in over Klaassen. Vlasic's ability to look comfortable a little wider than our other available options in an attacking midfield role gives him an edge, plus he looks more comfortable carrying the ball than anyone else in our midfield. Start him right of the attacking midfield area, then either Sigurdsson or Rooney as the number 10, with the other to the left of him - alternate them during the game if needs be.

Calvert-Lewin up front - the progress this lad is making is tremendous
We were doing okay without providing much penetration or goal threat. That is the problem. I'd rather have 30 percent possession and create actual opportunities as opposed to what I saw in the 1st half. There was no real plan... it was just pass the ball around until we can find an open shot. The only actual threat we had was Cuco whipping crosses in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back