Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

The 2015 Popularity Contest (aka UK General Election )

Who will you be voting for?

• Tory

Votes: 38 9.9%
  • Diet Tory (Labour)

Votes: 132 34.3%
  • Tory Zero (Greens)

Votes: 44 11.4%
  • Extra Tory with lemon (UKIP)

Votes: 40 10.4%
  • Lib Dems

Votes: 9 2.3%
  • Other

Votes: 31 8.1%
  • Cheese on toast

Votes: 91 23.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Must we have these glib truisms, Bruce? As if we're all dolts who haven't realised already that life isn't always ideal. The point is, government policy can have a positive or negative effect on people's lives. Please stop portraying compassion as naivety.

I suppose the thing is that they have to try and do that for the most people though. Often minorities can be very vocal and distort things to the detriment of the majority. No policy is going to be perfect for everyone.

I've never been fully sold on right to buy, although if it was introduced in tandem with increased investment in housing, that's fine.

The policy I really like is linking the personal allowance to the minimum wage.

I agree with all of this expect when it comes to the competency of a) Balls and b) Osbourne. I think Balls would be the worst chancellor out of the lot, i really do, i think he's completely out of his depth. Osbourne on the other hand i think is incredibly competent and incredibly smart. He knows exactly what he is doing, (please no one take this as a compliment to GO).

I don't like Ed Balls as a person for reasons unrelated to the economy. However, I don't see how you can just argue that Balls isn't as smart as Osborne, or how Balls is out of his depth dealing with the economy, what are you backing this up with?

Ed Balls has all the credentials of Osborne (and arguably more). He has a first class degree in PPE from Oxford followed by a scholarship in economics at Harvard which is very prestigious and has rigorous mental testing and has been awarded to very few people. He was also the lead economic writer for the financial times.

You can say a lot about the man, but his credentials as an economist are exceptional by anyone's standards and he is far from lacking the requisite intellect.

I agree with all of this expect when it comes to the competency of a) Balls and b) Osbourne. I think Balls would be the worst chancellor out of the lot, i really do, i think he's completely out of his depth. Osbourne on the other hand i think is incredibly competent and incredibly smart. He knows exactly what he is doing, (please no one take this as a compliment to GO).

Perception is a funny old thing.

I don't like Ed Balls as a person for reasons unrelated to the economy. However, I don't see how you can just argue that Balls isn't as smart as Osborne, or how Balls is out of his depth dealing with the economy, what are you backing this up with?

Ed Balls has all the credentials of Osborne (and arguably more). He has a first class degree in PPE from Oxford followed by a scholarship in economics at Harvard which is very prestigious and has rigorous mental testing and has been awarded to very few people. He was also the lead economic writer for the financial times.

You can say a lot about the man, but his credentials as an economist are exceptional by anyone's standards and he is far from lacking the requisite intellect.

The problem with this is that PPE (especially) and modern economic theory is like theology - you can be extremely knowledgeable about it without actually having any kind of insight into reality.

George Osborne is the slimiest, least truthful Tory out of the lot, and that is impressive. Makes my skin crawl tbh
I agree with that - His Father multi Billionaire velvet wallpapering business got the contract for redecorating the HP Gideon Osborne for the workers are they joking?

Joe Cole, Marlon Harewood and John Barnes went to the same comprehensive as Ed Miliband. Random fact of the day for you there.

I have a friend with a PhD, he has no common sense. I have no doubt that Balls is clever, he managed to keep claiming expenses for his second home, however I would not trust him with a £20 note to buy a couple of drinks.......

Definitely more. Fair play to Gideon as he does have a History degree. Oh, and an O Level in maths.

The track record so far reads like........... (lifted obviously)

In 2010 George Osborne made a number of bold predictions about how his ideological austerity experiment would benefit the UK economy. The mainstream press has long-since forgotten about these fabulously over-optimistic predictions, but they are still available from the Office for Budget Responsibility (here) should anyone want to look at them and compare them with what has actually happened (here).

Eliminating the deficit: In 2010 Osborne promised that his austerity experiment would completely eliminate the budget deficit by 2015. In reality the UK is still borrowing £100 billion per year, meaning that he's failed to even halve the deficit.

