Speke From The Harbour - final edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Merseyzig

Player Valuation: £6m
In the minds of many the internet has taken over from fanzines as the forum for football supporters to voice their thoughts about their clubs. Nevertheless, this Saturday (and the Newcastle match) sees the last edition of Speke From The Harbour on sale, and a little piece of history goes with it I suppose.

Personally I'll be really sorry to see it go. It's a totally different publication to WSAG and the first time I bought it I was really surprised - I thought the articles in WSAG portrayed how most Evertonians thought and acted, but here was another version. I still love WSAG, like, but it was good to get different viewpoints and the humour was different, too, in SFTH.

So - who out there still buys fanzines and, if so, why?

SFTH was always a bit tame. WSAG was excellent in the early days (not to be confused with the spineless, up it's own arse website). George Orr's stuff is good to read if you're into your 'istory.

Sad that mate - i normally get WSAG but will buy SFTH - sorry to hear it is closing down

Its a shame there will be no more SFTH, I suppose its the way the world is going. I bought a copy when I went to my first match probably because of the good banter the guy seller it was giving, and as we won it turned into a pre match ritual to buy one every time I managed to get to a game. It was a good read and always helped fill a bit of time on the long train journey home.

I only ever bought a couple of SFTH but still sad to hear it's finishing.

Re WSAG, in the early years wsag was great around editions 1 to 50 as it was about pushing the boundaries and challenging subjects such as racism which was more prominent back then. However it gradually descended into complete and utter ****e. Trying to tell people how to act, think and dress at the match. Any fan movements were slaughtered and made fun of too. They became a big part in creating the apathetic and self-conscious Evertonian obsessed with phrases such as kopite behaviour, smalltime and cringeworthy.

I only ever bought a couple of SFTH but still sad to hear it's finishing.

Re WSAG, in the early years wsag was great around editions 1 to 50 as it was about pushing the boundaries and challenging subjects such as racism which was more prominent back then. However it gradually descended into complete and utter ****e. Trying to tell people how to act, think and dress at the match. Any fan movements were slaughtered and made fun of too. They became a big part in creating the apathetic and self-conscious Evertonian obsessed with phrases such as kopite behaviour, smalltime and cringeworthy.

I'm apathetic now, thats a new one

In the minds of many the internet has taken over from fanzines as the forum for football supporters to voice their thoughts about their clubs. Nevertheless, this Saturday (and the Newcastle match) sees the last edition of Speke From The Harbour on sale, and a little piece of history goes with it I suppose.

Personally I'll be really sorry to see it go. It's a totally different publication to WSAG and the first time I bought it I was really surprised - I thought the articles in WSAG portrayed how most Evertonians thought and acted, but here was another version. I still love WSAG, like, but it was good to get different viewpoints and the humour was different, too, in SFTH.

So - who out there still buys fanzines and, if so, why?

I'll be honest, I don't think I've ever bought a SFTH issue, but I might buy the final one.

Always sad when something like this falls by the wayside. I know everything doesn't last forever and times move on, but it's sad none the less.

yes, sad to see it go. I bought a few copies down the years but was enticed into reading WSAG as my arl fella always got it until it went a bit sh1t around issue 75ish always enjoyed "laugh along with those loveable reds" however I must admit font by any now just enjoy GOT infact I was a regular reader of BK until I found GOT and here I shall stay

Gutted to see it go. Publisher is a top bloke. I had just a few pieces in there at the end. Am proud to say that Dresden Blue and Mrs DB came by my place for a weekend once. Top people all around. I think Dressies match reports have always been my favorite next to my own. In fact, he is so good that I tried to parody him a few times for the fun of it but found it impossible. His reports were just enough self-parody and serious that I could just not get a handle on taking the piss. Shame one of the final issues had to be about the passing of Mark's mum. Quality people involved with that operation all the way around. Including the birds in the back...

Been a few years since I've been gone from T'Net but SFTH is the one from Mark Staniford, right? Sorry you had to let it slide, mate. Also, if it's the same Mark, sorry to read in the previous post that your mum passed.

Same Mark. He put out a great issue dedicated to her. She used to help sell the mag outside the park before matches.

Don't know if the editor goes on here, to be honest. My favourite bit would be the sermon or the very incorrect 'Daily Lamb'.

As a fan and regular matchgoer, I was never really into fanzines for some reason. However, this forum I've really got into. Sad to see something close, but gotta say, I like it here on GOT

Status
Not open for further replies.