Sean Davis

Status
Not open for further replies.
2 Words: LAZY JOURNALISM

I was talking about this during my Media & Criminal Justice lecture the other day. Journalists are terribly lazy, when it comes to news stories in general, but especially when it comes to football rumours.

Hate to admit this, but a Kopite friend of mine (I know, I'm sorry) is a member of one of their forums, and a member made up a rumour about Juan Arango of Mallorca? joining the RS, understandably, all their fans (well, at least the one's that can read English, or write) got excited about said rumour and it got out, the press got wind of it, and it ended up on the sky sports website, with quotes being attributed to the player about being flattered by the interest. The lad who made up the rumour then came out and told everyone what he'd done, he called it a social experiment, I call it [Poor language removed] naive [Poor language removed] red [Poor language removed] being gullable :D but this goes to show how lazy journalism has become.

As my dad always says, you never knew we were siging someone back in the day till they ran out on the pitch on a Saturday, and half the crowd would sit there, confused going "WHO THE [Poor language removed] IS THAT?"

I was talking about this during my Media & Criminal Justice lecture the other day. Journalists are terribly lazy, when it comes to news stories in general, but especially when it comes to football rumours.

Hate to admit this, but a Kopite friend of mine (I know, I'm sorry) is a member of one of their forums, and a member made up a rumour about Juan Arango of Mallorca? joining the RS, understandably, all their fans (well, at least the one's that can read English, or write) got excited about said rumour and it got out, the press got wind of it, and it ended up on the sky sports website, with quotes being attributed to the player about being flattered by the interest. The lad who made up the rumour then came out and told everyone what he'd done, he called it a social experiment, I call it [Poor language removed] naive [Poor language removed] red [Poor language removed] being gullable :D but this goes to show how lazy journalism has become.

As my dad always says, you never knew we were siging someone back in the day till they ran out on the pitch on a Saturday, and half the crowd would sit there, confused going "WHO THE [Poor language removed] IS THAT?"

We should make up a new rumour about gillette (the best a man can get) buying kaka and ronaldinho to appease the unhappy fans.

Either that or just let them implode in on themselves!!

Classic.

Could you see that happening today? Not in a million years. (y)

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Just who on earth is Ernest Gund?

[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]He's a strong, athletic footballer, capped by the Austrian Under-21 team, and attracting interest from a host of British clubs. Sounds too good to be true? Martin Emmerson went to find out more about this footballing prodigy...

[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] Since the Internet boom began a few years ago football writers have had transfer rumours literally falling into their laptops. [/FONT] [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Once a story appears on a website, there is often a snowball effect to the point where those who broke it in the first place end up running it again a few days later to be on the safe side![/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Midfield prodigy[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Transfer gossip is big news these days. Thousands of column inches are devoted to it. So I suppose it's no surprise when one name creeps onto those lists and ends up causing a stir.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The Observer recently claimed Leeds United had handed a trial to Austrian midfielder Ernest Gund. [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]It was one line in a round-up column. A trawl through varying internet sites reveals the story appeared on the Planet Football website a couple of days before the Observer ran it. The Yorkshire Post had it a couple of days earlier as well.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The Post even said Peter Reid was ready to sign the midfielder on a freeby after he'd turned down an offer from his current club DSV Leoben to sign a new deal. The club, meanwhile, said nothing. But that is quite normal in such cases.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The reports revealed Gund had a reputation as one of the hottest young properties in his country. He had an official website too, detailing his life history. 'Gundweb,' we were informed, was "the best Ernest Gund internet site on the web".[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Top scorer [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]It revealed Ernest's grandfather had emigrated to America in the early 1900s and became famous for running a teddy bear company.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Ernest was top scorer for Leoben in 2000 with 16 goals. He was listed among Austria's sexiest sports personalities and had 7 caps for his country's U21's.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Gund never materialised in a Leeds shirt because he doesn't exist! [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Leeds student Ron Hamilton unearthed the truth. He said: "Some of my friends are Leeds fans and were getting excited about signing a new player - and a good one at that. After about a week he had not materialised in a Leeds shirt so I started looking into him and everything seemed to lead back to a particular website."[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]A few years ago the computer game Championship Manager was born and Ernest Gund was a character created for that.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Merchandise machine [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Ron added: "The website was odd. From what I could tell it was set up by a young man called Joe Campioni who seems to have got a bit too much into the computer game Championship Manager and devoted an unhealthy amount of his time to setting up a website to a made-up player."[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The website even has a shop on it where you can buy souvenirs as bizarre as BBQ aprons. [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]And most tellingly, there's a diary section too. The last entry has our man flying into Manchester Airport to start his trial with Leeds. [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Is the diary section where the papers and websites got their information from? [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Neil Clegg is an Everton fan and runs a site called Toffeeweb. It would appear he and his pals are behind the Ernest Gund hoax. Whether Joe Campioni exists remains to be seen too! [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The group were responsible for a spoof site last year. It was set up to petition for the release of Steve Ogrizovich from a foreign jail. The former Coventry City keeper was in fact safe and well in England and had never been imprisoned, but that didn't stop nearly 600 people adding their names to the petition.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Summer target[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Neil says: "We started thinking about the Ernest Gund thing a year ago so we set the website up. Joe Campioni is the lad behind it all but he's shy and only 16 so I handle any queries.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"We basically wanted to start a rumour and watch it blossom and it has worked well. We tried putting Ernest's name on a few chat sites for smaller clubs like Charlton. No-one really picked up on the name though but then we started getting Gundweb on the internet and recognised by the likes of GOOGLE and before long the ball was rolling.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"This summer we targetted Leeds and it all came off. The story got in the national papers which was just incredible. If you go on the website though you can actually buy the merchandise on it!" [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]So the next time your club is linked with a weird and wonderful player from abroad, don't get carried away too quickly, until he actually materialises.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]

http://www.bbc.co.uk/wear/sport/2003/09/09/gund.shtml

Goes to show just how [Poor language removed] LAZY those morons are.

*Don't know who Neil Clegg is, can't find any reference to him on the TW website.*
[/FONT]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back