Summer 2024 transfer thread.

Funny to look at lists like these of players that are objectively unwanted at their clubs because the vast majority are either just finished or terrible and simultaneously thinking “ah they’d be great for us, shame they wouldn’t even come on a free though”.

I’d definitely expect us to be looking at every player released by a PL level side or players probably <30 around Europe that you’d be able to make small profits on. Moneyball approach in a way but it’s the only choice we have.
I’d take a punt on that Mbappe lad there tbf

Funny to look at lists like these of players that are objectively unwanted at their clubs because the vast majority are either just finished or terrible and simultaneously thinking “ah they’d be great for us, shame they wouldn’t even come on a free though”.

I’d definitely expect us to be looking at every player released by a PL level side or players probably <30 around Europe that you’d be able to make small profits on. Moneyball approach in a way but it’s the only choice we have.
Marcus Rashford £75m anyone? 7 goals this season...

I was thinking the same thing, unless that Paul Brown is right and something surprising is about to happen regarding the ownership, nothing will be happening for the foreseeable future.

Guess you maybe try to keep DCL until Jan and then sell him then. Depends if he's desperate to move or happy to just keep his current wage and stay put given he's been injured regularly in last three years so won't have as many suitors as 2021.

It's tricky as even with the long scoring drought the teams best wins and performances have still come with him leading the line so it's similar to Doucoure, just their presence in the side is enough to inspire good performances every so often even if they're the one not directly contributing.

Guess you maybe try to keep DCL until Jan and then sell him then. Depends if he's desperate to move or happy to just keep his current wage and stay put given he's been injured regularly in last three years so won't have as many suitors as 2021.

It's tricky as even with the long scoring drought the teams best wins and performances have still come with him leading the line so it's similar to Doucoure, just their presence in the side is enough to inspire good performances every so often even if they're the one not directly contributing.
I reckon with one year left on his contract, DCL either signs a new contract or is sold in the summer. If he goes in Jan it will drastically reduce his fee which really doesn't benefit us. Doucoure is a bit different as, due to his age, his market value is probably considerably lower so we may keep him without renewing his deal.

We really need to offload him and find a replacement. But finding someone that can afford him and will be willing to take him on will be easier said than done.

Should we manage to sell him, I’d be using any money received and saved from his sale on a striker tho. He’s on a strikers money and he’s pretty much playing as a second striker anyway. If you have a player on 140k a week, it should be for a striker that scores goals!
He scored twice as many as our striker that’s meant to score goals. Just saying.

I reckon with one year left on his contract, DCL either signs a new contract or is sold in the summer. If he goes in Jan it will drastically reduce his fee which really doesn't benefit us. Doucoure is a bit different as, due to his age, his market value is probably considerably lower so we may keep him without renewing his deal.

Yep very logical. However DCL out and Adams potentially in on a free really weakens the attack. Chermiti looked lively the other day and I'd start him in the final three games but he's still a young lad with plenty to learn so not really to lead an attack for half a season just yet. Beto scored a couple but we've seen for months now his all round game is miles off DCL. Maupay...let's not go there. He's done o.k at Brentford so hopefully they activate whatever permanent clause there is in the deal.

Chermiti, Che Adams, Beto....not good if the rest of the side is getting downgraded in quality. Going to be that sort of summer you suspect.

Yep very logical. But k. Chermiti looked lively the other day and I'd start him in the final three games but he's still a young lad with plenty to learn so not really to lead an attack for half a season just yet. Beto scored a couple but we've seen for months now his all round game is miles off DCL. Maupay...let's not go there. He's done o.k at Brentford so hopefully they activate whatever permanent clause there is in the deal.

Chermiti, Che Adams, Beto....not good if the rest of the side is getting downgraded in quality. Going to be that sort of summer you suspect.

If calvert lewin was available and a bit more consistent id agree with that. But his stats over the last 3 years cant just be ignored.
We''re going to need to pull a rabbit out the hat next season from somewhere. We cant have our forwards not even reaching double figures between the lot of them again.

Expect us look at free agents like taylor (burnley lb) kelly (bournemouth cb\lb) unlikely. Adarabioyo( fulham cb) unlikely, ohare (coventry cam/winger) barkley (cm/cam luton) adams (southampton cf/cam), nidi(leicester cdm/cm)

Yep very logical. However DCL out and Adams potentially in on a free really weakens the attack. Chermiti looked lively the other day and I'd start him in the final three games but he's still a young lad with plenty to learn so not really to lead an attack for half a season just yet. Beto scored a couple but we've seen for months now his all round game is miles off DCL. Maupay...let's not go there. He's done o.k at Brentford so hopefully they activate whatever permanent clause there is in the deal.

Yep, it's a real worry. If it's a choice between Adams and DCL, then give DCL a new contract. Adams will want a big wage on a Bosman and his record is, well, unspectacular. DCL won't cost much more but we may need the fee to keep the lights on. God, this club is depressing.

If calvert lewin was available and a bit more consistent id agree with that. But his stats over the last 3 years cant just be ignored.
We''re going to need to pull a rabbit out the hat next season from somewhere. We cant have our forwards not even reaching double figures between the lot of them again.
That's fair enough, and DCL, if he stays, has got to do better, but who are we getting in as an alternative? I don't see Adams doing much better in this side and that's probably the market we're shopping in.

That's fair enough, and DCL, if he stays, has got to do better, but who are we getting in as an alternative? I don't see Adams doing much better in this side and that's probably the market we're shopping in.

I dont know. Thats why i said rabbit out the hat. But everton havent produced any of them with forwards for a long time.
We cant seem to get a season of any consistency with calvert lewin.
If forest go maybe a punt on chris wood.
I Agree. There isnt anyone to get enthusiastic about.

If it wasn't for the fact we seriously need cash coming in, or the use of the loan market.
This thread may as well be locked, cos I can't see it bringing us much joy this summer..

Then again it's nice to dream !!

And you can always have a peak at @Zatara daily 'Football Manager' list we're signing...

These Che Adams links...

His best position is supposed to be off the number 9 so if we signed him he would be competing with Doucoure.

Or we sign him for free and sell Doucoure for £10mil which would be good business.

————Pickford———-

Coleman —- Tarkowski——Godfrey——Mykolenko

New Loan——Garner——Doucoure—-Dobbin

——————McNeil———————

——————-DCL————————

I think we will see something like this next season

Don’t think we will replace Branthwaite, Onana, gueye, Gomes and Dele

we may sign Harrison if the price is right

And what are we gonna do for the 34 games Coleman isn’t available for?