Sam Allardyce

So, what next?

• IN. Give him a chance and see what he can do?

Votes: 79 8.3%
  • OUT. Thanks but no thanks. See Ya?

Votes: 758 79.3%
  • As ever. Cheese on Toast

Votes: 25 2.6%
  • Er, I am a bit scared of us Evertoning this right up.

Votes: 94 9.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Purely because i'm bored of getting managers who are over achieving at small clubs in the hope they can reproduce that at us, a bigger club.

Felt the same about Silva, Howe, or anyone like that.

Fair enough, and I see your point.

But ultimately when you're 16th and have conceded 28 goals in the league, the options get limited.

Has there been any mention of a presser to introduce Allardyce yet, or do we wait for the next regular pre-match event, presumably tomorrow lunchtime? Will be very insightful to hear him expand on what his targets have been set to, what his short / medium targets are and if (early days) he will reveal where he sees changes needed in the squad... most of these questions, if answered, will be a window into Moshiri's same plans.
Presser today I think.

Exactly mate.

It was like we were gliding serenely and gently applying pressure to get the preferred outcome, then someone lost their nerve and jumped overboard.

Two big losses bookended this saga: the Arsenal thumping saw Koeman dumped; the S'ton thumping saw Allardyce brought in.

We have a knee jerk owner here. No question.
Particularly after last night it does feel like we hit the panic button a bit early. That said, it seems like the position we were in in the league meant that decent young managers (Silva, Fonseca, Simeone(?)) weren't interested in the job.

The truth is the prospect of relegation, however remote, is a massive risk to us given where we are with trying to secure finance for the new stadium. Ensuring our position in this division is secure has to be the priority.

I would never have thought Sam Allardyce would be Everton manager, not in a million years. One, I thought we were better and two he always seemed to hate Everton as we and Duncan Ferguson relegated his Bolton team way back.
But hey ho he's here.
Positives, he is the English Benitez as his football is not tika taka but he grinds every drop out of what he has at his disposal. He now potentially has more at his disposal than at any of his previous clubs. If his name was Samuel Allardicio from FC Valencia loads on here would be all over him.
He'll root out the cowards and slackers of which there are several, and toughen the team up. Absolutely sick of Everton being sub servant cowards to the usual suspects.
He knows the league inside out.
He won't be pushed around by the red lovie media or openly laughed at from the opposing dugout.
Negatives, with competent management and a few additions and injury returnees we would not have been relegated anyway and we'll just carry on being unrelevant in the modern game for a while longer. Pretty used to that now anyway.

Last edited:

I had to laugh last night when he saw that performance and result, on the back of which we now sit easily within reach of midtable. His face in the director's box was a picture: he had the horrifying realisation that his job here had suddenly changed from getting safe to getting us into the top half of the table and keeping us there.

We have effectively stepped out of the Big Sam criteria of basket case club and are asking for a bit more than moving us from relegation team to bottom half plodders. Inside he must have been very concerned about what he's now got to do.

As said all along: this position we found ourselves within was way short of fire fighter manager territory. Moshiri has panicked and has us now managed by a man without the tools to do the new job: mid-table/top half finish. That's what happens when you have a clueless errand boy in the hot seat.

We beat a horrible West Ham 4-0

Against any decent side this season we've been battered

We're very much still in the throngs of a survival season

I'm not happy with the appointment, but I can't deny we needed a fire fighter

I would have rather we'd gone for Dyche instead, but hey-ho

Are we all forgetting that the person they want for the "long term project" was not prepared to walk out of his current role and we have to sit tight for 6 months now until they land him?

I'm getting very confused, so many conflicting things going on here.

We obviously wanted Silva, we can't have him, but he might have said wait until summer. What are we supposed to do until then? Unsworth wasn't working, he might have done, but he was far more of a gamble than the road they have gone down and that is undeniable IMO.
Everton don’t have the muscle power to target just one man to lead the project! We targeted Silva, tried and failed so you move onto the next on your list and so on. Sam Allardyce should not have been on a ‘kin long list never mind a bleedin short one! I refuse to buy into this notion that Allardyce guarantees you safety because he’s never been relegated, I look at it the other way, his style and tactics keep you in a relegation battle, but he gets lucky.

Dyche was the one.

Would have got us organised. Would get the club. Etc.

But it's not just self-serving. We got desperate for a manager because we tried for too long on Moshiri's 'trophy' candidates - Silva, Fonesca etc. Mentioning Simeone ffs.

At the end of the day though, there was - and still is, I don't care what anyone is saying about 'only one win away from this' - us getting dragged into a dogfight.

I know it can change for the good, but it could easily get worse. If you haven't noticed we don't always win games we're expected to?

So it's vitally important - for the club, not just the owners ffs - that we stay in this league and don't end up scrapping to do so come May.
Didn't try hard enough, obvioulsy.

You make those things happen with enough cash. He didn't offer enough for Silva and that was that...then we were on to "the only other manager in the world of football available" Allardyce.

It's a numb nuts decision.

We beat a horrible West Ham 4-0

Against any decent side this season we've been battered

We're very much still in the throngs of a survival season

I'm not happy with the appointment, but I can't deny we needed a fire fighter

I would have rather we'd gone for Dyche instead, but hey-ho
No mate we’re not, yes we’re rubbish at the minute but I believe we still have a lot of talent in the squad. We just need a decent manager.

Plus now everyone should and hopefully will expect a battering of a Hull side in freefall whose lost it's last 3 games, lost it's last two away games 4-0 to Bournemouth and 5-0 to Arsenal

In Fact their away record from last game and backwards reads like this, Arsenal 5-0 loss, Bournemouth 4-0 loss, Liverpool 3-0 loss, Swansea 2-0 loss, Burnley 0-0 draw, Palace 1-0 loss (league cup), West Ham 2-0 loss

they haven't scored a goal in their last 7 away games and have conceded 17.

Allardyce has given our last result the absolute perfect godsend of an opening game in charge, and in fact Unsworth would have seen us comfortably win the Hudds game as well.
Away to Huddersfield - new manager bounce etc - should be our first win on the road since last January.

I expect at least a draw. Lose it and it's worrying.

Didn't try hard enough, obvioulsy.

You make those things happen with enough cash. He didn't offer enough for Silva and that was that...then we were on to "the only other manager in the world of football available" Allardyce.

It's a numb nuts decision.

We did offer around £12m.

Maybe we should have gone further, but then again I think Silva would be mental to jump ship to us given the state we were in a week or so ago. Same for Dyche.

Anyway, it's done now.

Things can change in the summer. If that's the plan, and Moshiri is willing to take a hit to get rid of Sam then, then that's on him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back