Scouse Sleeping Beauty at the Royal Court

Status
Not open for further replies.
You should only go to Bill Kenwright productions, and besides, proper kopites know that Everton's trophy room is very impressive.

Went to watch this last night (yeah, yeah I know, but I always go as its a bit of a tradition of ours to go see a show over Christmas)

Anyway, seen a few of these shows over the years and every one without fail always includes the unfunny Everton 'joke' and rarely a swipe at Liverpool for balance (last night it was the difficulty of finding our trophy room...ho, ho, hilarious)

So I got to thinking why is this?

The obvious answers are that Everton have given your typical third rate local scriptwriter plenty of material over the years for cheap shots to raise a cheap laugh. Added to that the writers are almost always gloryhunting reds and the majority in the audience will be too then perhaps it's understandable.

But then it dawned on me, when glancing around the room spotting the obvious blues shrugging the 'joke' off in time honoured fashion....can you imagine the absolute uproar there would be if a writer who was a blue aimed a cheap shot at them lot without providing another for balance? Fatwas against the writing team, boycotts of the theatre, no doubt an Echo special Investigation into the heracy on view in the city.

So whilst it's tiresome sitting through these things over and over again, it's not as uncomfortable as it could be if they ever did it to them.
Because if they joked about the rs in a panto it crosses a very important line and becomes legitimate theatre.

Very surprised that being the butt of a joke is being so washed over on here, if being an Everton fan is akin to having a belief, part of a cult, or dare I say a ‘mantra’ that guides your life choices like a religion, these sort of jokes shouldn’t be allowed as they are discriminatory in nature.

Apologies if that sounds a bit woke…
:coffee:

Very surprised that being the butt of a joke is being so washed over on here, if being an Everton fan is akin to having a belief, part of a cult, or dare I say a ‘mantra’ that guides your life choices like a religion, these sort of jokes shouldn’t be allowed as they are discriminatory in nature.

There's only one cult in town and it's not Everton

Went to watch this last night (yeah, yeah I know, but I always go as its a bit of a tradition of ours to go see a show over Christmas)

Anyway, seen a few of these shows over the years and every one without fail always includes the unfunny Everton 'joke' and rarely a swipe at Liverpool for balance (last night it was the difficulty of finding our trophy room...ho, ho, hilarious)

So I got to thinking why is this?

The obvious answers are that Everton have given your typical third rate local scriptwriter plenty of material over the years for cheap shots to raise a cheap laugh. Added to that the writers are almost always gloryhunting reds and the majority in the audience will be too then perhaps it's understandable.

But then it dawned on me, when glancing around the room spotting the obvious blues shrugging the 'joke' off in time honoured fashion....can you imagine the absolute uproar there would be if a writer who was a blue aimed a cheap shot at them lot without providing another for balance? Fatwas against the writing team, boycotts of the theatre, no doubt an Echo special Investigation into the heracy on view in the city.

So whilst it's tiresome sitting through these things over and over again, it's not as uncomfortable as it could be if they ever did it to them.
If you 'skate over it', 'ignore it' or just plain 'suck it up' etc, etc, etc. you help perpetuate it.
If you pull them on it its...I thought Scousers had a sense of humour, thought you could take a joke
The only(?) cure is to make it irrelevant - get better, win stuff.
Or stop going to crap pantos
Or both for preference.

Everybody matters or nobody matters - Harry Bosch.
If it was about another colour that starts with b and not blue...Yes I know its nowhere near, by many factors of a million, the same scale.
But ( even 1 massive+ 1very minor) 2 wrongs still don't make a right - and never will

Status
Not open for further replies.