Tactical Analysis Thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neiler

Player Valuation: £100m

Really interesting to break down some of the phases of play from yesterday and the differences between yesterday and newcastle.

@DanB90 posted this video in the match thread.

The really interesting thing about this goal despite being sexy on the eye, is look at the triangles, ive been saying it for weeks, we need to better support the offensive players - by that i mean there has to be an outlet to give and receive the ball that creates a triangle, the payer on the ball, a support player they can lay it off to and a player ahead of the pay, the triangle has to constantly move to penetrate - in this case the triangle is McNeill, Maupay and Iwobi. Although when you look at it, McNeill, Garner and Iwobi form an earlier triangle, before Garner is replaced by Maupay.

Look at the video and the triangle, McNeill has two out-balls and Iwobi and Maupay are creating the triangle. The defenders have a decision to make whether to track and cover Maupay or Iwobi or close McNeill, this indecision creates the space and there is an overload of options that creates the chance. This is what ive been banging on about - about support play, creating outball triangles, creating options and overloads.

The difference between this and Newcastle is stark, at Newcastle, our attacking players were isolated and had no out ball, no support players, no triangles created thus we looked toothless. The difference yesterday was the support play.

When you look at the above goal, McNeill does brilliantly and makes the right decision, Iwobi's run for the out ball is great and assists is - Phwoer - but you know what look at Maupay's movement, who creates that indecsion in Anderson and hesitates and is late out to the phase, its absolutely brilliant hadn't noticed until i watched it back he deserves huge credit.

This is what we must do, if we are playing this philosophy and want to be creative and score goals, that goal is a perfect example.

Last edited:
Again when you see the second goal, its very similar, the creation of two to three, triangles front to back, the constant moving, the one touch ball and the speed in which the triangles penetrate three lines.

The really interesting part of this phase is DCL and what he give you, look how comes deep and takes the center half with him, this leaves the defense a man down and they are forced to come to Gordons, side, the missing man allows, Myko to run into space completely unmarked, via Onana who supports the play to switch it and get the shot of and we get a bit of luck that the keeper spilled it to young Anthoney.

However its the quick use of ball and creation of triangles (Iwobi is actually brilliant at it) again that leads to the overload and chance.

Id highlight DCL here though, what looks like just a simple touch coming deep actually pulls their defence apart, forces the whole defense to come over to the right hand side and creates acres for Myko and the overload - absolute pivotal piece of tactical play from DCL. He made such a huge difference to us yetsterday as the above illustrates, prob the difference between a 1-0 scoreline or a 3-0, not sure we are scoring goal 1 or 2 without him.

Its all about the support play.

Last edited:
The first goal is all about the press, again we arent scoring this goal without DCL. The idea of the possession based game is to keep the ball, back yourself to hold possession, if the ball is lost, you have to implement the press i.e. go hell for leather in advanced positions to prompt a break down in the opposition.

The first goal has this is spades, the pressure exerted by Gordon, Iwobi and DCL creates the chance. DCL wins a beautiful turnover, the Palace defense arent set up for defending as they are in possession and space is created. Again we create a triangle between Onana, Iwobi and DCL - who does brilliantly to finish, but its the press and DCL turnover that creates the chance. DCL was so pivotal yesterday.

Id also highlight the role of Onana, if you look at the first and second goals its Onana, who switches the play breaks the line on both occasions and assists the assiter for the first and second goals, very composed, very good decision making, awarness and brilliant vision and reading of the game.

Iwobi though is the triangle master.

Last edited:

Really interesting to break down some of the phases of play from yesterday and the differences between yesterday and newcastle.

The really interesting thing about this goal despite being sexy on the eye, is look at the triangles, ive been saying it for weeks, we need to better support the offensive players - by that i mean there has to be an outlet to give and receive the ball that creates a triangle, the payer on the ball, a support player they can lay it off to and a player ahead of the pay, the triangle has to constantly move to penetrate - in this case the triangle is McNeill, Maupay and Iwobi. Although when you look at it, McNeill, Garner and Iwobi form an earlier triangle, before Garner is replaced by Maupay.

Look at the video and the triangle, McNeill has two out-balls and Iwobi and Maupay are creating the triangle. The defenders have a decision to make whether to track and cover Maupay or Iwobi or close McNeill, this indecision creates the space and there is an overload of options that creates the chance. This is what ive been banging on about - about support play, creating outball triangles, creating options and overloads.

The difference between this and Newcastle is stark, at Newcastle, our attacking players were isolated and had no out ball, no support players, no triangles created thus we looked toothless. The difference yesterday was the support play.

