Match Thread Southampton v Everton Preview, Match Report and MotM Poll

Everton Man of the Match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I do think Frank has something about him, I think he can keep us up but we have so many players that need replacing it will take countless millions and years to turn things around and that is with a board that knows what they are doing, this board has overseen the continuous decline of a once great football club until it is now on its knees. There is a chance that Frank and the new stadium can act as a catalyst for change but that change needs to be preceded by a complete revamp of the boardroom.
This and unfortunately, it appears that the 'Strategic Review' does not include the the oversight of the Board.

Only plus I take from yesterday's shambles is that we at least took the game to the opposition at the start of each half, unlike under the previous manager where we surrendered the initiative from the beginning. That's obviously the way Lampard wants us to play but the players weren't good enough or mentally strong enough to sustain it.

Frustrating to watch after last week. Every time we got the ball, 2 or 3 passes and we lost possession. Every time they got the ball they were afforded time and they just played through us. Individual mistakes are one thing, but the whole team needed to raise their game yesterday. It was a poor performance, same as the Newcastle game. Work to do Frank.

Southampton gave us a football lesson today on how to pass a ball to their own men, we must be the worst passing team in the league. After last week all the usual culprits were back to their normal rubbish. Gomers was beyond bad today he should never play again.

Southampton have done this to us a few times in recent years too. I quite like their manager tbh.

So after following the game on here, I’ve just watched MOTD. You can blame Gomes all you like but I’m sorry, Keane again with an awful bobbling pass to him with two Saints players right behind Gomes which Keane should have been easily able to see. He’s completely without any footballing nouse. It’ll be a miracle if we don’t go down with this utter liability on the pitch every week.

I so desperately wanted to be proven wrong, but yesterday just confirmed my worst fears. Rewarding the "weaker" players with starting line-up positions, off the back of an excellent win/performance the previous week, only to fall to pieces again the following week. It's becoming a regular occurrence with Everton and I'm getting mighty sick of it.

We really do need to stop kidding ourselves. The likes of Kenny, Holgate, Keane, Coleman, Gomes, Iwobi, (and dare I say DCL?) simply aren't good enough for this club. No consistency whatsoever and not a leader amongst them who can exude confidence, encouragement and demand the best out of his teammates. The body language after we concede a goal is just sickening.

Some of these players would be lucky to compete in the top half in the Championship. I can't wait to see the back of most of this lot...feel no connection with them at all.

Inappropriate Language
Well, I've always thought of Goodison as being full of whingers. Sadly as the weather is [Poor language removed] today and after reading the comments from weds on, up till yesterday, Saints weren't even fit to be on the same pitch as Everton. The mood changed and the referee became the difference between the teams, for not awarding the blues a penalty. So so biased except for a few fans. It was a good game, apart from their comments. I was lucky enough to watch at the dell Everton's great side in 1985, absolutely brilliant they thrashed us, Lineker and one of my favourites Trevor Steven, were outstanding. Fans give players confidence, but people who think their team should win every game don't. For Christ's sake enjoy football, or don't put yourself through the agony.

So after following the game on here, I’ve just watched MOTD. You can blame Gomes all you like but I’m sorry, Keane again with an awful bobbling pass to him with two Saints players right behind Gomes which Keane should have been easily able to see. He’s completely without any footballing nouse. It’ll be a miracle if we don’t go down with this utter liability on the pitch every week.
I agree it was a bad pass but I also think if Gomes had been more alive he could've turned and released the ball quicker. It was a bit different to the Alli incident at NUFC for example, where he had someone on him before he could do anything.

It wasn’t a bobble pass, it was a simple af pass than anyone with a football brain should be able to control. Gomes however is weak as piss and lost it easily putting the team in trouble

They must be the biggest bunch of bluffers on the training pitch, it's when you're under pressure that counts, they just wilt like weeds. No hunger.

The highlights on youtube could've been put together by a Soton fan! Thanks god I watched the game live or I'd have thought we stayed home because of the poor weather conditions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.