The Next Step?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neiler

Player Valuation: £100m
Dave Watson conveyed today that Everton will not breakthrough into the top four on a regular basis unless the funds for the next step become available!

David Moyes has done everything possible so far when it comes to improving his squad. He’s signed some great players who have really progressed.

“He’s spotted the likes of Joleon Lescott and Tim Cahill in the Championship and brought them up to the Premier League and they’ve become stars.

“He’s also spent a lot of money on Yakubu but I’m sure he will continue to get you goals. But when it comes to taking things on to the next level you need finance.

“You have to be able to spend the big money to bring in the Cristiano Ronaldos and Thierry Henrys of this world.”

So in terms of taking the "next step" is this possible on the funds that Moyes is likely to be given under the present board? or is a takeover or investment needed to buy the quality needed to be top four regulars?

http://www.liverpooldailypost.co.uk...-only-arrive-with-a-big-price-64375-20401609/

What he is really saying is sad but very true. We can have our spell every few years but to be consistent we have to not only manage our expenses but generate revenues on a rate that the big four now possess. A new stadium is one of these options but financial muscle is another. But we have to be very careful who indeed will back us.

Last edited:
Depends if we have the patience to wait until a new stadium is built I suppose.

not necessarily.

a crafty finish in the top four this season - provided we win the champions league qualifier and Liverpool dont win the damn thing, could see us net 20 - 30 million.

how much does a ronaldo cost these days?

we've seen our squad go from a group of no hopers to a group of no hopers with a few talented members, to a good starting 11 but no squad depth, to a good all round side.

We need a player of the ability of a ronaldinho, a kaka, or a ronaldo.

these players are expensive when they are young and priceless when they are older. Moyes always manages to get a lot of player for his money though.

There's hope for us yet. You need a huge slice of luck to get one of the best players in the world though - or just unlimited money (which we will never have).

I think its a really hard balance and theres a lot of what i would call oppurtunist investors out there, who dont nessecarly have the long term future of the club or its development at heart. Personally i like Bill and in partnership with Davey they have done great job.

However i have been hearing noises from Moyes talking about buying players of quality to get us in to champions leauge places. The non-confrontational manner in which he makes these comments leads me think that the new "five year plan" will see increased funds being realeased to buy top end players. From where i dont know but i didnt see above twenty five million being available on tranfers last season and i dont think any of us did. Additionly further Euro/Champions Leauge involvement can only help this endevour. While a new stadium would undobhtedly help, but would not be the end to the finacial restraints on the club, when you consider we are still servcing long term debt. A fact that seems to be non-issue since we have become successfull on the field!

It is scary to think how good we could be if money was spent. When we look at how Moyes has built the playing staff on what in premiership terms would be considered meagre. To think he has almost broken even on his tranfer dealings in light of the progress we have made is nothing short of astoninhing!(y)

Last edited:

i love lee carsley........but, i think that the main difference between us and the top three, apart from their strengh in depth, is that we dont have a defensive mid who actually wants the ball at his feet. both carsley and neville will break up play all day and do an excellent job. but give them the ball and their limitations come into play. we can get away with it playing teams of our own, or lower standard, but not with the manu's of this world.
But, we might just have the answer in manny fernandez. if he buys into the moyes work ethic, then he is the man ! it was good to see that when he gave the ball away against chelsea, he was busting a gut to get the ball back . lets just hope the novelty doesnt wear off.

Its true. For as good as we are playing we still need a bit of luck too to get into the top 4.

the back four to a degree as well. We are still not passing it from the back religiously.

You can't blame carsley for everything and nor should ya.

plus, statistically, cahill gives the ball away more than any other player we have - including neville, carsley and hibbert.

At least according to pass completion percentages I looked at. Having watched him a few times since then, it seems subjectively to back up these stats. He does give the ball away - we just get goals by way of compensation. If we could teach him to pass like scholes we'd have a player better than scholes as cahill can tackle.

anyway I digress.

Didn;t it seem like a stupid time to sign a shirt deal?

We could end up in the champions league, in which case, Chang have got the bargain of all bargains.

In the end it will all come down to money..will DM have the sort of cash he had last summer this time round now the tv money is "asorbed" into the club revenue?

I dont think bullshit billy has the funds to take us further than where we are now BUT theres a hell of a lesson to be learned from the halfheads across the park sometimes its better the devil you know.

So i guess for the moment we're stuck in this position of hoping for a cup run and maybe a CL place every season or two and we as fans have to decided if this is good enough

we are still majority english owned. We are still a local team. Our aim is still to take the club as far as it can go up the table and to win silverware.

(I get the feeling that the LFC owners want to keep the money from the CL and the league ticking over without investing much in the squad, at least until they build their stadium.)

Our team hasn't sided with anyone wanted for human rights violations or anyone shady - Thaksin of City, Abromavich. Or anyone who helped get bush into the white house - like Tom Hicks.

I don't want outside investment in Everton. Unless they are everton fans, through and through.

If that means fourth place is a ceiling so be it. No point in the football team existing if its soul is sold.

It is galling to see crap clubs like Spurs spending so much though. Woodgate is in, probably Downing and the lad from Rangers too. And Gunter. They could end up spending around £40 million just this window alone!

It is galling to see crap clubs like Spurs spending so much though. Woodgate is in, probably Downing and the lad from Rangers too. And Gunter. They could end up spending around £40 million just this window alone!

they've been spending like a champions league club for the last four years.

Still not keeping up with us, and the two seasons they finished above us, they didn't do so on merit - some harsh refereeing decisions meant we finished below them.

Let them appease their fans by buying ten players every window.

When Spurs need a job doing they use a scatter approach. Moyes always uses the right tool for the right job.

Its an economical model, one that is backed up in nature.

Spurs have never heard of Occams Razor apparently.

The sad fact is football sold its soul a long time ago for the filthy tv money and as we all know its that that makes the world go around sadly :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back