Match Thread Southampton v Everton (Sunday 25 October 14:00)

Everton Man of the Match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
As sad as that result made me, it was probably the best time for it to happen. We needed a big reality check. I expect Carlo to be far more pragmatic in these games from now on. You have to let the Southamptons, Bournemouth’s, Blackpools and Norwiches beat themselves. Trying to match them played into their hands with Richy missing.

ive read many times in this forum that the beat everton as a result of them having more pace and phisicality., and even some saying that kind of football "counters" everton stile... i cant agree with neither of those statements.

they were just better on that evening thats it, how? 1. played almost perfectly and 2. everton coulndnt pass the ball accurate enough to drain their stamina, NO team can chase the ball for ever, not bayern, liverpool, or even prime barsa... everton help their pressure many times playing short to a covered player playing with his back to the goal and refusing to trow a long ball and FIGHT for the rebound.

on their offense, i must say they exploited PRETTY well the obvious hole in the right side: James is not a defender and godfrey is not A RB (poor guy was sacrificed there, second worse only to iwobi). that coupled with a 1 man only pressure made em look way too good, the solution when you cant pressure high? BUCKLE up and wait with all your men behind the ball and yes , counter attack. but well carlo is not that kind of manager.

am pretty sure they wouldnt look so good vs a tight defense with almost zero meters to run , very few teams have the creative players to work a short accurate passing game and most PL teams lack those kind of players , sometimes you have to weather the storm and bunker up a liltle to then launch a quick counter.

While Richy was missed, Coleman just as much in my opinion. We were forced to play Ben Godfrey out of his normal position and they capitalized on that. Not knocking Godfrey by any means because I feel like he has a lot of potential and will be a very nice player for us these next few years, talk about a good athlete.

While Richy was missed, Coleman just as much in my opinion. We were forced to play Ben Godfrey out of his normal position and they capitalized on that. Not knocking Godfrey by any means because I feel like he has a lot of potential and will be a very nice player for us these next few years, talk about a good athlete.
Yep

We had no attacking outlet down the right or left and were offensively bereft through the middle. A classic shitshow.

Problem as well is we are slow as hell

Siggurdsson
Gomes
Iwobi
Bernard
Keane
Mina

All run like tugboats and struggle against teams with pace and do little to threaten the opposition.

BuT wE dOnT nEeD pAcE dOh LaDs

Problem as well is we are slow as hell

Siggurdsson
Gomes
Iwobi
Bernard
Keane
Mina

All run like tugboats and struggle against teams with pace and do little to threaten the opposition.

BuT wE dOnT nEeD pAcE dOh LaDs

quit the pace thing, pace is only needed when theres space to run it... if you try to press high with said slow team, then yes, you will need speedy players BUT if you just adjust and let em come, i bet 1 arms southampton would look very bad vs a tight close double 4 lines of defenders. just look at what happened after dignes red card. carlo went FULL italian with zero high pressure... instantly they didnt look so sharp and good, even with a man disadvantage the actual meters to run where a lot less , so they cant navigate so freely .

you cant change your players (well you can but need multiple windows to do so) it is easier to change your DEFENSIVE style to match your actual players. just buckle up and play from there.

where buddy?? and can u please tag in the worst dissenters.

I don’t want to be in the shiote myself.

But these shouts can get indie bin

D3A1DE5B-3DDF-4DBD-A590-E79745B1985D.webp

EEB940AE-1FA7-4781-8B92-B61B845AEBD1.webp

Just had the misfortune of reading this Kopite infested rant by the Guardian Fiver's Scott Murray:

On Sunday, leaders Everton had their charcoal and seafoam shorts handed to them by Southampton at St Mary’s. To be fair, they’d been stitched up good and proper by that piece of work Virgil van Dijk, who as Carlo Ancelotti explained the other day, stuck one on their star man James Rodríguez in the first minute of the recent Merseyside derby, limiting him to just 179 of 179 minutes of football since. Not only that, by sneakily enticing Jordan Pickford into that crotch-first challenge, the wily Van Dijk has cleverly established a virulent anti-Everton agenda within the refereeing community, clearly evidenced by the red card awarded to Lucas Digne for taking a wild swipe at Kyle Walker-Peters, missing, then clumsily standing on his ankle and bending his leg to an alarming degree. Virgil, you rotter!

“Maybe all the rumours all week against Pickford affected the decision,” insisted Ancelotti, his studied super-cool slipping a little after the match. “The red card was a joke.” While the Fiver certainly agrees that Digne didn’t mean to land on Walker-Peters’s leg, he was however out of control to an extent that his opponent was in danger. It’s also the third time in two games that an Everton player has, intentionally or not, made such a challenge, the Digne recklessness coming hot on the heels (no pun intended) of Richarlison vs Thiago Alcântara and the Battle of Jordan’s Junk.

Asked whether Everton are developing a little problem here, Ancelotti bristled. “It’s not right. It’s not fair. It was not the right decision. We will appeal for sure.” Many more of these careless challenges, though, and they’ll soon be getting themselves a reputation. They’ll not be getting the Leftfield Title Contenders or Hipsters’ Choice tags off Bielsa any time soon … though perhaps there’s another descriptor they could take from the men from Elland Road? Five letters; answers on a postcard."

Every time I read this kind of Kopite-arse licking stuff I take another hearty laugh at Van Dijk's leg hanging off.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back