2024/25 Sean Dyche

I'm not accepting we are fighting relegation mate - was encouraged by a lot of quality on show yesterday - i actually think we can raise our sights a little.
Aye. There was a lot more variation than last year definitely.That capitulation is something we are quite adept at however, and have been for many many decades.

Have to disagree.

Mainly due to his ridiculous loyalty to players who shouldn’t be playing, mainly Ashley Young, Michael Keane and to an extent Seamus Coleman.

I don’t want him and his dinosaur attitude and mentality overseeing the integration of new players into this mentally weak squad of footballers he’s been managing for nearly 2 years. .
I know what you mean but to be fair, using yesterday as an example, Ashley Young didn't play and Michael Keane scored a cracker.

His substitutions were nothing short of suicidal, Ndaiye was terrorising them down their left side and did not look tired in fact I'm sure he'd have wanted to stay on and try to get the goal to cap his superb display, Calvert Lewin's hold up play had been excellent and he was keeping their centre backs busy. Meanwhile, after another good display, Oroegbunum looked spent after the hour mark, Coleman also was blowing for tugs by then.

When Bournemouth began to bring their fresh players on it was obvious that they were getting control of the midfield and making inroads along our right flank. They were however still getting nowhere down our left due to the threat of Ndaiye.

Dyche decides to take off Ndaiye, a very tidy footballer with very good possession retention and bring on then player with the second worst touch in then league, clumsy Doucoure and then takes off Calvert Lewin and really places him with Beto, the only player in the league with a worse first touch than Doucoure. Mean while Villa Tim is out on his feet, the first sub should have been him off and Garner on, OBrien should have come on for Coleman and either Harrison or McNeil gone into right wing back. If he wanted to further tighten it up he could have brought Dixon or Young on to help out on the right. Under no circumstances should Ndaiye and Calvert Lewin been replaced by Doucoure and Beto, we just constantly conceded them possession once those changes had been made. New owner or not, I think Dyche is on borrowed time now.

I'm not accepting we are fighting relegation mate - was encouraged by a lot of quality on show yesterday - i actually think we can raise our sights a little.
You have to admit though that Bournemouth were well, well off the pace like. It's not often that teams can't raise their game against us..

I know what you mean but to be fair, using yesterday as an example, Ashley Young didn't play and Michael Keane scored a cracker.
I hear you.

However starting the season with these two as he did, for me was gross negligence. We’ve conceded 10 in 3 games.

Young should never have been given a new contract.
Keane wasn’t good enough last season, he’s hardly likely to have improved.

We’ve wasted 17m of a very limited budget on a centre half he doesn’t think should be picked ahead of Michael Keane.

It’s professional negligence on a grand scale.

I think Dyche set the team up perfectly. He got the subs wrong but that still shouldn't result in shipping 3 goals in such a short space of time.

Plenty of experienced players out there like Pickford, Coleman, Tarks, Gana to have seen the game out once it went to 2-1.

Thats been the clubs biggest problem for decades - not getting in the refs ear, not faking injury to slow a game down, not taking a cynical yellow to stop a dangerous counter attack.
So you admit he got the subs wrong at least.
Something he does habitually.
Were you at the game ?
It was easy to see some players were tiring , Iroegbunam. , Harrison and Coleman .
And also that there were perfectly acceptable replacements on the bench , Garner , OBrien , Dixon and Lindstrøm, yet he elected not to utilise them.
Instead by removing two of most effective players and adjusting positions to accommodate Doucoure , he directly caused us to surrender control of the game to the fresh legs of Bournemouth.
It should be noted that Doucoure and Beto had no influence on the game whatsoever.
His decision making cost us 3 points.
It wasn’t just poor management, it was breathtakingly poor management.

I hear you.

However starting the season with these two as he did, for me was gross negligence. We’ve conceded 10 in 3 games.

Young should never have been given a new contract.
Keane wasn’t good enough last season, he’s hardly likely to have improved.

We’ve wasted 17m of a very limited budget on a centre half he doesn’t think should be picked ahead of Michael Keane.

It’s professional negligence on a grand scale.
This is a big concern for me if I'm honest.

So you admit he got the subs wrong at least.
Something he does habitually.
Were you at the game ?
It was easy to see some players were tiring , Iroegbunam. , Harrison and Coleman .
And also that there were perfectly acceptable replacements on the bench , Garner , OBrien , Dixon and Lindstrøm, yet he elected not to utilise them.
Instead by removing two of most effective players and adjusting positions to accommodate Doucoure , he directly caused us to surrender control of the game to the fresh legs of Bournemouth.
It should be noted that Doucoure and Beto had no influence on the game whatsoever.
His decision making cost us 3 points.
It wasn’t just poor management, it was breathtakingly poor management.
Spot on 100% mate.

