Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Summer 2018 Transfer Window

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe not far off mate but he's definitely on more than that - I think it's due to image rights etc so perhaps that's more sponsorship than anything else, but it's sponsorship through United, if you get me.

I'd be shocked if he's pulling in less than 90k p/week.

Not saying we couldn't still double that and pay him 180k, like, but I just don't think he'd come to us. I think he'll have a host of top clubs after him.

It's a deal I'd love us to go for but we need to have learned our lessons and know it's not realistic.

Fair points BT. He does need to be no. 1 somewhere though. If he wants to stay in the Premiership (not saying he does), we're not far off his best option. Of the clubs that finished above us, who would he start ahead of as a no. 9? Burnley aside.

Martial was highly rated before he signed for the Mancs, Mourinho - surprise, surprise - has misused him, there will be plenty of elite clubs after him, we are not one of them - yet.

Surely it works on an accumulative basis though? So making untold millions through selling our best players to our rivals, such as Stones, Lukaku and Barkley, makes up for making a loss on the likes of Klaassen, who was bought with money from player sales anyway?

oh yeah of course, but I was just saying from that deal on for example, like selling at a loss in general is not a good practise

and when you roll into the next financial period everything that gone on before however long ago becomes ignored

sort of like the rule "you can increase your wages by X million + profit brought in within 12 months" but as soon as that 12 months is over your back to the X million, even if you didn't use everything you could last time

so bearing in mind that, I do feel like we missed the boat when we sold stones, we were probably realistically looking at the witsels/matas/koulibalys, but that ship sailed when we didn't get them in there and then, and by the time last summer came round we needed to replace barkley and lukaku so changed targets (even though we didn't replace lukaku haha)

Fair points BT. He does need to be no. 1 somewhere though. If he wants to stay in the Premiership (not saying he does), we're not far off his best option. Of the clubs that finished above us, who would he start ahead of as a no. 9? Burnley aside.

Don't think he's arsed about starting as a 9 - he wouldn't start there for France anyway.

He's an inside forward, and i reckon he'd get in at Arsenal, Spurs and Chelsea.

We'll see :)

Definitely, but we'd still be able to shift those players on for about £20m plus so the gain we'd make in that would make up flies such a scenario. Every transfer is a risk tbf.
Point is, if they turn out rubbish you can't sell them on for £20million plus (or even less) because no buying club would match the huge wages we've paid to get them 'on the cheap'. The player is not suddenly going to take a 50% pay cut - who would? It's a huge risk and Carvalho is very much in the 'could be good, could be bad' category. To be stuck with him taking £8 million per year in wages (£150k per week - not unrealistic without transfer fee) is a scenario we are rightly wary of (hopefully!).

Point is, if they turn out rubbish you can't sell them on for £20million plus (or even less) because no buying club would match the huge wages we've paid to get them 'on the cheap'. The player is not suddenly going to take a 50% pay cut - who would? It's a huge risk and Carvalho is very much in the 'could be good, could be bad' category. To be stuck with him taking £8 million per year in wages (£150k per week - not unrealistic without transfer fee) is a scenario we are rightly wary of (hopefully!).

We’d be better off giving them a substantial signing on fee (which could hopefully be recovered by a transfer fee) and lower wages.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back