Show me the money

Status
Not open for further replies.
Haha who was that lad who made that google doc the other week about a predicted league table or something? Similar effort here

i agree...i was just ironically paraphrasing our pointy captain.

Thing is though mate, Neville is right that in terms of finances, the fact that we're finishing in the top ten is an over achievment.

He's wrong mainly in how he uses that fact.

1) I think the level of competence required to spend money better than say newcastle, liverpool or villa all of whom have spent more money on their squds and pay them bigger wages isn't that high. You just have to not be the kind of idot who'd spend ten million on babel or reo-coker or 35 million on carroll. See Norwich and swansea as an example of how just not being entirely stupid is enough for midtable. Allardyce at bolton and hughes at blackburn managed top 8 or better on worse finances just again by not being complete morons.

2) I think this squad, while assembled very cheaply, is more than good enough for top 4 let alone top ten and they have to look at themselves for underachieving rather than patting their manager on the back for not paying a lot for them.

3) I think the fact that we're 14th or 15th in terms of spending on our team isn't acceptable and that rather than using it as badge of pride we should be outraged that a club this good is being outmuscled in the market by lowmarks like qpr or stoke.

4) You don't win any trophies for finishing top ten. You do for beating wigan, millwall and city you fecking pointy bottler.

Notice we were top 5 in some of those tables - "we're on the march ...."

(right off the end of the Pier Head)

They don't fold, though. Look at rangers, and protsmouth and real madrid. Football clubs are supported and kept from folding in a way no other businesses are.

Who keeps them in business though mate? Ok, another way is that these business are now suffering the effects of their decisions and their earning power is massively reduced due to mismanagement.

Pompey will be paying for it for 30 years IMO. Thats if they even find a way to continue to trade!

Who keeps them in business though mate? Ok, another way is that these business are now suffering the effects of their decisions and their earning power is massively reduced due to mismanagement.

Pompey will be paying for it for 30 years IMO. Thats if they even find a way to continue to trade!

Of the top 100 british clubs 50 years ago all are still around.

There is not a single other industry where that's true.

Fans and communitys protect their football clubs in a way they don't other buisnesses, hence all the clubs that come back from the brink like fulham or swansea.

The point is that the game isn't healthy and the clubs need to get together and agree on rules that will protect themselves. Starting with a salary cap.

Of the top 100 british clubs 50 years ago all are still around.

There is not a single other industry where that's true.

Fans and communitys protect their football clubs in a way they don't other buisnesses, hence all the clubs that come back from the brink like fulham or swansea.

The point is that the game isn't healthy and the clubs need to get together and agree on rules that will protect themselves. Starting with a salary cap.

Their customers rally and keep them trading.

If people had run into Woolies and bought everything off the shelves and people started downloading all their music via HMV then they stay open.

Football businesses just have a greater connection with their customers and other customers of that business. See what happened when that spanish club near went bust and we all bought shares.

For me administration is effectively bust. I agree it isn't healthy but you don't have to run your club like Fernandes or Gaydamak. Owners choose to.

Why shouldn't a footballer who's worth £40m a season to a club be allowed to earn the same as an actor who's worth that to a studio?

Why shouldn't a footballer who's worth £40m a season to a club be allowed to earn the same as an actor who's worth that to a studio?

When every club is making a loss? Despite match tickets being hugely inflated in price?

Because they can't afford to pay it. But it's a MAD thing, where they also can't afford not to.

Clearly we need a change at the top but I also think we need to look at the whole 'young ages , low wages' type structure .

For all lescott could add footballing wise and for all the huge fee we received initially could taint the overall picture as a business plan I'm not sure it's a great one exactly the same as the pienaar deal may have made footballing sense the way the whole deal was handled was a complete business disaster .

When every club is making a loss? Despite match tickets being hugely inflated in price?

Because they can't afford to pay it. But it's a MAD thing, where they also can't afford not to.

How are they doing it AF??? Money's coming in from somewhere??? It could all collapse in spectacular fashion soon. But that predicted collapse never comes. They find the money. Like any business could if they wanted to that badly.

If you apply this to Footballers it has to go right across society.

How are they doing it AF??? Money's coming in from somewhere??? It could all collapse in spectacular fashion soon. But that predicted collapse never comes. They find the money. Like any business could if they wanted to that badly.

If you apply this to Footballers it has to go right across society.

I don't care about society, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back