Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

• Participation within this subforum is only available to members who have had 5+ posts approved elsewhere.

Round of 16

Status
Not open for further replies.

The logical extension of your argument is we have ALL of Europe here at the tournament. There's not much difference between Scotland and some of the sides that didn't qualify such as Sweden, Greece, Ireland, Norway, etc. I mean, we could, but would you really want to watch that? I suppose some people would love it. UEFA will DEFINITELY increase it to 32. They'll use the Haaland argument. Each to their own.

But basically, my argument is that if you have a good qualification competition where only 7 or 15 qualify, then you have already ensured that the best sides have made the finals tournament. And then, with the right format, you get higher quality sides playing against each other. That, in theory, should lead to higher-quality matches and a better spectacle.

I have enjoyed this tournament as a diversion from life - but the matches have largely been deeply ordinary. Not one game yet will be replayed in years to come as a "classic match". In the group stages of previous touraments we had all-time classics like Czech Republic-Holland 2004, Spain-Yugoslavia 2000, and Holland-France 2008. But then there were fewer sides and only two teams going through from each group instead of the farcical three. That, actually, is a better argument for 32 teams than what I've suggested above...
You’ve named one match from every tournament. I think it’s largely nostalgia this.

You’ve named one match from every tournament. I think it’s largely nostalgia this.
Portugal-England, 2000
Romania-England, 2000
Slovenia-Serbia, 2000

France-England 2004
Portugal-Spain 2004

Turkey-Czech Republic 2008
Holland-Italy 2008

All great group matches.

Nostalgia? Yes, to a point. But Euro 2000 was easily one of the best two Euros ever (three if you include 1976 - four teams, three classic matches). That's uncontested by most observers.

Portugal-England, 2000
Romania-England, 2000
Slovenia-Serbia, 2000

France-England 2004
Portugal-Spain 2004

Turkey-Czech Republic 2008
Holland-Italy 2008

All great group matches.

Nostalgia? Yes, to a point. But Euro 2000 was easily one of the best two Euros ever (three if you include 1976 - four teams, three classic matches). That's uncontested by most observers.
What's the third one?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back