The tale of legendary Everton manager Harry Catterick:

Status
Not open for further replies.
My late dad said the selling of Ball knocked the stuffing out of the team and the supporters and we never recovered, as was the failing of his health around this period.
As for should we have won more. There was genuine competition to win the title back in those days. No team dominated. City, United, Leeds, Arsenal, Derby and the RS all had great teams.

Also the myth that John Moores gave us money for Catterick to spend it was just interest free Harry had a duty both on & off the field to makes sure the repayments were made - no TV massive monies back then gate money was the main sources of income- Harry had all that responsibilities...

His last few years were poor.
As defending champions 1970-1971 was a pretty dismal season. Out of the European cup on away goals, FA cup semi- final defeat and finishing 14th.
1971- 1972 , And another bad season, the season we lost Ball and his white boots.
Only happy memory is the thrashing of Southampton 8-0

I have another happy memory from that season.

My first derby.

We won 1-0 with David Johnson scoring the winner :celebrate:

My late dad said the selling of Ball knocked the stuffing out of the team and the supporters and we never recovered, as was the failing of his health around this period.
As for should we have won more. There was genuine competition to win the title back in those days. No team dominated. City, United, Leeds, Arsenal, Derby and the RS all had great teams.

I think this sums it up. Catterick built two great sides that had to compete against other good teams. I had just been sent from Liverpool to work in South Wales and still remember the absolute shock of the sale of Ball…from which we didn’t recover…….

My dad said that Johnny Carey laid the ground work for the 63 title winning team. Catterick inherited the team he built.

Catterick sold Bobby Collins & Alan Ball. Collins was a favourite with my dad & Ball was certainly my older brother's favourite.

In their eyes, getting rid of those players was madness.

Nevertheless, Everton had a great run under Catterick's tenure. We would die for that now.

I'm convinced his distain for the media, while across the park Shankly courted them, is the reason we get treated poorly by them to this day.

My dad said that Johnny Carey laid the ground work for the 63 title winning team. Catterick inherited the team he built.

Catterick sold Bobby Collins & Alan Ball. Collins was a favourite with my dad & Ball was certainly my older brother's favourite.

Nevertheless, Everton had a great run under Catterick's tenure. We would die for that now.
Johnny Carey bought Jimmy Gabriel, Alex Parker,, Alex Young and Roy Vernon. Brian Labone was already there along with Mick Meagan, Derek Temple and Brian Harris who played bit parts in that 1963 title winning squad.

Harry Catterick bought Gordon West, Tony Kay, Johnny Morrissey and Dennis Stevens which added steel to the team especially in away games and also Alex Scott replacing Billy Bingham.
Carey was sacked because John Moore’s thought the team wasn’t fit enough and Carey, a gentleman by nature, wasn’t tough or ruthless enough in his treatment of players. Bobby Collins was one of my favourite all time Everton players, he came into a very poor Everton team and dragged them out of the relegation zone and was part of a great team when he left shortly before they won the title, I would have have loved him to stay he deserved a medal as much as any of those who got them but he had his differences with Catterick and went his way being his own man.Dennis Stevens had a hard time being Bobby’s replacement but eventually winning a lot of the fans over with his battling qualities and his teamwork and earned his medal.Alan Ball was another shock move, he cried tears when he told his teammates “He’s selling me” He couldn’t believe it. That story came from Johnny Morrissey. I was shocked and upset at the time but realised later it was pure business, Catterick told him he had had six great years out of him and was selling for twice the money he had paid for him, Alan was never as good for Arsenal as he was for Everton, didn’t mean he was a bad player and Arsenal sold him onto Southampton while they could get a good fee for him same as Everton did. Carey helped to start a great Everton team Catterick took over and did a much better job of making them a title winning team twice along with a famous FA cup win, a losing one and other near title winning efforts when there were quite a few clubs in contention those days. Harry Catterick was, for me, the best manager Everton ever had.

Bobby Collins stated Carey was a good coach - but certain players took the Michael out of him - he was too soft letting them get away with it - John Moore's had given him a lot of money & although 5th in the league - John Moore's was ruthless - he wanted the no 1 position Harry did that with most of the same Carey chicks team -

Much later on Collins was invited to a big dinner of former Evertonians older players a certain Alan Ball was there - They were both Captains of the Blues both sold by Catterick - they both agreed they never wanted to leave Everton in an era they knew trophies were there to be won .....
- Bally still a mystery, but reading books of all types It looks like Harry found ball a disruptive player as Captain - & Ball became a figure of resentment from other certain players - The Catt just needed to relieve him of his captaincy not sell him ..... IMO that was a sign, he was losing the plot ..... that 1970s team was broken up far too quickly IMO....

...Was undermined by the building of the awful main stand which restricted his abilities in the transfer market at an important period for the club...
Really interesting to hear the new main stand undermined transfer dealings.

