Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

• Participation within this subforum is only available to members who have had 5+ posts approved elsewhere.

Round of 16 Matches

Status
Not open for further replies.
Zimmerman isn't great but IDK Vickers really lit the world on fire. Iran was all to happy to make it easy for our back line for more than 1/2 the match which made him look decent early. Either one is probably one of our lesser starting players but the rationale that Zimmerman is better when we have less of the ball and CCV is better when we are living in the attacking end looks like it makes sense.
I’m more confident with CCV against players like Depay and Gakpo. That’s what it really comes down to for me. My bigger beef is with him continuing to leave two of our best players out for players we know can’t produce at this level. I have no doubts Gio who is not a striker is still a better striker than Ferreira. Weah is 100%. Gregg is incapable of showing any flexibility.

He does have a choice though. Reyna or Aaronson with Weah up front. Persisting with mediocre strikers does not lead to goals. It didn’t before the tournament. It hasn’t in the tournament. He’s too bloody stubborn to just got his actual attacking talent on the field. Hopefully Jesus plays a blinder. But are we more likely to score with Pulisic, Ferreira, Weah or Pulisic, Weah, Reyna? It’s pretty obvious.

Aaronson is going to play a ton of minutes today (especially if its ET). Reyna is a young player, just off injury and you asking him to fill an unfamilar role. Reyna is more talented/better than Ferreria, but he doesn't play Ferreria's position. Shoehorning players in is very Sven Goran Erikson.

Aaronson is going to play a ton of minutes today (especially if its ET). Reyna is a young player, just off injury and you asking him to fill an unfamilar role. Reyna is more talented/better than Ferreria, but he doesn't play Ferreria's position. Shoehorning players in is very Sven Goran Erikson.
It’s not unfamiliar if you let Weah play up front and Gio wide. We can all justify things however we want. With a team like the US I’m a proponent of finding ways to get your best players on the field. Gregg is clearly more married to his ideals than doing that.

I just want van Dijk to get beat :p
Keep him in there. Let him get to a position he thinks he has a chance at lifting the world cup and then dash his hopes. Besides. all the Kopites want him back earlier from the tournament, so...

It’s not unfamiliar if you let Weah play up front and Gio wide. We can all justify things however we want. With a team like the US I’m a proponent of finding ways to get your best players on the field. Gregg is clearly more married to his ideals than doing that.
Eh, Weah has done well at his current position, why does he have to move? You start moving pieces around after what 2-3 days of practice I just don't think it will end well. This match might be going 135min, keep some depth on the bench.

Eh, Weah has done well at his current position, why does he have to move? You start moving pieces around after what 2-3 days of practice I just don't think it will end well. This match might be going 135min, keep some depth on the bench.
Will come down to gregg using the bench well

USA to hang in there terrier like until the tiredness sets in and the Dutch pounce. Argentina to dish up a whooping vs Aus, sadly.

It shouldn’t have been just 2-3 days. They should’ve been planning it as an option for like a year now. No secret the lack of a real 9 has been our biggest hole for some time now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back