Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

The 2015 Popularity Contest (aka UK General Election )

Who will you be voting for?

• Tory

Votes: 38 9.9%
  • Diet Tory (Labour)

Votes: 132 34.3%
  • Tory Zero (Greens)

Votes: 44 11.4%
  • Extra Tory with lemon (UKIP)

Votes: 40 10.4%
  • Lib Dems

Votes: 9 2.3%
  • Other

Votes: 31 8.1%
  • Cheese on toast

Votes: 91 23.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
A national scandal, in my view. But then this is what happens when the most vulnerable are set up as scrounging bogeymen whilst the rich dip their bread. Is this what we have become? I thought we were better than this.

U K in 1945 an awareness that people sink or swim together (maybe owing to the war). U K now, individual "customers" unaware that without common effort, the big services suffer (largely due to Thatcher and her no such thing as society garbage). I M O obviously.

U K in 1945 an awareness that people sink or swim together (maybe owing to the war). U K now, individual "customers" unaware that without common effort, the big services suffer (largely due to Thatcher and her no such thing as society garbage). I M O obviously.

To reiterate here, she said that we should not look to the government to solve all of our problems (thus absolving ourselves of any responsibility to help). That was the context of her quote, that we should help ourselves and our neighbours before looking to strangers to do so for us. It had nothing to do with any every man for himself philosophy.

What's the difference?

"Right to Acquire allows most housing association tenants to buy their home at a discount. You apply using the Right to Acquire application form.

You can apply to buy your housing association home if you’ve had a public sector landlord for 5 years. "

Most UK housing associations in the are private sector, not for profit organisations. These are currently exempt from the rules. Housing associations that are owned by the public sector e.g. NHS, military etc. aren't.

On a related note, it's pretty worrying that Labour want to make 3 year tenancies law should they get into government. Whilst I can appreciate they have good intentions, that's an incredibly blunt instrument.

When my folks first rented out their parents old place, the tenant had the place in an awful state, with cat poo up the walls (at least I hope it was cat poo!), the (newly laid) carpets were ruined and several bits in the kitchen needed replacing.

I've no doubt there are some dodgy landlords out there, but I dread to think how the house would have been had that tenant stayed in there longer than their six month agreement.

Trust is a two-way street, you know?

Most UK housing associations in the are private sector, not for profit organisations. These are currently exempt from the rules. Housing associations that are owned by the public sector e.g. NHS, military etc. aren't.

So the housing associations mentioned on the Gov.uk website aren't the housing associations you're talking about? I'm confused now.

https://www.gov.uk/housing-association-homes/buying-your-home

The overview on that page makes it clear that they're private groups (usually non-profit), and they link to the buying your home page I linked to earlier.

On a related note, it's pretty worrying that Labour want to make 3 year tenancies law should they get into government. Whilst I can appreciate they have good intentions, that's an incredibly blunt instrument.

When my folks first rented out their parents old place, the tenant had the place in an awful state, with cat poo up the walls (at least I hope it was cat poo!), the (newly laid) carpets were ruined and several bits in the kitchen needed replacing.

I've no doubt there are some dodgy landlords out there, but I dread to think how the house would have been had that tenant stayed in there longer than their six month agreement.

Trust is a two-way street, you know?

That's just the nature of renting though isn't it. You will still be able to temrinate a contract early with good reason. It just gives families a bit more stability I suppose.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back