Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Summer Transfer Window 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tielemans.? How many more CMs do we need. Good player like but would be in competition with Davies and I'd rather stick with the local lad personally.

What we need is a bit of guile. There must be someone out there ffs.

Yes this is a good point. I also wonder about Liam Walsh if this lad comes in. Both are of a similar age and seem similar players.

Unsworth has recently said his players are championship standard. Given the performances of Connolly, Jones etc who were by no means stand outs in the under 23s holding their own in the championship this seems a fair assessment. Walsh is widely regarded as one of the best players in that team. While it's unfair to compare him to Tielamans who is a world recognised talent you do have to question how far they are apart in terms of ability?

This central midfield thing is odd. Depending on what's done with Barry we are anywhere from 1 or 2 central midfielders heavy currently. Yet I see we are looking at Delaney again in the summer. I'm not sure what the thinking is. Koeman seems to like most of our current cms so it's hard to work out?

Yes this is a good point. I also wonder about Liam Walsh if this lad comes in. Both are of a similar age and seem similar players.

Unsworth has recently said his players are championship standard. Given the performances of Connolly, Jones etc who were by no means stand outs in the under 23s holding their own in the championship this seems a fair assessment. Walsh is widely regarded as one of the best players in that team. While it's unfair to compare him to Tielamans who is a world recognised talent you do have to question how far they are apart in terms of ability?

This central midfield thing is odd. Depending on what's done with Barry we are anywhere from 1 or 2 central midfielders heavy currently. Yet I see we are looking at Delaney again in the summer. I'm not sure what the thinking is. Koeman seems to like most of our current cms so it's hard to work out?
By all accounts you can add Browning to that list too and he's coming back from a bad injury.

I'm Walsh's biggest fan and would really love him to be given a chance in the first team just to see if he can make that step up. I know a lot can't but I just have this feeling about Walsh.

There may not be a great deal of difference between him and Tielemans as regards quality. I suspect Walsh would stand out in the championship and that's probably a higher standard than the Belgian first division. Though I do think Tieleman's development is being aided by playing open age football, as opposed to Walsh with the under 23s.

Though I do think Tieleman's development is being aided by playing open age football, as opposed to Walsh with the under 23s.

Thats the key thing, so important for young players to play games that matter. I think it's why in the last few years we've had more young players make the grade via acquisition that via youth development at our club. Stones, Holgate, Galloway, Calvert-Lewin and now Lookman has all played 1st team games. Getting our young playesr quality loans is vital, I think and hope we may see the likes of Browning and Connelly push on next season if their loans are succesful. Walsh had a good loan at Yeovil which hoepfully puts him in good stead

First team games (none Everton)

Holgate - 22
Stones - 28
Galloway - 17
Calvert-Lewin - 12 + 31 on loan from Sheff Utd
Lookman - 49

compare to some of of high profile youngsters of a similar age

Dowell - 2
Walsh - 17 at Yeovil
Henen - 12 at Fleetwood

Martinez spoke about the need for the young players to get upwards of 50 appearances under their belts, and whilst he had his faults it's hard to argue that he was ban on the money with this.

Imo he'd be a perfect partner or second striker to Rom, he'd find many more opportunities here too

I see Solonke looks like he wil be leaving chelsea in the summer.
Young lad who has enough potential to be around the first team but not enough experience to be demanding a starting place, would be a great option as Rom's backup i think

I want Kieran Tierney as our baines replacement. Him and holgate dashing down the wing would be a delight
He's not that great. Has had a couple of good high profile games but then Maloney and McGeady also ripped big teams apart in Europe.
Tierney needs to go to a lower Prem club to see if he can cut it first.

I see Solonke looks like he wil be leaving chelsea in the summer.
Young lad who has enough potential to be around the first team but not enough experience to be demanding a starting place, would be a great option as Rom's backup i think

For the money he's reportedly looking for it would be a massive gamble. No prem experience. If we are going for youth would rather look at Iheanacho who has expeirence in the league.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back