When you look at the above goal, McNeill does brilliantly and makes the right decision, Iwobi's run for the out ball is great and assists is - Phwoer - but you know what look at Maupay's movement, who creates that indecsion in Anderson and hesitates and is late out to the phase, its absolutely brilliant hadn't noticed until i watched it back he deserves huge credit.

This is what we must do, if we are playing this philosophy and want to be creative and score goals, that goal is a perfect example.

Great analysis and proves we are still a work in progress, our best perfomance of the season but this does highlight that even yesterday there were a few opportunities to break but due to lack of bodies in the right areas of the pitch the ball was recycled 30 yards from their to 30yards from our own goal. Confidence plays a factor too, as we appeareed to be more fluid in attack after the 2nd goal.

I remember last season when Arsenal had that game (can't remember who they played) and after calls for his head, all of Arteta's fiddling finally started to come together and they looked a proper team. I hoping that yesterday was that game for Frank, it's the best we have played under him imo. From start to finish we just looked organised and had the right ideas, still give the ball away a bit easy at times (just a bit of concentration) let's hope a bit of run comes now.

Great analysis and proves we are still a work in progress, our best perfomance of the season but this does highlight that even yesterday there were a few opportunities to break but due to lack of bodies in the right areas of the pitch the ball was recycled 30 yards from their to 30yards from our own goal. Confidence plays a factor too, as we appeareed to be more fluid in attack after the 2nd goal.

Thanks mate. I think yesterday was the first game all season we were in control of - that to my mind is huge progress, the wins against WHU and Southampton, we did by the seat of our pants and could have easily drawn either and were ultimately hanging on.

Its a great point on confidence, one of the question i have is would we be able to put in a performance like that and play that way away from home or say play that way at Craven Cottage next week.

Take homes for me after yesterday are, Onana in a deep role, there was a 30 min spell in the second half were he ran the game in the engine room, what i hadn't noticed was how pivotal he was to the goals, goals one and two he switches the play, breaks the line on both occasions and assists the assiter for the first and second goals, very composed, very good decision making, awareness and brilliant vision and reading of the game.

Iwobi absolutely outstanding, in creating triangles in that advanced 10 role, he was just pivotal to everything and created and connected everything together, absolute brilliant performance as a playmaker. has to play that role now. Though we're vulnerable if someone sticks a an on him, it will all become unconnected again like Newcastle.

DCL role yesterday is to understated, the turnover for the first goal and finish was superb his touch play and awareness for the second was outstanding center forward play - we arent scoring those goals without him, i really think hes the difference between us winning 1-0 if even yesterday and 3-0. The value of that over season to us, is huge, we simply have to wrap him in cotton wool and get him into games.

I remember last season when Arsenal had that game (can't remember who they played) and after calls for his head, all of Arteta's fiddling finally started to come together and they looked a proper team. I hoping that yesterday was that game for Frank, it's the best we have played under him imo. From start to finish we just looked organised and had the right ideas, still give the ball away a bit easy at times (just a bit of concentration) let's hope a bit of run comes now.

Itsa really good comparrison and point mate. I agree we are vulnerable on our own break down still and a bit nervy on it until we get our noses in front.

The double pivot yesterday though helped i think yesterday, but i still get the heeby jeebies when we play it out from the back. lol

The stand out for me is probably the first time we scored goals without lumping it or going direct, with the exception of the Derby.

Sat was all about the support play, we didn’t need to lump it because we created options.

Yes, I did think our attacking players were too isolated against Newcastle and Spurs. Against Man Utd, our passing didn't work although players were still forming triangles to support. Triangles are some what of basic in support play - although, it is difficult to get it right sometimes. Actually if you observe earlier games, our attack play has some triangles but it's against CP that is works. There is a slight change of personnel and tactics that make it work.

Another tactic I noticed against CP was the bait and switch. In 1st half, we were overloading the left side and then switch of play to the right for a 1v1.

But an unpopular opinion - I don't think we are able to recreate such performance on consistent basis yet just because this team is still new and the FL project is still at the beginning. We need to either improve certain players or add on quality to our squad. And Everton has the habit of raising our hopes. So, I dare not hope yet lol But I think we should still be patient even when sometimes, things just don't work out in certain games.

Having a capable CF to hit in the air means the CB's cant step off and so easily cover the LB/RB.

What that means is their LB/RB can push up against our wide players and rely on cover from the CB's in case of a knock past or clever wide through ball.

Where we are coming unstuck (besides no Lewin) is quick sharp midfield play taking our solidity in the middle to pieces and then its all runs at our CB's. Thankfully it doesn't and wont happen a lot. But individual mistakes will see us turned around and punished. So concentration there is the premium.

Status
Not open for further replies.