Government debt: In 2010 Osborne predicted that the UK national debt would have reached £1.232 trillion by 2015. In reality it has risen to £1.489 trillion, which means he has borrowed £257 billion more than he said he would.

The size of the economy: In 2010 Osborne predicted that the UK economy would grow to £1.916 trillion by 2015, but in reality it is only £1.822 trillion, meaning that he's borrowed more than a quarter of a trillion more than he said he was going to, in order to make the UK economy almost £100 billion smaller than he said it was going to be.

Debt/GDP: In 2010 Osborne predicted that debt would peak at 67.2% of GDP in 2015 and then start falling. In reality the debt has reached 80.4% of GDP and it's still growing dramatically. This means that he's now overseen the longest sustained increase in the national debt since the Second World War!

The UK Credit Rating: Before he became Chancellor George Osborne staked his reputation on maintaining the UK's AAA Credit Ratings, but in 2013 the UK economy was downgraded for the first time since the 1970s.

Worse than Labour: George Osborne continually harps on about how Labour would threaten his "economic recovery" but what he doesn't tell you is that in just four years he's created more new debt than every single Labour government in history combined!

Earnings: One of the strongest indicators that Osborne's ideological austerity experiment is really bad for Britain is the fact that he has overseen the longest sustained decline in wages since records began.The fact that millions of workers are significantly worse off than they were in 2008 thanks to George Osborne's deliberate campaign of wage repressionexplains why economic demand is still so weak and the "recovery" so slow. As a result of Osborne's policies, ordinary workers have suffered the worst declines in income since records began.

Definitely more. Fair play to Gideon as he does have a History degree. Oh, and an O Level in maths.

The track record so far reads like........... (lifted obviously)

In 2010 George Osborne made a number of bold predictions about how his ideological austerity experiment would benefit the UK economy. The mainstream press has long-since forgotten about these fabulously over-optimistic predictions, but they are still available from the Office for Budget Responsibility (here) should anyone want to look at them and compare them with what has actually happened (here).

Eliminating the deficit: In 2010 Osborne promised that his austerity experiment would completely eliminate the budget deficit by 2015. In reality the UK is still borrowing £100 billion per year, meaning that he's failed to even halve the deficit.

Government debt: In 2010 Osborne predicted that the UK national debt would have reached £1.232 trillion by 2015. In reality it has risen to £1.489 trillion, which means he has borrowed £257 billion more than he said he would.

The size of the economy: In 2010 Osborne predicted that the UK economy would grow to £1.916 trillion by 2015, but in reality it is only £1.822 trillion, meaning that he's borrowed more than a quarter of a trillion more than he said he was going to, in order to make the UK economy almost £100 billion smaller than he said it was going to be.

Debt/GDP: In 2010 Osborne predicted that debt would peak at 67.2% of GDP in 2015 and then start falling. In reality the debt has reached 80.4% of GDP and it's still growing dramatically. This means that he's now overseen the longest sustained increase in the national debt since the Second World War!

The UK Credit Rating: Before he became Chancellor George Osborne staked his reputation on maintaining the UK's AAA Credit Ratings, but in 2013 the UK economy was downgraded for the first time since the 1970s.

Worse than Labour: George Osborne continually harps on about how Labour would threaten his "economic recovery" but what he doesn't tell you is that in just four years he's created more new debt than every single Labour government in history combined!

Earnings: One of the strongest indicators that Osborne's ideological austerity experiment is really bad for Britain is the fact that he has overseen the longest sustained decline in wages since records began.The fact that millions of workers are significantly worse off than they were in 2008 thanks to George Osborne's deliberate campaign of wage repressionexplains why economic demand is still so weak and the "recovery" so slow. As a result of Osborne's policies, ordinary workers have suffered the worst declines in income since records began.

No but the numbers say we're better off so I must be right? Right? Recovery boys?

Ha ha. I don't know if any of you remember, but in the campaign for the 2010 general election the Conservative party drew up a contract between themselves and the voting public. It basically stated that if they didn't deliver on a range of issues that we should vote them out in 5 years time.

Funnily enough it is no longer on the Conservative Party website. It is however still on Mark Reckless' website - you know the guy who defected to UKIP.

See it here
http://markreckless.com/2010/04/30/a-contract-between-the-conservative-party-and-you/

and here it is dissected

Not so sure they have delivered on their side of the bargain.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back