Summer 2024 transfer thread.

I can see why people roll their eyes about this plan - the likelihood of getting all of these transfers done within our financial constraints is close to zero.

I do agree with Zat's general concept though. We have too many players on huge wages who make marginal contributions at most, and the sooner we get rid of them the better.

Of Zat's list of "outs", DCL and Beto are the last two I'd let go. If the others all went and we received £5m each for Godfrey, Keane, Holgate, Doucouré, Gomes, Gana and Maupay we'd have enough of a task on our hands to re-stock the squad. Selling DCL and Beto on top of that wouldn't bring in enough cash to buy one striker so there would be no point, IMHO.

The key to this type of approach would be somehow fleecing a Saudi club, getting some absurd fee for Doucouré and/or Gomes. If the DoF can pull that off then we can keep Onana and Branthwaite and still have funds to spend.

The key point that some posters are missing is the number of out of contract players: Lonergan, Young, Gomes, Coleman, Gana, Dele + Harrison & Danjuma finishing their loans = 8 players before any work needs to be done.

So, we should have sold Gomes last summer but we do have Doucoure that we could try and sell to Saudi as you suggest.

Holgate, Keane and Godfrey could be transfer listed with Maupay, DCL & Beto. Potentially thats enough for a 3rd choice centre back & a starting centre forward.

In total it would mean 8 players out of contract & 7 players for sale.

As ive previously mentioned, this takes us down to 12 players -- however, this season weve only had 17 players with over 5 matches worth of game time.

The wages saved would be astronomical and fees reinvested into high potential youth with loans to act as cover.

@Zatara
On the 8 out of contract I can see you giving one year extensions to two of them. Coleman and Gana. We need to assemble a squad. They won’t start (much). I think your other 4 go.

We will try to sell holgate, Keane and Maupay. I think he will keep Godfrey. Selling them is easier said than done. He won’t sell DCL, possibly Beto though.

We will add 4 loans (Harrison will likely be one). It doesn’t feel like anyone comes out of the Youth Teams.

I genuinely can’t see how we keep Branthwaite and Onana given our cash position with the loans and stadium. We are 20m underwater each month at present

You not as mad as you seem Zat but the changes will be watered down significantly from what you expect

The key point that some posters are missing is the number of out of contract players: Lonergan, Young, Gomes, Coleman, Gana, Dele + Harrison & Danjuma finishing their loans = 8 players before any work needs to be done.

So, we should have sold Gomes last summer but we do have Doucoure that we could try and sell to Saudi as you suggest.

Holgate, Keane and Godfrey could be transfer listed with Maupay, DCL & Beto. Potentially thats enough for a 3rd choice centre back & a starting centre forward.

In total it would mean 8 players out of contract & 7 players for sale.

As ive previously mentioned, this takes us down to 12 players -- however, this season weve only had 17 players with over 5 matches worth of game time.

The wages saved would be astronomical and fees reinvested into high potential youth with loans to act as cover.
I do see your point and generally the maths works. I don't agree however that just because we've only used a core of 17 players this year that we should be aiming to have a small squad in future. Obviously there has to be a balancing act though - no point padding out the squad with older players on high wages *just* because they're free agents.

I forgot Gomes and Gana are out of contract. We'll get nothing for either of them so if either would accept significant wage cuts in return for another year then maybe we consider keeping them (if cost-effective younger replacements aren't identified). Coleman will almost certainly sign a new contract on lower wages.

Dele leaving is a boost. Immediately trims the payroll and we lose nothing in terms of player numbers.

Last edited:
@Zatara
On the 8 out of contract I can see you giving one year extensions to two of them. Coleman and Gana. We need to assemble a squad. They won’t start (much). I think your other 4 go.

We will try to sell holgate, Keane and Maupay. I think he will keep Godfrey. Selling them is easier said than done. He won’t sell DCL, possibly Beto though.

We will add 4 loans (Harrison will likely be one). It doesn’t feel like anyone comes out of the Youth Teams.

I genuinely can’t see how we keep Branthwaite and Onana given our cash position with the loans and stadium. We are 20m underwater each month at present

You not as mad as you seem Zat but the changes will be watered down significantly from what you expect

I agree, I think Dyche will keep Coleman and Gana (hopefully on far lower salaries). I also think he will keep Godfrey and DCL, although both only have 1 year on their deals.

That would have us looking like this before any ins:

SQUAD 16 Players
GK: Pickford / Virginia / Tyrer
LB: Mykolenko
CB: Branthwaite / Godfrey
CB: Tarkowski
RB: Coleman / Patterson
DM: Onana
LM: McNeil / Dobbin
CM: Garner
CM: Gana
RM:
CF: DCL / Chermiti

OUT 11 Players
Lonergan OOC
Keane SELL
Holgate SELL
Young OOC
Doucoure SELL
Gomes OOC
Dele OOC
Harrison LOAN
Danjuma LOAN
Beto SELL
Maupay SELL

In theory, we'd need minimum:
1× 4th choice CB
1 × DM/CM
1 × CM/ACM
1 × RW

A very lean squad but target quality.

I believe Onana will be sold though I wonder if Branthwaite may give us another season...

I do see your point and generally the maths works. I don't agree however that just because we've only used a core of 17 players this year that we should be aiming to have a small squad in future. Obviously there has to be a balancing act though - no point padding out the squad with older players on high wages *just* because they're free agents.

I forgot Gomes and Gana are out of contract. We'll get nothing for either of them so if either would accept significant wage cuts in return for another year then maybe we consider keeping them (if cost-effective younger replacements aren't identified). Coleman will almost certainly sign a new contract on lower wages.

Dele leaving is a boost. Immediately trims the payroll and we lose nothing in terms of player numbers.

I think with Dyche, Thelwell will need to give him a higher quality but smaller squad to ensure he isnt tempted to start 'dross' as he tends to do.

Also, it would massively improve our wages %

I agree, I think Dyche will keep Coleman and Gana (hopefully on far lower salaries). I also think he will keep Godfrey and DCL, although both only have 1 year on their deals.

That would have us looking like this before any ins:

SQUAD 16 Players
GK: Pickford / Virginia / Tyrer
LB: Mykolenko
CB: Branthwaite / Godfrey
CB: Tarkowski
RB: Coleman / Patterson
DM: Onana
LM: McNeil / Dobbin
CM: Garner
CM: Gana
RM:
CF: DCL / Chermiti

OUT 11 Players
Lonergan OOC
Keane SELL
Holgate SELL
Young OOC
Doucoure SELL
Gomes OOC
Dele OOC
Harrison LOAN
Danjuma LOAN
Beto SELL
Maupay SELL

In theory, we'd need minimum:
1× 4th choice CB
1 × DM/CM
1 × CM/ACM
1 × RW

A very lean squad but target quality.

I believe Onana will be sold though I wonder if Branthwaite may give us another season...
Branthwaite and Onana gone. I'd throw Pickford's name in that mix too. Caveated heavily with PSR outcome, takeover, whether we stay up and our financial mire as a result of our losses.