Interesting post on the game from the Bournemouth forum about just how bad they were yesterday:

The starting lineup seemed pretty obvious for once, with the inclusion of Brooks on the bench the unexpected positive bonus. With so many familiar faces, the hope would be it would mean our press would be mostly in place and partnerships working from the off. However, football took the opportunity to show us there’s nothing logical about this game.

Everton is not a happy place right now, with a poorly run club struggling on and off the pitch. All we needed to do was get at them from the off and it’d quickly turn toxic. Instead, we may as well have sent them a “Get Well Soon” card and a bunch of grapes such were our attempts to try and help them get better.

Our press was on the one you find in depressive rather than impressive. If anything, we were letting Everton do to us what we aim to do to others. They pressured high as a group to force mistakes, and we fell into the trap time and time again.

Last week I slightly bemoaned us not playing some quick long balls to take advantage of the runs Evanilson was making. Today, we overcompensated like a man who drives a Lamborghini. Except our balls were aimless rather than targeting the clever runs we ignored seven days ago. Horrible.

I'm starting to wonder if Dyche’s gravelly voice is some kind of Jedi mind trick to which everyone AFCB related has no defence. Our record against his teams is mostly abysmal, but it isn’t just that. Even when we get a result we still often look abject.

Our performance away to Everton last season was probably the worst of the lot. After today, their fans must wonder how it is we aren’t getting relegated on eight points every season. I hope and doubt we’ll look that bad again between now and May.

Overall, until they scored, scrappy is the best way to describe the match as a whole. Low quality from both sides, but we were the worst of the two offenders.

At the moment Kluivert is on FM and Evanilson 2G. Not even the same technology, never mind wavelength. This is something we need to work on fast as that’s a key partnership.

The goal when it came wasn’t inevitable, instead, it was gifted. A set piece came in, the ball fell loose and one of our players, I didn’t catch who, tried to clear it but instead wildly spooned it out wide. The ball was banged back in and it fell to an unmarked Everton player to shoot home. All so preventable.

The PL is a cruel and unforgiving place. If we carry on sending out presents it’s going to make the season a long, hard slog.

You can see the difference a goal makes – Everton instantly went from looking poor to skipping past defenders, breaking at pace, and interplaying the ball around us as though we were fielding ten outfield wheelie bins.

With the crowd now totally behind team and their players brimming with confidence, we were all over the place.

The second was more panicking defending punished but let’s be honest, it could and should have been three, four maybe even more. They completely let us off the hook.

To be critical of AI, he didn’t intervene fast enough. No player changes at half time. None immediately after the first goal. It took about eight minutes after the second to see fresh faces. Strangely passive on his part considering what we were seeing on the pitch.

Finally, the changes came on and, although they didn’t make an immediate impact going forward, they at least stopped the onslaught. Slowly, slowly we started taking a bit more control of things and looking a bit better without creating anything decent.

In my notes I was about to say that never mind Pickford, Everton could have put Thomas Tugoose in goal and we still wouldn’t have scored when almost out of nowhere a Dango cross was poked home by Semenyo.

Bang! In a moment everything changed. It may have taken until about the 87th minute but they were suddenly nervy with a restless crowd expecting the worst and waiting to pounce on the players they were meant to be supporting, scouse phlegm pebble dashing the pitch such were the andry and despairing shouts.

And then it happened again, this time a great cross from Sinisterra and that man mountain of a goalscorer Lewis Cook swept aside the entire Everton defence as he planted a header home. Either that or he made an excellent late run into the box and took advantage of being unmarked to score well. More of that from him please!

Suddenly, absolute chaos reigned... it looked like we might snatch it but Pickford made a couple of excellent saves. Did I say Thomas Tugoose? Forget that, This Is England’s goalkeeper.

There was still time for one last chance and incredibly Sinisterra nodded home a winner to complete a late comeback for the ages. We were nowhere for 87 minutes and now 3-2 ahead. What just happened? How?

Let’s be honest, that was an absolute heist. I imagine the players will spend the week fielding calls from organised crime syndicates from across the world on the best ways to commit a robbery.

We deserved nothing but a thrashing until the 87th minute. We come away with three points. After the week we’ve had from VAR and officials, maybe the deity of football decided to intervene on our behalf?

Kepa Watch
I was a little worried when the first cross came in from a corner and he was absolutely miles away from it and just collapsed to the ground hoping for a free kick. He’ll soon learn that whilst he may get a decision like that at Chelsea, he won’t at AFCB.

