The Sunday Sermon ; Nigel Martyn .

Status
Not open for further replies.

little curly alan ball

Player Valuation: £70m
For those in Helmand Province , Afghanistan generally , or otheerwise Serving Their Country and away from their loved ones ...

Say SAFE Peoples ..!!! THAT , is a Goddamn' ORDER !!!

For My Mother , My World , L.C.A.Barb , Me Aunty Do' , our Eva and Archie , and Hayeee .

An' I'm STILL Sorry ,...

May the Good Lord be with You all ...

Welcome everyone to our small corner of the Sabbath .

I don't usually do Sermon Requests - though Micheal Madar , via persistence alone , is now a Legitimate Runner . However , Lady G.O.T. asked me for this the other week , at which time I mused .. " Hmmm . Not a bad shout , btw .." Thus , here we are .

The recipient of today's focus actually spent a relatively short period of time as a Toffee , indeed , there is a Story in that , too , but nevertheless , despite being perhaps 5 years past his ultimate Peak , remained at an excellent standard and played his part in the magnificent 2054/05 Season and ultimately eligibility for the Champions League Qualification Round . Moreover , in his work as a Part-Time Media Pundit , he speaks of Everton in as revered terms as any of his previous Employers .

Ladies and Gentlemen of the Congregation , may I introduce , Nigel Martyn .

Big Nigel was born on August 11 1966 in St.Austell , South West England . The story of the Big Stopper's rise to Stardom is not the usual , Junior-Academy-Pro' route . Bizarrely , until the 15 he was a Midfield Player , and it wasn't until turning out for his Elder Brother's side - whilst working in a Plastics Factory - and later as a Coal Man ; that he was asked to go in goal . He began to play Local Amateur Fooball , and prospered . Indeed , began to make a name from himself and was eventually offered a Trial by Bristol Rovers - allegedly via an initial tp from their Tea-Lady Holidaying in Cornwall . He was therefore offered Professional Terms , and duly signed as a Bristol Rovers Player in May 1987 .

He began an exponential Career Rise almost immediately , staying with the Gas-Heads for 2 years and playing over 100 - 101 , games . Again , his reputation began to precede him . Various Clubs began to take interest , and as Season 1988/89 drew to a close rumours became genuine pursuit as Crystal Palace tabled a phenomenal offer which was accepted by the South-West Club almost as soon as it emerged from the Fax Machine . Nigel therefore became the first £1m Goalkeeper as he agreed to make the switch to Selhurst Park .

Once more , he settled in quickly , and importantly , endeared himself to the Eagles Supporters . Coppell's side reached the F.A. Cup Final in his Debut Season , losing in a replay after being the bettr side in the first game . Indeed , in his second season he was the Rock upon which Crystal Palace's Best Ever Defence - statistically , as they reach the Final of the Zenith Data Systems Cup , defeating Ourselves in the Final , and also began to make an impact at International Level . Having aquired B Caps previously , Nigel was finally given Full International Honours when chosen to start against the newly formed Confederation of Independent States - Russia , in Moscw in April 1992 . The Big Lad was an ever-present in Palace's Championship Side of
1993/94 , and completed 100 consecutive games in October of that same year . As Palace struggled their btter Players began to be Cherry-Picked . Wright and Bright already gone , Martyn became the subject of a bid from the Newly-Ambitious Leeds United . Crystal palace , unable to refuse an offer of £2.2m - effecively more than doubling their initial outlay , did not stand in his way , as he once more broke the Record Fee for a Goalkeeper . He departed South West London having played 272 times for the Eagles .

He joined a Leeds Side by Howard Wilkinson , along with the Teenager Du Jour - Lee Bowyer . Once more , Martyn took to the step-up like , It Weren't No Thing . Yet again becoming a Fans Favourite at Elland Road after a series of memorable displays . One particular showing came in the Stadio Olympico , Roma , in the EUFA Cup of
1999/2000 , versus AS Roma , as Leeds went on to the Semi-Final of the competiion . The following Season , he was perhaps the primary reason behind the Yorkshire Club's progress to the last four of the Tournament , defeating Barcelona , S.S. Lazio and Deportivo la Coruna en route . However , Nigel's refusal to go on a Tour of the Far East saw new Manager Terry Venables utilise the highly regarded Youngster Paul Robinson . Moreover , he retained the Kid upon the resumption of Domestic Fixtures . This led to him being dropped for the whole 2002/03 Season , and thus , seeing the , Writing On The Wall , as regards his Yorkshire Career , he was informed that Leeds had received 2 offers for his services . The first being as Carlo Cudicini's Deputy at Chelsea , the other as rival to Moyes' first signing Richard Wright at Everton . Thankfully , he chose to remain in the North , and joined the Toffees in Spetember 2003 for a nominal - £500K , fee . The cruel irony for us Blues is that Nigel should never have become a Leeds Player at all , having arrived at a Peter Johnson-less Goodison , and Hamper-Man's Deputy , Clifford Finch was too busy to meet the Big Stopper and actually provided him with directions to get to Leeds !!! This is FACT , incidentally . Another point , he was voted by Leeds Fans ther All-Time Greatest Goalkeeper , ahead of both Sprake and Harvey , whom won Championship Medals at Elland Road . Testimony indeed .

