The Worst Season I’ve EVER Endured

Status
Not open for further replies.
Considering the highs of last summer when we were riding on a Crest of a Transfer wave, we certainly had one hell of a fall. But thats Everton that!

Time to lick our wounds and go again.

I’ll start the post with a few points about me. I’m 29 so I’ve never seen us win anything and I live down south so don’t go to that many games but I’ve seen every minute of every game this season live and mostly whilst also being in the matchday thread here. My Dad is the only other Evertonian round here so my life is spent surrounded by mostly United, RS, Chelsea and Arsenal fans who have never been to a game.

Before the season started they expected us to finish lower top half of the table as did all the pundits on the radio and the tv and to be fair I thought we’d finish 7th again too but at least give the worst of the top 6 a good fight.

So now it’s over and we’ve finished 8th and nobody is particularly shocked so why are we so livid and disenchanted with our team?
‘What do evertonian’s expect’...

Well firstly, we expect the players to give a damn, work hard and try to win. In the league this season I can name SEVEN absolute batterings without thinking. Both Spurs games, both Arsenal games, City at Goodison, United and worst of all, capitulating to nearly relegated Southampton. These were games where we didn’t even look like we tried for the most part, in fact for the second Arsenal one, our manager decided to drop our best attackers who had just won a match and played alright and basically write off the game as a loss before it began.

We also gave the most embarrassing account of ourselves in Europe possible. We scraped our way into the group stage and did get drawn a difficult group to be fair so it’s not the not qualifying it’s the embarrassment of how it all happened again. We shipped so many goals, had punch ups and threw away a win in the last minute against Cypriot no marks with 10 men!

The problem with this season isn’t the league position. It isn’t the still not winning a trophy and not competing against the top 6 because I’m used to that, it’s the not even trying and providing no genuine moments of joy to us after bringing high profile players and talking such a good game before the start of the season.

2017/18 I can stretch myself to 3 games ALL SEASON that I enjoyed. I enjoyed Watford 3-2 because it was a bonkers game where we showed spirit and a comeback and Cleverley missed a pen right at the end. West Ham 4-0 because we found a team actually worse than us and Rooney scored an unbelievable goal. And the Leicester match where Seamus came back. Seeing him busting a gut running the length of the pitch in the 89th minute of his return after a year out was probably the only time this season I’ve felt proud of anything Everton related at all!

To sort this out Everton please do the following:
Fire Allardyce
Hire someone who wants to play a bit but also have a go against all teams. Not the old Martinez way where there is nothing but plan A which wasn’t a very good plan but actual organised attacking football with a solid defence again
No more embarrassing batterings
Get ready for one hell of a clear out of the old past it and/or just not good enough players
BUY PLAYERS TO ACTUALLY FIT THE NEW MANAGERS SYSTEM!!!
Make Seamus Coleman captain

What about the FA Cup in 95, you would have been 6?

The expectation before it with so few highlights I genuinely think this was the worst. There was no win at Old Trafford or 4-0 smashing of Pep’s City at home it was all just rancid turgid football
Note that I was too young to appreciate the last day survival seasons
I agree with @Gladystweet that there have been worse seasons, particularly those that went to the last game of the season. Never want to go there again. Our position in the league was probably the one thing that we could take out of this season, it's probably just one place below where most realistically expected us to finish.

But I agree with you that our performance this year almost feels worse that ever. And there's a number of reasons for that.

Firstly, it's only just happened so is very clearly imprinted in our minds.

Secondly, the manner in which we achieved our league position. It was probably more down to how poor the league is than how good we are. We finished on 49 points, 12 points less than last season and most people thought we should have had even more then having only picked up 4 points from the last 4 games.

Expectations were high going into the start of the season, most fans expecting to build on the last years improvement and hoping to mount a more serious challenge to the top 6, especially in games against the top 6.

The squad that we have is infinitely better than some of those we had in the bad old nineties. So you could argue that the teams of the nineties actually performed above their potential by comparison.

The quality of football on show this season has been as poor as I can remember. I thought we played well against Man City away before they went down to 10 men. We played well for 60 minutes against Leicester in Coleman's return. We played well at home to West Ham once we established a lead. And we played well in the F A Cup game at Anfield and thought we deserved to win that day. The only game I really enjoyed was watching the kids in the 3-0 dead rubber win in Cyprus. But the latter aside, that's probably 180 minutes of decent football out of a full season. Shocking.

The negativity we showed in matches, both under Koeman and Allardyce to be fair, has been embarrassing. It's bad enough against the top teams, but I would also point to WBA home and away, Bournemouth away, Burnley away, Watford away, Swansea away, Southampton at home and yesterday away to West Ham. OK Sam would argue that we were in a relegation battle, but the last 3 were after safety was guaranteed, and the Burnley game determined who finished in the European spot, and they were in the middle of a winless run of about 1o games.

But probably the most prominent point for me is, this season has been the first that I can remember that there has not been at least one stand out moment. Not one. Not even close.

A clear out is needed throughout the club, top to bottom. New CEO, new DoF, new manager, new coaches, new academy director and probably new U23 coach too as I think Unsy needs to move away from the club. Most of all though we need to overhaul the playing staff. We need the DoF to move the playing side in the right direction by introducing a style of football that we aspire to, and bring in managers, coaches and players that not only suit this style but buy into it 100%. The style of football needs to be of the type that gets the Goodison crowd off it's feet again. Fast paced, aggressive and offensive.

