Summer 2018 Transfer Window

Status
Not open for further replies.
I get what people are saying about not wanting players just because they look good in a World Cup.

But Gary Breen had just been released by Coventry City. This lad Mina was signed by Barcelona for millions last summer. There is a difference..

Been linked with 3-4 CBS in that mould recently, it's almost like the DoF and manager have a plan isn't it...
Bensabaibi 23, Tierney 21, Mena 23...

Almost like we are looking at a certain age range isn't it?

I know lots of people think it's an either or, and by all means it could easily be any 2 from those 3 but given the strength of some of the reports, the profile of the players and the broader outlook I wouldn't rule out Everton being in for all 3.

Tierney is an out and out left back, I know he's done a job in a central defensive 2 but he'd be too small to do it in England. It has gone a bit quiet on that front but I don't necessarily think thats a bad thing. My own view is Celtic have looked to move him on, found a suitor in Everton and a lot of the reports our end were as much about sounding the lad out. I'd predict we are thrashing out the way the deal is structured with Celtic currently.

Bensabaibi looks a versatile defender, I'd imagine is being bought at a centre back but could fill in as a left back if needed. I think it outs enormous question marks over Baines, who while I have a lot of time for may be moved on. He doesn't fit Silva's style, and Brands will see him as a depleting asset on big money. Bensabaibi is a left field unknown name so fits the bill.

Mena has come from left field somewhat. Could just be the agent trying to use us. However the Dutch and Barcelona have quite strong connections, as do PSV (dating back to Ronaldo and Bobby Robson). I wouldn't rule out conversations happening before the World Cup. He seems the sort of player who'd have been on PSV's radar, he'd flopped at Barca but clearly has a lot of talent and probably needs a step down to build confidence. If thats the case Tuesday's performance will have thrown a spanner in the works.

Alternatively we could have been convinced by his display on Tuesday. He is available for loan initially so there is very little risk on the transfer and no commitment to a long term fee. Whatever people think of loan signings, they are a lot more risk free, especially when buying from the continent (Imagine if Klaasen & Sandro were loans initially!). There will be an element of pragmatism in this.

We will be losing at least 2 centre backs. If we can move Martina on maybe 2 left backs, so I can easily see a world where all 3 are signed. I'd be extremely happy if we did that.

Benesbaini seems an underwhelming signing, so i’m guessing that is the most likely to happen.

Not saying he won’t turn out excellent long term, but putting him straight in a central defence with Keane would worry me.

Brands may have scouted mina before, but he chose to go to barca. If there is genuine interest I highly doubt its based on world cup performances.

As soon as I saw him in the wc I wanted him... Then I found out he'd just moved to barca so that was the end of that.

I strongly suspect, given the speed and also how seriously we are being linked talks would have been happening before the world cup mate. He seems the exact sort of player who'd have signed for PSV on loan if Columbia had bombed out. His performances will have confused matters and raised his profile further and I don't think Brands will be held to ransom on players. We may see something similar re Lozano too by the way.

Mina (or any CB)
Tierney
RLC
Lozano

along with shifting 5/6 more bodies would be fantastic business.

Dream summer that. I’d even be happy with 2 out the 4.

Not a chance are we getting Mina or Tierney. Pure fantasy, sorry.

Why though? It’s a left back from an unproven league and a guy Barca seemingly don’t want. We pay big wages and they’d be guaranteed starters in a side pushing Europe. It’s hardly Alba and Hummels we're after here.

Everything I've seen says he's a centre back whose able to cover left back mate, so I'm guessing s direct upgrade and replacement for Mori

It looks to me like Silva has said he wants a commanding Centre back and a left back. The offer for Mori was likely too good to turn down and the money received will be spent on the lad in question. It's left field but I'm quite happy with that. Signing established players and getting into bidding wars with West Ham, Leicester and Newcastle is not only annoying but a thankless way to operate.

Dream summer that. I’d even be happy with 2 out the 4.

Why though? It’s a left back from an unproven league and a guy Barca seemingly don’t want. We pay big wages and they’d be guaranteed starters in a side pushing Europe. It’s hardly Alba and Hummels we're after here.

They will have much better options than mid-table prem club mate.

Looks like Ronaldo is off to Juventus which, in turn, means Real Madrid will sign someone like Neymar or Mbappe for £250m. We best get some business done ASAP because the prices are about to sky-rocket.....again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back