David Moyes , seeing the limitations of the Squad sought to bring in new faces . McFadden , Kevin Kilbane , Nigel and Franny Jeffers back on loan . After an ankle injury to Tricky Dicky , Nigel was called upon almost immediately breaking into the side . He made his debut in the League Cup victory over Stockport County at the Old Lady , and 4 days later , his Home League Debut in the - unusual for this Campaign , 4-0 defeat of his old club , Leeds United . As Moyes' , Up-One-Season-Down-The-Next Career Path began to manifest itself . After Leeds came a Down-To-Earth-With-A-Bang 0-3 caning at Spurs , then two 0-0's . That was the problem . Nigel was starring , literally , but we were toothless upfront . From the Leeds game onwards we played 6 Matches , scoring in 3 . One of the goals was scored by Toby Linderoth . Another by Killer
Kilbane . Therein lay our difficulty . Another 3 games . No goals - 2 nil-nils .
Christmas , for once was a High-Point - of sorts . 2 consecutive Victories , Rooney winner at Portsmouth and 3pts against Leicester at The Old Lady before an unlucky 2-3 reverse at Old Trafford as Fergie ( Our One ) gave them one last hurrah . Nigel picked up an injury and would be out for a run of games . Two more wins as 2003 became2004 , one in the F.A. Cup over Norwich , before normal service was resumed .
A draw and three straight defeats saw out Hogmanay . Two more stalemates three straight losses -the first the Game of the Season , the 3-4 at Home against United . It went like that . Fortunately , Our Goalie was better than most of our Rivals' Goalies , that was the factor which prevented our slipping into the bottom 3 . The only factor . So great had his impact been , that Moyes' First Signing , Richard Wright , along with everyone else at Goodison , realised that it was now He whom needed to consider alternative employment .In the event , we finished 17th . One place and six points from Championship Football . Nigel Martyn played 33 First Team Games in his Debut Season as a Toffee . He also finished as unanimous Player of the Season .
Summer 2004 was not one to reminisce about for St. Domingans . Asbo had Torn It Up at the Euro Championships in Portugal , but never once mentioned hat he was an Employee of Everton Football Club . Thus , the inevitable happened and , least to this Evertonian , £27M did not sate my ire . The signing , pre Opening Day was Marcus Bent . No disrespect to Benty , but we'd just lost the Finest Young Talent in Europe - at the time . Moreover , we were utterly embarrassed , utterly , in our initial fixture , a 1-4 coating off Arsenal . The next game was at Crystal Palace where , in the event , our luck changed in more ways than one . On the Park , we grabbed an unexpected 3-1 victory - Bent , in fairness scoring one . Though , off the field we made the most significant single gesture of ten years of Everton FC ; the signing of Timothy Joel Faliqua Cahill that evening .

It impacted on the side , or at least , something did , as we go to both Manchester Grounds in the space of three weeks and get a pooint at Old Trafford and a Win a The Council House . Another 2 straight Premier League victories . A deafeat against Tottenham , then 2 further wins , on-the-bounce , then Chelsea and Arsenal trips resulted in two defeats , but then , four wins from 5 games , among these our defeat of the RS as Carsley became Super Lee - and Nigel Martyn was mentioned in despatches that particular day . The Year is ushered out - and the new one in , with 2 defeats , the latter a 2-5 caning at Tottenham , but in all , we were all pinching ourselves as the side , almost , which was nearly relegated only monhs earlier was now right on the Coat-Tails of the Top 4 . Indeed , we became accustomed to residing above our Crimson Cousins in the Premier League Table . Only one defeat in February before losses at both O.T. and Grey Skull , sandwiched between an uncharacteristic home loss to Blackburn Rovers , and a defeat at West Bromich Albion .
However , normality was resumed as we thumped Crystal Palace at The Old Lady ,
4-0 , as Vaughany took Asbo's Youngest Scorers Record . The Piece De Resistance of Our Whole Season , came in the following match as Duncan gave us one final Hurrah as we beat Manchester United - as Scholes and Neville P were dismissed . What everyone always forgets about that evening is the contribution of our Goalkeeper . He was awesome . A stalemate , 1-1 at Birmingham before before two losses , the latter 0-7 at Arsenal , before a last day 3-2 victory at Bolton secured a miraculous fourth place in the Premier League . However , a word for the Big Stopper , he had missed the last 2 games of the Campaign through injury . We conceded 10 goals . Nigel Martyn was among the Top 3 Goalkeepers in the Premier League as he made 32 First Team Appearances .

To us unbeknowing Blues Summmer 2005 was Nirvana . We had Trumped the RS in the race for their beloved Big Ears - though that too would end in tears , and even My Mate Kenny Mc - as Manager of TNS was ripping the arse out of them in the media . Evertonians then began preparing for Villareal , our drawn opposition . As it turned out , in retrospect an' all , we were beaten before we started . The Achievement was in the qualification . A Squad of , with respect , Pistone , Marcus Bent , Beattie , we DID have Class , Yobo , Timmy , Big Man on his day , and Nigel Martyn , but when up against Juan Roman Riquelme , Forlan , etc , were never gonna impact . Nevertheless , we were robbed of a perfectly good goal in Spain which at least would have made it interesting . However , we were unlikely to have reached the Semi-Finals of the Tournament , as did Villareal .

