2021/22 Seamus Coleman

Status
Not open for further replies.
Patterson might well get games for Everton, but fundamentally the situation with him is unchanged: he isn't by any stretch of the imagination a defender. I've never seen a FB play so high and wide up the pitch as him.

IMO he needs to be given the same opportunity as Coleman to get his defensive positioning and skills honed out on loan.

Coleman cant be asked to play a full season at RB either. So I'm convinced - all being well and we're in the PL next season - that we'll see a move for a RB this summer.
I think a major problem is this... Coleman plays but doesn't offer a huge amount of width going forward as he doesn't have the legs (or much technical ability). This in turn invites pressure on our defence as we can't 'safely' press as high as Frank likes.

With 5 at the back, there should be less defensive responsibility on the wing backs and more emphasis on them being the winger with 3 Central midfielders usually, which would suit Patterson more, using his pace to get back when needed (see the success of Isiah Jones and Djed Spence in the Championship).

As I see it, we play these wing backs in a 5 but then also have 2 wide midfielders in front of them, which if all 4 wide players attack, leaves the centre open.

I've got few qualms over Patterson as a player, but like Dele, he doesn't fit our current system for me.

If we're in the Championship, maybe.
Frank wants footballers who are technically sound. And full backs who can add something in the final 3rd.
The likes of Coleman, kenny, Keane, Holgate, Doucoure and a few more. Have no future I’m under lampard.

The reason he didn’t play patterson when he first arrived, was probably down to experience, the situation we were in and the league, compared to Scotland.

I think a major problem is this... Coleman plays but doesn't offer a huge amount of width going forward as he doesn't have the legs (or much technical ability). This in turn invites pressure on our defence as we can't 'safely' press as high as Frank likes.

With 5 at the back, there should be less defensive responsibility on the wing backs and more emphasis on them being the winger with 3 Central midfielders usually, which would suit Patterson more, using his pace to get back when needed (see the success of Isiah Jones and Djed Spence in the Championship).

As I see it, we play these wing backs in a 5 but then also have 2 wide midfielders in front of them, which if all 4 wide players attack, leaves the centre open.

I've got few qualms over Patterson as a player, but like Dele, he doesn't fit our current system for me.
I think it’s more getting players to fit the system Frank wants, if he plays 433. Then you get a right sided midfielder who can cover the space when patterson goes forward. It also looks like from the small sample size, Mykolenko looks a very good defender, so you get the balance.

A bit like the 80’s With stevens and Pat

Frank wants footballers who are technically sound. And full backs who can add something in the final 3rd.
The likes of Coleman, kenny, Keane, Holgate, Doucoure and a few more. Have no future I’m under lampard.

The reason he didn’t play patterson when he first arrived, was probably down to experience, the situation we were in and the league, compared to Scotland.
Kenny can do that. He's a good stand in RB for a club at the level we're at now. Let's not kid ourselves we can have an exceptional FB and a very good deputy.

That's not what he does though. He plays higher and wider up the pitch than any FB I've seen in an Everton shirt. Let's call him what he is: a winger.

His strength is carrying the ball not getting back behind it and keeping shape: either using a three or four man defensive system.

That's why he should be out on loan if we stay up. It's great having an attacking minded player, but you have to have balance.

That's not what he does though. He plays higher and wider up the pitch than any FB I've seen in an Everton shirt. Let's call him what he is: a winger.

His strength is carrying the ball not getting back behind it and keeping shape: either using a three or four man defensive system.

That's why he should be out on loan if we stay up. It's great having an attacking minded player, but you have to have balance.

He's played once for Everton so far, as a wing back, shocker.

Kenny can do that. He's a good stand in RB for a club at the level we're at now. Let's not kid ourselves we can have an exceptional FB and a very good deputy.
Kenny is a championship full back. And can occasionally put in a decent cross, but he’s a poor player. And who’s kidding themselves. Frank wants better players, he’s not going to accept Coleman and Kenny standard. Why take the job if he’s just going to accept mediocrity

Kenny is a championship full back. And can occasionally put in a decent cross, but he’s a poor player. And who’s kidding themselves. Frank wants better players, he’s not going to accept Coleman and Kenny standard. Why take the job if he’s just going to accept mediocrity
He's not accepting Patterson standard that's for sure.

Just an outright lie.
He was ineffectual - despite his agent/uncle or whatever Sally McCoist trying to make him out to have given a top class 45 minutes. As soon as Kenny replaced him we were rampant down that right side.

Status
Not open for further replies.