Homepage Article The Beautiful and Damned

Status
Not open for further replies.
Posted other day. Leicesters midfield chipped in with almost 30 goals last season.
Evertons entire midfield never got into double figures. And sigurdsson got 6 of those.
Gomes 0
Allan 0
Davies 0
Iwobi 1
Doucoure 2.
3 goals from 5 midfielders. I havent looked but id be amazed if there was worse in the league last year outside the bottom 3.
Those numbers are pathetic but they don’t even tell the whole story - I’d bet they’d be just as bad if you posted their assists.

So poor our midfield, so important we get a good anchor this season and i think Allan and Doucouré would benefit from that safety net.

I think our similarities with Atletico would be that they are/were very much a tier 2 outfit as I would call them (below the top 7/8 super teams in turnover) but with additional funds have probably become a sort of hybrid of what to do between being a super team and being a very dynamic club (thinking of your Lille's, Leipzigs etc). To a degree Dortmund are close to that space, and Spurs were for a time.

I sense with Moshiri's money and impatience, if we were to be successful that might be a better space for us to operate than going the full RB Leipzig way.

In terms of the specificity of the team and manager and in this article it was more about a playing style. Atletico have developed a style that works for them, but it isn't trying to emulate what the dominant trends of the top teams are. As I think I mentioned, big, strong, powerful, organised, good at set pieces etc. You could say like an elite Burnley. I think thats a good model to follow actually.

I mean some say you will hit a glass ceiling playing that way, but to me Atletico seem to disprove this somewhat.

That was the thinking.
As one who argued for keeping the Wall of 4...because it mostly worked and the players seemed to buy into it.
Or as it used to be called, cutting your coat to suit your cloth.
tbh, I couldn't see why Ancelotti went away from it...unless some teary fool convinced Moshiri that the fans...even if it was just telly fans...want school of science.

Just my opinion obvs, but it will take most supporters a very long time to get sick of gritty wins and draws

But no time at all to get sick of the shight weve had to watch recently

Posted other day. Leicesters midfield chipped in with almost 30 goals last season.
Evertons entire midfield never got into double figures. And sigurdsson got 6 of those.
Gomes 0
Allan 0
Davies 0
Iwobi 1
Doucoure 2.
3 goals from 5 midfielders. I havent looked but id be amazed if there was worse in the league last year outside the bottom 3.

Great catch this tbf. And Leicester also have a 15-20 goal a season striker, a reasonable defence and a great goalkeeper

Gomes 0
Allan 0
Davies 0
Iwobi 1
Doucoure 2.
Our formation doesn't lend itself to our midfield contributing much. The rs's midfield output wasn't much better than ours this season. The big difference is that we have a front 3 that don't score loads either.

Our formation doesn't lend itself to our midfield contributing much. The rs's midfield output wasn't much better than ours this season. The big difference is that we have a front 3 that don't score loads either.

Yeah but the comparison was more with clubs that dont have a trio like liverpool banging them in and more leicester who have 1 main striker. The table is grim viewing from 10th up. The tally is on a par with newcastle.

Gomes 0
Allan 0
Davies 0
Iwobi 1
Doucoure 2.
Bernard gets a lot of stick, but he got 3 goals in 18 appearances last season. He often has a lot more end product than Iwobi.

I think our similarities with Atletico would be that they are/were very much a tier 2 outfit as I would call them (below the top 7/8 super teams in turnover) but with additional funds have probably become a sort of hybrid of what to do between being a super team and being a very dynamic club (thinking of your Lille's, Leipzigs etc). To a degree Dortmund are close to that space, and Spurs were for a time.

I sense with Moshiri's money and impatience, if we were to be successful that might be a better space for us to operate than going the full RB Leipzig way.

In terms of the specificity of the team and manager and in this article it was more about a playing style. Atletico have developed a style that works for them, but it isn't trying to emulate what the dominant trends of the top teams are. As I think I mentioned, big, strong, powerful, organised, good at set pieces etc. You could say like an elite Burnley. I think thats a good model to follow actually.

I mean some say you will hit a glass ceiling playing that way, but to me Atletico seem to disprove this somewhat.

That was the thinking.
Apparently Atletico was model Moshiri wanted us to emulate.

Gomes 0
Allan 0
Davies 0
Iwobi 1
Doucoure 2.
Different teams different play styles. Liverpool finished 3rd with Wijnaldum their highest midfield scorer on 2. 6 in total

Status
Not open for further replies.