It looks like he wants to command his area but he never quite managed it today. Still, the intent is there.

Made a few decent saves. Not perfect, but not a bad start for someone’s first match of the season.

Selected Player Watch

--- Christie and Cook ---
Lost the midfield battle today. Heavily. But they never stopped because in football you never know. Keep going and sometimes things will turn. Today was one of those days.

--- Semenyo ---
Once again not his best match but once again he scored. If he carries on tormenting defenders in one game and then scoring in the matches where he isn’t playing so well then he’s going to have some season.

--- Dango ---
Ok, it wasn’t the goal he deserved after what had gone before, but his assist sparked the comeback. I hope he takes great pleasure and pride in that. I know some have been fans of Tav’s start to the season, but I’m in the opposite group, and based on what we’ve seen in the last seven days, I’d be starting Dango ahead of him in the next match.

--- Araujo and Evanilson ---
When you first start going out with someone, you can be dazzled by those initial flashes of attraction but over time you become more familiar with their flaws. Football transfers can be a bit like that as well. No need to go in too hard on them today. It was a bad, bad, bad day at the office for a lot of players out there. Draw a line under it and let’s see what they’ve got next time out.

AI and Tactics Watch

Footballers are not automatons. Sometimes, everything can look good on paper, but it just doesn’t click. That was today's lineup and that performance was one where we needed intervention from the bench. With five subs available, there are plenty of options in the modern game but AI was too slow to take the nuclear option that was clearly required, instead tinkering with other things.

Subs won't always change a game but there are days when you need to roll that dice early. That we got away with it shouldn’t alter that viewpoint. We didn’t get what we deserved today, and we can’t rely on an Everton style collapse every week.

Dyche outthought AI today and he didn’t really have an answer that worked with the starting XI. The subs did make a difference though.

All that said, this will be a day that lives with us fans for decades to come. My dog is thinking of getting me an appointment with a therapist as it thinks I have issues after the way I celebrated like a lunatic when that winner went it. My wife just shook her head sadly at her life choices.

We go into the international break on five points which is healthy after three matches and also eases the pressure a little for the tough games to come.

Oh, and today will be one of those rare days when I do tune in to watch MOTD. Just to enjoy that ending all over again.

His substitutions were nothing short of suicidal, Ndaiye was terrorising them down their left side and did not look tired in fact I'm sure he'd have wanted to stay on and try to get the goal to cap his superb display, Calvert Lewin's hold up play had been excellent and he was keeping their centre backs busy. Meanwhile, after another good display, Oroegbunum looked spent after the hour mark, Coleman also was blowing for tugs by then.

When Bournemouth began to bring their fresh players on it was obvious that they were getting control of the midfield and making inroads along our right flank. They were however still getting nowhere down our left due to the threat of Ndaiye.

Dyche decides to take off Ndaiye, a very tidy footballer with very good possession retention and bring on then player with the second worst touch in then league, clumsy Doucoure and then takes off Calvert Lewin and really places him with Beto, the only player in the league with a worse first touch than Doucoure. Mean while Villa Tim is out on his feet, the first sub should have been him off and Garner on, OBrien should have come on for Coleman and either Harrison or McNeil gone into right wing back. If he wanted to further tighten it up he could have brought Dixon or Young on to help out on the right. Under no circumstances should Ndaiye and Calvert Lewin been replaced by Doucoure and Beto, we just constantly conceded them possession once those changes had been made. New owner or not, I think Dyche is on borrowed time now.
Good analysis - Dyche needs sacking & a young influential manager to come in - a Manager who understands the modern game & no HOOF Ball ....

If you believe that your on a hiding to nothing and making excuses for mental midget players - im not wholly excusing Dyche ive critiqued above.

But if you look at the second half performance its some of the best stuff weve played in ages, dominated and looked really dangerous - of course a lot of players butchered the usual gilt edged.

But i think if you look at the second half as a whole, the game plan in the second half was very good, we came out played things more centrally as opposed to hitting the wing every time and we tore them at times - if he and the players are taking responsibility for system breakdown - then id credit them for dominating the second half to.

There are positives to take from yesterday. Illy and Tim really added quality we have been missing and others were buzzing off them - until the players decidied to check out with 7 mins to go.
All the positives of yesterday were critically undermined by extremely poor in game management decisions.
As long as that remains a threat through the continued presence of their author we will always be at risk of abject failure however well we are positioned beforehand.
Perhaps if the manager stopped ‘sniffing ‘ everything and learned how to proactively manage a game we might actually get some points on the table.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back