Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Summer Transfer Window 2019

Everton's Transfer Window

• Good

Votes: 394 49.0%
  • Alright

Votes: 329 40.9%
  • Poor

Votes: 81 10.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
That's pretty much how I see it as well. If we are running a counter attacking scheme, YOU'D THINK Gomes could be very effective in that role with his excellent passing range and his ability to create a bit of space for himself at times. Siggy is a great passer, but he's a quick, one touch type passer that doesn't like to sit on the ball.

Vlasic may have the ability to play deeper, but he seems to play really advanced in his current squad. I love that he seems to create a lot, but he does seem to like himself a lot. I also wouldn't be surprised if Brands doesn't like some of the young players Walsh got - Vlasic, Onyenkuru, Lookman - and will want to make his own acquisitions of younger talent.

I dont see Gomes as 10 if im honest, i think he more damage as a quarter back type given his range of passing, i dont particularly see him as a consistent goals scoring threat either. Hes very much a play making 8 in my eyes.

Those short passes are what i call transition its hard to take the ball in an advanced position and lay it off to start the foundation of attack, it takes an ability to play with your head up forward and make a composed decision, its also requires to ability to find threating position and space in the next phase of play to be a goal scoring threat as a 10. Gylfi i feel has this, more so the Gomes, in my opinion.

To be honest, i think Vlasic is a bit wasted in the advanced positions, i see him similar to Gomes as a creative 8, but lacking the physicality and defensive side of the game to be effective, he has something though a talent, but im not so sure his own assessment and patience to develop will ever be congruent. So it would e a surprise if he he goes own to have a career of significance here. Not that hes not capable if willing.

I wouldn't think Brands is that bloody minded or egotistical, he will do whatever brings him success at Everton in my opinion. I think he is big fan of Lookman in particular, couldn't really say about the other lads, but he did sanction loan moves out for the other two.

Id take that point alright, but i saw an interesting stat at one stage that he was the Everton player who covers the most ground during the game. I would tend to agree though he does drop deeper for the system, but i dont think its natural to him or where his particular key skills lie. These days you will have your offensive and defensive responsibilities as any first team player.

I like what he does, but he always seems a step out of position in defense. He's a good harrier up top but I think he's a defensive liability as a proper midfielder.

I dont see Gomes as 10 if im honest, i think he more damage as a quarter back type given his range of passing, i dont particularly see him as a consistent goals scoring threat either. Hes very much a play making 8 in my eyes.

Those short passes are what i call transition its hard to take the ball in an advanced position and lay it off to start the foundation of attack, it takes an ability to play with your head up forward and make a composed decision, its also requires to ability to find threating position and space in the next phase of play to be a goal scoring threat as a 10. Gylfi i feel has this, more so the Gomes, in my opinion.

To be honest, i think Vlasic is a bit wasted in the advanced positions, i see him similar to Gomes as a creative 8, but lacking the physicality and defensive side of the game to be effective, he has something though a talent, but im not so sure his own assessment and patience to develop will ever be congruent. So it would e a surprise if he he goes own to have a career of significance here. Not that hes not capable if willing.

I wouldn't think Brands is that bloody minded or egotistical, he will do whatever brings him success at Everton in my opinion. I think he is big fan of Lookman in particular, couldn't really say about the other lads, but he did sanction loan moves out for the other two.

Makes you wonder how exactly Tom Davies is going to fit into this conversation... Davies' role is so unclear. He's got some of the attributes for a box to box, attacking, and defensive midfielder but isn't really good at any particular position.

Makes you wonder how exactly Tom Davies is going to fit into this conversation... Davies' role is so unclear. He's got some of the attributes for a box to box, attacking, and defensive midfielder but isn't really good at any particular position.

I have a patient approach with Tom , i think we tend to forget hes 21, he can be here for the next five years and at the end of that contract he will only be entering his prime. The job of work of a young player is work toward being consistent in the maximum they can give in performance. At full tilt ive seen Tom do a job on some big teams and be effective, hes wilted in others. I think if he can develop at full tile and become consistent we clearly have a player.

From a business point of view, i cant underline the importance of academy players who have the capability of being a part of the squad for 10 + years, they are an absolute goal mine. Seamus Coleman for example has saved the clubs 10's of millions at this stage.

I like what he does, but he always seems a step out of position in defense. He's a good harrier up top but I think he's a defensive liability as a proper midfielder.

Agreed i see him fitting in to keep a shape rather then being part of an engine room three. I could see Idrissa, Gomes and Doucoure (type) playing in a midfield three, if we were keeping it tight. I see Gylfi rather filling in to keep the system as opposed to being a key part of an engine room when we are playing boldly, like Silva has a like to.

I do wonder if Rooney could have played that DCL role if given a chance... That could of been europe if we kept him and gave it a try.

No mate, DCLs pace and physicality allow him to stretch defences, keep defenders playing further back and create time and space for supporting team mates.

Rooney can no doubt hold the ball up when played to feet but there is no way he could play the role that DCL does for us.

I don't think Gomes or Vlasic have the defensive acumen in any position.

However, in Silva's ideal 4-3-3, he's either got a true 6 with a box to box type, or twin CM/DMs. The third mid isn't really a 10, they aren't quite that high - Siggy has looked good in the role with Morgan sitting & Gana flying around winning balls, pushing it forward. Gomes would be with Gana as part of the first 4-3-3, but I personally HATE him in that role as he's terrible defensively both sitting or winning balls. So acquiring a Doucoure-type and pairing them with Gana as part of those twin CM/DMs is essential. In that scenario, Gomes could play the same role as Gylfi - deeper sitting playmaker, but with VERY different effects. I wonder if he had a bit more freedom whether or not he would create more. Maybe.

No mate, DCLs pace and physicality allow him to stretch defences, keep defenders playing further back and create time and space for supporting team mates.

Rooney can no doubt hold the ball up when played to feet but there is no way he could play the role that DCL does for us.
Rooney couldn't even hold it up anymore against PL defenses. He still would be trying all sorts of risky passing and gifting the ball to the other team. Getting his wages off the books was massive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back