• Alright

Votes: 329 40.9%
  • Poor

Votes: 81 10.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
View attachment 62340

Transfermarkt isn't gospel so if you can find something that says differently I welcome that but my understanding is his style of play is similar to Gomes.

The lad isn’t a fully fledged defensive midfielder, I’d say he’s a typical Box to Box, likes to drive forward with the hall. However he does tend to keep hold of it too long sometimes. He’s like Barkley but less effective going forwards, but more nous defensively.

Southampton played him alongside Oriol Romeu last year at times but he doesn’t just sit there. The ball is stuck to his foot and he has a boss engine on him.

How about using your eyes

Also if he style of play is similar to Gomes how is he a defensive mid when Gomes isn't a defensive mid.
I did use my eyes and I watched both of them play midfield and very rarely step into the box which is by my definition a defensive midfielder.

And when I say he's similar to Gomes I mean he is useful at passing the ball up to the forwards and wingers but if we have a striker who is poor at receiving the ball when up against CBs and two other central players as that hypothetical you posted had who are Gomes and Lemina passing too? I like Lemina a little but it would be a very odd signing two weeks after the Gomes deal.

I did use my eyes and I watched both of them play midfield and very rarely step into the box which is by my definition a defensive midfielder.

And when I say he's similar to Gomes I mean he is useful at passing the ball up to the forwards and wingers but if we have a striker who is poor at receiving the ball when up against CBs and two other central players as that hypothetical you posted had who are Gomes and Lemina passing too? I like Lemina a little but it would be a very odd signing two weeks after the Gomes deal.

You know there's position that exists, rare as it may seem, called a centre mid? You don't always have to use the words 'defensive' or 'attacking' in conjuction with it.

You know there's position that exists, rare as it may seem, called a centre mid? You don't always have to use the words 'defensive' or 'attacking' in conjuction with it.
It exists. And we don't use it currently. We have two defensive mids and an attacking mid. Southampton when I saw them had similar. They got weird toward the end so I don't know about that as much. But by and large Lemina plays in defensive midfield.

Now if you are suggesting using some kind of system where Lemina and Gomes are pushed forward a bit that's great but i still don't think that side would score goals because it's still 3 players who have made a career of not getting into the box.

Lemina seems like a player who's so much more capable than what he actually produces, quite quick, strong, good technique, good dribbler, decent passer and all that but he can never seem to put it all together consistently

That’s my only criticism of him. Has the ability but struggles to turn it on. He does seem to have that combative attitude to realise his potential, I’d take the risk on him, provided we get rid of Schneiderlin & McCarthy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back