Summer 2024 transfer thread.

12 months. Same for Holgate aswell.

That's a tougher position to fill the gaps if Branth goes. Tarks is of course indestructible but again all it takes is one injury to him for even a month or two and you still need backup so I can't see some of those being moved on. Think it will be similar to this season and have to hope the next CB coming in can stay fit.
You also have to factor in the Ashley Williams factor with Tarkowski.
Both similar style of players, carrying a lot of muscle! When mother age or the bones get a little bit less kind, its harder to carry that type of weight, and as we saw with Williams, the decline was huge!

Its why Jags managed to play for so long, he was never a big huge unit!

….but the DoF is in charge of contracts/transfers. Let’s not forget, Thelwell offered Tom Davies a new deal, so there might be a few surprises in the summer unless the DOF is moved on.
I think it’s a joint thing, no way Thelwell would have wanted young

I think it’s a joint thing, no way Thelwell would have wanted young

….but Young is here. It’s exactly why I say Moyes is firm minded. If there’s ‘no way Thelwell would have wanted Young’ then there’s no way Young should be here, that’s the role of the DoF. I remember Klopp being against the signing of Salah but their DOF brought him in regardless.

Thelwell is accountable for ALL signings. Unlike previous DoFs, we can safely say he’s the one who brings players in.

It's the wages though, Sheff Utd are going down, Holgate has been a disaster since going there, they are not going to match his £70k wages that he is on at the moment. Godfrey is in the same boat, bang ordinary player on massive wages.

I think all 3 (incl keane) will opt for 4 or 5 year deals elsewhere instead of backup for everton

….but Young is here. It’s exactly why I say Moyes is firm minded. If there’s ‘no way Thelwell would have wanted Young’ then there’s no way Young should be here, that’s the role of the DoF. I remember Klopp being against the signing of Salah but their DOF brought him in regardless.

Thelwell is accountable for ALL signings. Unlike previous DoFs, we can safely say he’s the one who brings players in.
He might well be accountable for ALL signings but there is no doubt at all that Dyche wanted Everton to sign Ashley Young.

He might well be accountable for ALL signings but there is no doubt at all that Dyche wanted Everton to sign Ashley Young.

….very likely but the DOF has to be firm in keeping to his strategy, if we are working on that assumption then Thelwell must also have wanted him. Indeed, I’d be more of a view that Thelwell knew of Young’s availability and asked Dyche if he wanted him.

Goalkeepers
Jordan Pickford
João Virgínia
Billy Crellin

Right Backs
Nathan Patterson

Left Backs
Vitaliy Mykolenko

Centre Backs
James Tarkowski
Michael Keane
Ben Godfrey
Mason Holgate

Midfield
James Garner
Abdoulaye Doucouré
Idrissa Gueye

Wide Forwards
Dwight McNeil
Lewis Dobbin

Strikers
Dominic Calvert-Lewin
Youssef Chermiti
Beto

Total players 17

Gentle reminder, this is likely what the squad looks like after we sell 3 players, Branners, Onana, Maupay and release 7 players on loan and contracts expire, Young, Dele, Gomes, Coleman, Harrison, Danjuma, Lonergan.

Whilst it would be super to sell all the remaining CBs and Strikers, we need 6 players before we even start thinking about replacing the players left.

If people REALLY think this club will be involved in 20+ transfers this window then I suspect people really havent been paying attention.

Id mostly agree with that, but I think we do also have to consider we were bargain shopping last year. Based on who we signed Thelwell was likely told find cheap plaer. For example, we didnt go looking for a striker based on merit and talent, we went looking for one based on who we wouldnt have to pay for, and then tried to take that tiny pool of players and find the best option. Your criteria changes from "whos a good value" to, "what teams are even willing to sell a player without taking payment for a year"?

Young could very likely have been the same.

….very likely but the DOF has to be firm in keeping to his strategy, if we are working on that assumption then Thelwell must also have wanted him. Indeed, I’d be more of a view that Thelwell knew of Young’s availability and asked Dyche if he wanted him.
You don’t know if dyche made it clear at his interview he would have a say on transfers. But I agree it should be all on the DOF/sporting team to buy players and appoint managers. Hopefully the new owner will let their sporting team control all footballing decisions

Goalkeepers
Jordan Pickford
João Virgínia
Billy Crellin

Right Backs
Nathan Patterson

Left Backs
Vitaliy Mykolenko

Centre Backs
James Tarkowski
Michael Keane
Ben Godfrey
Mason Holgate

Midfield
James Garner
Abdoulaye Doucouré
Idrissa Gueye

Wide Forwards
Dwight McNeil
Lewis Dobbin

Strikers
Dominic Calvert-Lewin
Youssef Chermiti
Beto

Total players 17

Gentle reminder, this is likely what the squad looks like after we sell 3 players, Branners, Onana, Maupay and release 7 players on loan and contracts expire, Young, Dele, Gomes, Coleman, Harrison, Danjuma, Lonergan.

Whilst it would be super to sell all the remaining CBs and Strikers, we need 6 players before we even start thinking about replacing the players left.

If people REALLY think this club will be involved in 20+ transfers this window then I suspect people really havent been paying attention.
Given the amount of business we need to do, I can’t help but feel that having 777 as our overlords may be the best thing in the short term as I’m assuming we may be able to avail of their multi club arrangement to stretch what meager funds we may have