It's going to be very difficult to offload some of the older (and younger) players who are on big contracts, and we just have to hope that some of these are prepared to make personal sacrifices so they can continue playing regular football. We probably have around 8/9 senior players who are good enough to play under the mew manager, and we have a group of around 10/11 youngsters who are there or thereabouts to be squad/back up players. So the manager/DoF we bring in must be prepared to work with youngsters, otherwise we really are in the mire. We then need to bring in, I would say 5 quality players good and experienced enough to be regular starters.

A lot of work to be done in the summer, but if the right appointments are made, and the right quality of new player brought in, I'm confident that we can comfortably cement our position as 7th best team next season, but also make significant inroads into the current huge gap that currently exists between us and the top 6. The season after, if some of our younger players develop as I hope they will, we'll have a s squad good enough to compete on 4 fronts.

So, as bad as last season was, I don't think it's as much doom and gloom as some on here believe, provided the board act quickly to make the right decisions this summer. If we can get some decent money in for some of our outgoing players, and the board can find an extra £50m towards transfers, we should have a good war chest going into the transfer window, and there are also some very good players out of contract this summer to help the money stretch further.

Last edited:

Because we started the season with such high expectations it makes this season all the more disappointing. Even in a poor season you sometimes can get a decent cup run but really this season there was nothing to lift the gloom more or less from start to finish.

It was made all the worse when our neighbours have had such a positive season when it looked as if we might have been able to compete with them on more or less an even footing.

The great thing about football however is that things change very quickly and the addition of possibly four players to the best of what we already have could see next season being very different.

The fact we've finished eighth proves how poor the league is from seventh down.

We've somehow not even recorded our worst points total in the last few years either.

I’ll start the post with a few points about me. I’m 29 so I’ve never seen us win anything and I live down south so don’t go to that many games but I’ve seen every minute of every game this season live and mostly whilst also being in the matchday thread here. My Dad is the only other Evertonian round here so my life is spent surrounded by mostly United, RS, Chelsea and Arsenal fans who have never been to a game.

Before the season started they expected us to finish lower top half of the table as did all the pundits on the radio and the tv and to be fair I thought we’d finish 7th again too but at least give the worst of the top 6 a good fight.

So now it’s over and we’ve finished 8th and nobody is particularly shocked so why are we so livid and disenchanted with our team?
‘What do evertonian’s expect’...

Well firstly, we expect the players to give a damn, work hard and try to win. In the league this season I can name SEVEN absolute batterings without thinking. Both Spurs games, both Arsenal games, City at Goodison, United and worst of all, capitulating to nearly relegated Southampton. These were games where we didn’t even look like we tried for the most part, in fact for the second Arsenal one, our manager decided to drop our best attackers who had just won a match and played alright and basically write off the game as a loss before it began.

We also gave the most embarrassing account of ourselves in Europe possible. We scraped our way into the group stage and did get drawn a difficult group to be fair so it’s not the not qualifying it’s the embarrassment of how it all happened again. We shipped so many goals, had punch ups and threw away a win in the last minute against Cypriot no marks with 10 men!

The problem with this season isn’t the league position. It isn’t the still not winning a trophy and not competing against the top 6 because I’m used to that, it’s the not even trying and providing no genuine moments of joy to us after bringing high profile players and talking such a good game before the start of the season.

2017/18 I can stretch myself to 3 games ALL SEASON that I enjoyed. I enjoyed Watford 3-2 because it was a bonkers game where we showed spirit and a comeback and Cleverley missed a pen right at the end. West Ham 4-0 because we found a team actually worse than us and Rooney scored an unbelievable goal. And the Leicester match where Seamus came back. Seeing him busting a gut running the length of the pitch in the 89th minute of his return after a year out was probably the only time this season I’ve felt proud of anything Everton related at all!

To sort this out Everton please do the following:
Fire Allardyce
Hire someone who wants to play a bit but also have a go against all teams. Not the old Martinez way where there is nothing but plan A which wasn’t a very good plan but actual organised attacking football with a solid defence again
No more embarrassing batterings
Get ready for one hell of a clear out of the old past it and/or just not good enough players
BUY PLAYERS TO ACTUALLY FIT THE NEW MANAGERS SYSTEM!!!
Make Seamus Coleman captain
We've had worse mate, much worse. But relatively speaking, this has been up there.
This really
tbh, after a while, the meh years tend to merge into each other.
What's worse is the downs after the ups that - given the self induced expectation. 70 -71 the prime example

You lot should have been around in the 70's when the RS were winning champions league's and the title or an FA cup every season, oh it was such fun.

What a laugh saying this was the worst season ever! How long was "ever"? Not very long I would think. The Wimbledon season? or the season when Coventry made it 1-1 in our last game, only for Chelsea to bail us out? And then before that there was … etc etc.

What a laugh saying this was the worst season ever! How long was "ever"? Not very long I would think. The Wimbledon season? or the season when Coventry made it 1-1 in our last game, only for Chelsea to bail us out? And then before that there was … etc etc.

I think I made it pretty clear at the beginning of the post that I’m 29 so was too young to fully appreciate the great escapes, mostly just wondering why my dad was acting so weird every matchday and that this was the worst season I personally have ever endured

Considering the optimism most of us had in August, relatively speaking this has definitely been up there with the most disappointing in recent memory, especially after spending so big during the summer.

Yes we've had MUCH worse league position finishes / points totals (93-94 & 97-98 anyone?!), but at least during such previous years we all knew we were crap going into the season, so it came to be expected, and was often coupled with a half decent cup run here and there or a 'big game win' thrown in to numb the pain.

This season though has just been completely dire all round. Awful football, dumped out of both domestic cups early, a quite frankly embarrassing European campaign, no wins against the top 7 home or away. Literally nothing of note to look back on whatsoever.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back