Confirmed Signing Ruben Vinagre

Status
Not open for further replies.

Honestly thought he was still at Wolves, didn't realise he went back to Portugal.

I can remember the name when he was there, how often did he start when they were finishing 7th successively?

He was loaned to Sporting and Sporting signed him early this month. And now he is loaned out to us. One sporting fan told me he is their third choice LB.

Left Back is not necessarily a key position to strengthen but we do lack some depth. Not really a very impressive player and we will probably see even less of him if Cornet is signed. If we missed out on Cornet, we have a backup (but not really a good one).

I don’t think he’s a poor player.
Ok, he’s not a very good player, but not poor.
But it’s an odd one and one we are only making because he is free. And that’s not a great basis for building a squad is it?
He's not free, he will cost a loan fee and a 9m fee if we wish to keep him.

I have no idea if he's any good, but I see a deal with minimal downside, with lots of upside.

If he's poo, he's poo. But honestly these are the type of deals we should be attempting.

Doesn't really have to be though. We just need a cheap, decent enough back-up option for the only left-back in the squad that is actually good enough (and let's face it the jury could well still be out on Myko).

Vinagre is 23, will be happy to fight for his place and gives us an okay rotation option. Weirdly, one that is actually a proper LWB, as opposed to the more defensive LB that Myko is (but I think Myko is still the better player).

That's all this is. The wages are reportedly around £16k a week, and Lampard and the coaches have decided Nkounkou isn't ready. He's only got 12 months left so will likely be moved on. If Vinagre does well in his year here, then we have a deal agreed if we'd like to sign him.

Yes, it wasn't an absolute priority, but it's a deal that's costing a relatively tiny amount for a position that did need addressing at some point this window.

I'm not sure where the narrative comes from that Mykolenko is a defensive left back, kind of think it's because he's actually good defensively more so than anything.

In Ukraine for his team and country he's always been a good attacking outlet at fullback - and he's starting to show that here too after he settled in last season.

Not bothered about this lad, could be a decent pickup as cover could be another Nkounkou who never gets on the pitch, minimal costs though so no biggy.

Despite the need for starting 11 players, the squad still needs sorting.

If we are playing with wingbacks, Vinagre is Mykolenko back up, if we have a back 4, Godfrey covers the left back spot.

Nkounkou obviously hasn't impressed enough over pre season so it was still an issue that needed sorting.

Hopefully the '6' and creative midfielder aren't far behind.

Status
Not open for further replies.