Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

The 2015 Popularity Contest (aka UK General Election )

Who will you be voting for?

• Tory

Votes: 38 9.9%
  • Diet Tory (Labour)

Votes: 132 34.3%
  • Tory Zero (Greens)

Votes: 44 11.4%
  • Extra Tory with lemon (UKIP)

Votes: 40 10.4%
  • Lib Dems

Votes: 9 2.3%
  • Other

Votes: 31 8.1%
  • Cheese on toast

Votes: 91 23.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Love seeing a Tory squirm

Not hard in this campain, get them off we have 2million extra jobs repeated same bla bla over and over again and they arnt very impressive, they should get rid of the people running this election no matter what the result?,
Boris saying on sunday he would be proud to get asked to lead the party tells you some are not to sure how its going, wonder if the private polling is showing up something?
Going to get desperate and dirty next week , I am expecting a few big things to hit the press to try and sway the voters , should be interesting at least.

Yes, I'd argue for capital punishment. For some crimes (with a good amount of clear evidence) as long as it costs less than putting them in prison.

Well I dont want to open that particular can of worms, if that is ok, as it isnt an issue in the election.

But on the wider issue of "polls", it is all about the phrasing of the question. For example, you mentioned sending aid to countries with nuclear and space programme. I would agree with your premise.

If the question was maybe, "Do you think the UK should send aid to *random famine/earthquake/refugee ravaged country* even though the aid budget is already spent?" Maybe a different result would emerge.

Well I dont want to open that particular can of worms, if that is ok, as it isnt an issue in the election.

But on the wider issue of "polls", it is all about the phrasing of the question. For example, you mentioned sending aid to countries with nuclear and space programme. I would agree with your premise.

If the question was maybe, "Do you think the UK should send aid to *random famine/earthquake/refugee ravaged country* even though the aid budget is already spent?" Maybe a different result would emerge.

Just to make it clear I'm advocating capital punishment for crimes such as say terrorism, serial killers, rapists. People who will actually be threats to society when they are released

Maybe it would, but I know a number of people who are annoyed by this still. The money could be spent here, rather than to countries which wouldn't spend a penny to help us if we had a problem. And I understand it's a nice thing to do, but frankly charity should be an option, if someone would prefer their taxes to be spent in the UK that probably should be up to them.

Indeed it is. And I dont think I am making my point very well.

Let me try again. The SNP are not a UK wide party. Now neither are a few other (very) minor ones, granted, but the SNP do not have to answer to anyone outside Scotland. No one.

If they act in a reasonable and responsible manor in the possible semi governance of the UK, not just their own interests, then fine. But I have a feeling they wont, because it is possibly in their longer term interests not to.

Lets see.
But what does it mean to say they are not a UK wide party? That's always been the case when they have sat in Westminster and it's never been an issue...until now when they have enough to make a difference on matters.

It's a flag of convenience to now cast doubt over their credibility to sit in government. They are a bona fide party and if you're talking about sectoral differences that they'll pursue, well that's what political parties were formed to do in the first place. The Labour Party was set up to represent the interests of the working class; the Tories the industrial capitalists etc etc.

But what does it mean to say they are not a UK wide party? That's always been the case when they have sat in Westminster and it's never been an issue...until now when they have enough to make a difference on matters.

It's a flag of convenience to now cast doubt over their credibility to sit in government. They are a bona fide party and if you're talking about sectoral differences that they'll pursue, well that's what political parties were formed to do in the first place. The Labour Party was set up to represent the interests of the working class; the Tories the industrial capitalists etc etc.

I didnt say they didnt have credibility, I said as a party that now have real influence, they should use that influence not just to further their own ambition/interests, (which an obvious thing I would expect any party to do), but they also have a responsibilty to the UK as a whole.

But I am watching her now.

See, she just said. "I will not rule anything out, I will not put a Tory party in office" to paraphrase.

SHE IS NOT EVEN STANDING.

Thats what I dont get. Unless she is standing.

I didnt say they didnt have credibility, I said as a party that now have real influence, they should use that influence not just to further their own ambition/interests, (which an obvious thing I would expect any party to do), but they also have a responsibilty to the UK as a whole.

But I am watching her now.
Well that's no different than, say, the LDs influencing the last government by agreeing to back the Tories for a series of demands that they favour (though many of those demands would be counter the interests of many/most other British people...because obviously the majority didn't vote for the LDs and their policies in 2010).

My point is that it's selective and unfair to demand something off the SNP that others haven't been held to before them.

They represent Scotland. It's mad to believe they shouldn't press their case hard for deals that benefit that country.

All comes back to a system of FPTP. It's there and that's the way we govern in this land.

For those of you that watch Question Time, who is your favourite guest(s). I quite like Peter Hitchens.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back