2022/23 Sean Dyche

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don’t know but if we’re flirting with relegation heavily again next season then we aren’t really stable are we?
That would suggest to me that the squad is still in a really poor state rather than a reflection on Dyche personally. Just going by recent evidence like..

....are you sure that was me?

Maybe not, similar avatar colour:

Not true. Doucoure didn't even play under Lampard to know if he'd improved.

McNeil was good all season. He's also managed McNeil for about 100 years.

Don't be a flute.

McNeil has been exactly the same all season and if he has "improved" it's not like he doesn't know the player. Gana has been pretty damn average the whole season. Garner was injured for nearly all of Lampard's tenure? Coleman, played the same all season, Doucoure didn't play under Lampard and is just as average as he has been since we signed him.

Which ones?

Not being funny, just curious.

Gary O’Neil had a terrible Bournemouth squad safe with 5 games to go. Marco Silva finished in the top half with newly promoted Fulham. You can’t honestly tell me there aren’t managers out there that have got more out of their squads than Dyche has with his so far.

Seems reasonable to give him this year with a pre-season and some new players - see how stable we are at that point and then give him the season.

If we are tanking like Lampard we have to make an adjustment depending on who is available.

I have a lot more faith in Dyche than Lampard but will the board throw him under the bus by not getting players in ?

If they don't back him and the squad is even worse than this one then I'd expect we are relegated with whoever anyway.

Gary O’Neil had a terrible Bournemouth squad safe with 5 games to go. Marco Silva finished in the top half with newly promoted Fulham. You can’t honestly tell me there aren’t managers out there that have got more out of their squads than Dyche has with his so far.
I'd been saying it throughout the season - but I genuinely believe, even now, that Southampton aside we had the worst squad in the Prem. Worse than Fulham, Bournemouth, and even the two clubs we relegated Leicester & Leeds. That's not even factoring in the injuries/suspensions Dyche had to juggle as well.

It's genuinely a minor miracle to me that he managed to get us the points to stay up. With better players and less injury issues I'm really hopefully he has us clear of the bottom 3 next season.

I'd been saying it throughout the season - but I genuinely believe, even now, that Southampton aside we had the worst squad in the Prem. Worse than Fulham, Bournemouth, and even the two clubs we relegated Leicester & Leeds. That's not even factoring in the injuries/suspensions Dyche had to juggle as well.

It's genuinely a minor miracle to me that he managed to get us the points to stay up. With better players and less injury issues I'm really hopefully he has us clear of the bottom 3 next season.

I agree our squad is garbage and not likely to get any better with that idiot Thelwell overseeing the recruitment this summer. I hope Dyche proves to be the manager we need that can get awful players overperforming, because if he doesn’t prove to be that then we should be looking elsewhere.

You don't think McNeil & Doucoure in particular looked transformed under Dyche?

I think people take issue with whether or not the manager has improved that player or wonder has that player even improved or are they just been utilised better.

For me, Doucoure who is 30/31, probably hasn't improved but no doubt that Dyche has made much better use of him. The Doucoure we are seeing now is very similar to the one we saw at the beginning of Benitez's time. Dyche and Benitez knew what kind of player he was and didn't have him trying to play possession/slow build up footy.

As for McNeil, there's no question Dyche is using him better than Lampard was. There is also no question that he has improved, he's 21/22, and has just posted his best goalscoring season in the premier league despite being in a poor side, and coming off last season where his numbers were poor.

So in short, the "has the manager improved them" shout is semantics for me. What I can see is a manager who is using his players correctly and as a result we are seeing better performances.

I don't disagree as such mate but both Fulham and Bournemouth have much more balanced squads with a lot more of an identity, even if some of our individual talent might be better. Dyche took over an imbalanced team, completely on the floor and destined for relegation. I don't want to undermine the work of Silva and certainly not O'Neil, but I genuinely do think they had easier jobs on their hands.

Conversely, Brendan Rodgers (a highly rated coach among the favourites for the Spurs job still) had a highly talented Leicester team in the relegation zone.

There's too many uncertainties with a new manager. We can't afford that risk. From a loyalty perspective, Dyche deserves next season. From a logical perspective, he deserves next season. He's the best manager for the job at this moment 100%

Conversely, Brendan Rodgers (a highly rated coach among the favourites for the Spurs job still) had a highly talented Leicester team in the relegation zone.

There's too many uncertainties with a new manager. We can't afford that risk. From a loyalty perspective, Dyche deserves next season. From a logical perspective, he deserves next season. He's the best manager for the job at this moment 100%

Of course there are worse managers than Dyche out there that have done worse than him. But also he needs to prove that he’s capable of stabilising us, which is why I’m willing give him half of next season before deciding if he’s the right man for this particular job. As I said, if we’re in or around the relegation zone in December his position should be under review.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back