I'm sure I'm putting two and two together and making five, but is it possible that paying for the main stand played a role in Alan Ball being sold? After all, he was only about 26 so Cattericks line about 'getting a good price while we can' feels a bit disingenuous.

Here he is Harry Catterick cherishing the FA youth cup trophy - important to him players like John Hurst - Jimmy Husband - Geoff Barnett came through to make the first team - other youth players were fast tracked into higher teams Joe Royle - Colin Harvey - Tommy Wright, Roger Kenyon same age were in at a higher level -
No other Manager had the foresight to invest in a youth system of young players scouted from all over the UK as he knew that was the future way to succeed, as he put it the transfer market was getting over heated his last big signing was of a big significance was Howard Kendall - & look how he proved to be spot on many teams were after him including the other lot over the park as Preston were almost a feeder club for them - Shankly was fuming when Harry swooped to convince Kendall Everton was the best option & so history proved correct as a great midfielder in the Holy Trinity & in the 1980s as our most successful manager -

1717412765155.png

Question for Evertonians of a certain vintage,should he have won more during his tenure?
Possibly
But I'm not sure he was his full self healthwise in that 5 day period in 1971 and anyway nobody could do much about Labone actual Injury.
That said, I'm not even sure he picked the team that had Brown as Sub. rather than Kenyon.

In the decade 1960-61 to 1969-70; nobody, not any of the 'famous names'  nobody amassed more 1st Div points than Harry.

He improved Sheff We'd.
He took over a decent but 'not quite' side and made them Champions
Then had Injury and form problems...not to mention losing Kay..but still Won the Cup - back when it was a big deal
Rebuilt it into the best team I've ever seen and made them Champions again

He had his faults and blind spots (who don't?) But he really had his footy shiz together - Legend

Edit; and, even back then, he call out TV & Money as football's biggest dangers - and he wasn't wrong

Last edited:
Johnny Carey bought Jimmy Gabriel, Alex Parker,, Alex Young and Roy Vernon. Brian Labone was already there along with Mick Meagan, Derek Temple and Brian Harris who played bit parts in that 1963 title winning squad.

Harry Catterick bought Gordon West, Tony Kay, Johnny Morrissey and Dennis Stevens which added steel to the team especially in away games and also Alex Scott replacing Billy Bingham.
Carey was sacked because John Moore’s thought the team wasn’t fit enough and Carey, a gentleman by nature, wasn’t tough or ruthless enough in his treatment of players. Bobby Collins was one of my favourite all time Everton players, he came into a very poor Everton team and dragged them out of the relegation zone and was part of a great team when he left shortly before they won the title, I would have have loved him to stay he deserved a medal as much as any of those who got them but he had his differences with Catterick and went his way being his own man.Dennis Stevens had a hard time being Bobby’s replacement but eventually winning a lot of the fans over with his battling qualities and his teamwork and earned his medal.Alan Ball was another shock move, he cried tears when he told his teammates “He’s selling me” He couldn’t believe it. That story came from Johnny Morrissey. I was shocked and upset at the time but realised later it was pure business, Catterick told him he had had six great years out of him and was selling for twice the money he had paid for him, Alan was never as good for Arsenal as he was for Everton, didn’t mean he was a bad player and Arsenal sold him onto Southampton while they could get a good fee for him same as Everton did. Carey helped to start a great Everton team Catterick took over and did a much better job of making them a title winning team twice along with a famous FA cup win, a losing one and other near title winning efforts when there were quite a few clubs in contention those days. Harry Catterick was, for me, the best manager Everton ever had.
Thanks for that, fascinating history.

My dad is long gone & from what I recall, he seemed to think Johnny Carey was hard done by because the team was building. He should have been given more time, & furthermore deserved some recognition. I kind of had the sense that dad didn't overly like Catterick - even though he obviously liked Everton's success.
As you point out Catterick inherited some good players & brought in some himself - pity about Tony Kay. Wasn't there a film made about him?

I guess it's a flick of the coin between Catterick & Kendall as Everton's best manager. Kendall won more in a shorter period & who knows what he might have gone on to achieve if we weren't banned from Europe.

Bobby Collins stated Carey was a good coach - but certain players took the Michael out of him - he was too soft letting them get away with it - John Moore's had given him a lot of money & although 5th in the league - John Moore's was ruthless - he wanted the no 1 position Harry did that with most of the same Carey chicks team -

Much later on Collins was invited to a big dinner of former Evertonians older players a certain Alan Ball was there - They were both Captains of the Blues both sold by Catterick - they both agreed they never wanted to leave Everton in an era they knew trophies were there to be won .....
- Bally still a mystery, but reading books of all types It looks like Harry found ball a disruptive player as Captain - & Ball became a figure of resentment from other certain players - The Catt just needed to relieve him of his captaincy not sell him ..... IMO that was a sign, he was losing the plot ..... that 1970s team was broken up far too quickly IMO....
Selling Alan Ball seemed to be something of a watershed for Catterick & Everton. His days as manager were drawing to an end & Everton didn't rise again for years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back