Never mind the Semi's of C.L., by September we were already dismissed from the Eufa Cup as our intended Season of Heaven was fast heading out of control towards the Gates of Hell . In the Premier League , we lose 3 from four . Europe a catastrophe . Either side of a hiding in Bucharest and elimination via the Home Leg , we lose our next 4 Domestic Fixtures . It all began to unravel . We did manage 2 wins from our next 5 but drew one and were defeated in the others . Two more victories , over Newcastle and away to Blackburn precded yet another 4 game losing run . The latter of which was a Christmas Caning off the Bealzebubs . Timmy's last minute Winner at Sunderland saw out a nasty - second half of 2005 , certainly ,. The New Year saw us triumph over Charlton at The Old Lady . Indeed a draw at Milwall in The Cup , saw a victory in the Home return either side of 2 Premier League wins . We then struggled to a Home Draw with Chelsea in the next round of The Cup . It was significant in that Nigel Martyn picked up a naughty ankle injury from which he would not recover . Indeed , his Professional Career effectively came to an end tha late January Day . It was his 100th Appearance for Everton Football Club . We went on to finish after the start , a creditable enough 11th place , but we missed Our Goalie .

He also represented his Country on 23 occasons but , as would our current Captain , suffered as a result of a 2-3 defeat against Romania in Euro 2000 , and would struggle with the longevity of David Seaman's Career .

It is unusual in composing a Sermon for someone with so brief a Career in Everton Blue , but even more so in the esteem in which he is held . In my experience - Sagar aside , most Blues over 35 would say , Our Greatest Ever Keepers would be Bin Man , of course , Westy , then Big Nigel . Even in view of our current encumbant . This is particularly galling when considering that Nigel Martyn should have , and , if our Executives at the time were actually , Fir For Purpose , would have been a Goodison Player through the Peak of his Career and not merely as a , nevertheless most welcome , Swan-Song . Its more than a shame given he would've Dovetailed with the Career of Sir Neville . Now ponder that one ,.. As I say , I cannot ruminate over many years service of our Big Lad from Cornwall but he did put it in on each and every occasion have represented our Great Club .

Thus , Ladies and Gentlemen of The Congregation , thank The Almighty in his provision of Nigel Martyn , Goalkeeper , and despite his short-stay does not waste an opportunity whence in the Media to Big Up Everton Football Club . He got it .

May The Good Lord be with You all .

Written in Britain .

Remember ; Jesus Loves You 'cause You're a Blue .

Look after Your Peoples .

Peace Out .

The Reverand L.C.A.B.

" ...I know My Peoples Hearin' Me . Holler if Y'All need Me ... Word ...."

Last edited:
Another great sermon mate. One of my favourite players of my era. Top class, consistent and a really nice guy with it. If only we'd signed him when we we had the initial opportunity...

Superb tribute, would love to see him back in some capacity one day, I recall his wife saying she'd never seen him so happy! For the majority, he will be remembered as a Leeds hero but to me he filled the void we so dearly missed, so many goalies that were unable to live up to such high standards we'd been accustomed to! I just wish we'd signed him 10 years earlier

Probably one of my favorite seasons was the 04/05 one. Everton's defence never really seemed settled with Wright in goals and when Martyn came in Everton quickly started becoming 1-0 masters.

Another great sermon. Martyn is the sort of player you never hear anyone ever say a bad word about. Shame we never signed him from Palace much earlier! Quality player and quality sermon! Thank you

Probably one of my favorite seasons was the 04/05 one. Everton's defence never really seemed settled with Wright in goals and when Martyn came in Everton quickly started becoming 1-0 masters.

Another great sermon. Martyn is the sort of player you never hear anyone ever say a bad word about. Shame we never signed him from Palace much earlier! Quality player and quality sermon! Thank you

No worries , Stumps .

Another top notch sermon LCAB!

I always enjoy reading them and appreciate the work that you put into writing them. As Canadian supporter it's often hard to get first hand accounts on Everton history here. I find your sermons are definitely the best and most enjoyable way to read up on Everton history!

Cheers mate!

Last edited:
Great keeper, overlooked by England really. Kept us up one season (I remember a draw at the affables, he was immense). Sad he played on through injury (Stress fracture iirc) and it eventually did for him. I remember an interview with him and only one question which was 'has he ever seen anyone with bigger hands than his' he said 'yes, the farmers near where I live has hands like shovels'.

A great read lcab, great tribute to the big Cornish pastie

As others have already said, we are sat lamenting the move from the Palace that never happened

Another top notch sermon LCAB!

I always enjoy reading them and appreciate the work that you put into writing them. As Canadian supporter it's often hard to get first hand accounts on Everton history here. I find your sermons are definitely the best and most enjoyable way to read up on Everton history!

Cheers mate!

Youre welcome , Kid , as ever ....

Status
Not open for further replies.