Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

• Participation within this subforum is only available to members who have had 5+ posts approved elsewhere.

Today’s Football 2019/20 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nothing to do with playing against a well-organised team? After we lost to Sheffield United I said they'll stop a lot of better teams than us from scoring and that's exactly what's happened.

Of course they are a good well organised side.

But when I watch Arsenal I expect to see quick passing and quality. I saw absolutely nothing tonight. Lethargic sideways passing with no purpose. I thought they were terrible.

We might get top 4 by defeat this season lol

Still think we'll fall short but what an opportunity for someone outside the 'top 6' teams to do it

Fair play mate you deserve it - owners seem to have a clue and punted Puel and went for a semi decent manager in preparation to make an assault on a weak top 6.

I've tried telling the super Bloos on social media that Silva is essentially a Portuguese Puel but they still cant see the woods from the trees - out of interest when did your fanbase say enough was enough?

Fair play mate you deserve it - owners seem to have a clue and punted Puel and went for a semi decent manager in preparation to make an assault on a weak top 6.

I've tried telling the super Bloos on social media that Silva is essentially a Portuguese Puel but they still cant see the woods from the trees - out of interest when did your fanbase say enough was enough?
I'm fairness to Puel he did some good work behind the scenes for us and brought in some decent players. Think he was the fall guy for a transitional period for the club. We've gone from a predominantly counter attacking team to a more possession based one. In the end it was clear we wouldn't be consistent under him so he got the boot. His boring interviews didn't help his cause

Last edited:

I'm fairness to Puel he's done some good work behind the scenes for us and brought in some decent players. Think he was the fall guy for a transitional period for the club. We've gone from a predominantly counter attacking team to a more possession based one. In the end it was clear we wouldn't be consistent under him so he got the boot. His boring interviews didn't help his cause

Didnt you boot him when you were like 12th or something?

I've said on here soon as its clear your manager can not get consistent results he has to go but you get shot down for it.

If you think Puel is boring you aint seen Mr Marco in full swing!

Didnt you boot him when you were like 12th or something?

I've said on here soon as its clear your manager can not get consistent results he has to go but you get shot down for it.

If you think Puel is boring you aint seen Mr Marco in full swing!
Yeah something like that. Sometimes you need a manager like that to steady the ship but it's about getting rid at the right time

unai emery is a shcoking manager who found a level at sevilla and somehow , god knows how ,does well in the europa league..

wont be long before hes sacked from arsenal ... set piece goals conceded just slightly better than us , but cant not win away from home.

the fella's flawed like silva

that was god awful.
Gave him 18 months but its going backwards.
Cost to get rid £6m
Not a sacking club but that team is better than it's being allowed to be.
On a side note Mike Dean is a ****

Arsenal sold us Iwobi so they could spend the extra 30m for what is at best a slight upgrade with Pepe and didn't touch their horrid midfield and defense. Not surprisingly they're struggling way more than a team with Aubameyang and Lacazette ever should.

Arsenal sold us Iwobi so they could spend the extra 30m for what is at best a slight upgrade with Pepe and didn't touch their horrid midfield and defense. Not surprisingly they're struggling way more than a team with Aubameyang and Lacazette ever should.
only one bad player in the midfield.
The rest are young and poorly organised.
Bolstered the defence to the tune of £52m
Tierney(inexplicably on the bench), Saliba getting rave reviews and clean sheets in France.
Holding is a better defender than Luiz/Sokratis but is getting saved for Europa league , which is ridiculous

only one bad player in the midfield.
The rest are young and poorly organised.
Bolstered the defence to the tune of £52m
Tierney(inexplicably on the bench), Saliba getting rave reviews and clean sheets in France.
You can subtract whatever Luiz cost from that bolstering because he just isn't very good. And Saliba too for the time being as he isn't actually in the squad as you mentioned.

You're going to tell me the bad player is Xhaka but I disagree, I think in the right set up he is highly effective just as Gareth Barry was. But this Arsenal team definitely isn't the correct set up. Guendouzi is fine, but not ready for week in week out play and Toreirra is supposedly good but I don't see it. Zat will probably tell me he just hasn't adjusted to the league again, but he's firmly out of favor and again I just don't see it. You've got some others like Ceballos and the young lads but none of them have made a huge impact.

The tl:dr there is that midfield is average and should have been more of a focus than a shot in the dark loan to be fixed.

I just think the transfer business was pretty lacking in terms of an overall plan. Lacazette and Aubameyang are already two players who play a similar role to each other. And that can work if a two striker system is employed but instead you've gone and spent big on a winger while also selling your only real player of any experience who is at home on the other wing. So now you have three forwards who don't really fit well into a system with each other, a midfield that doesn't really fit into a system and a defense that still isn't as strong as a "Big 6" side should have. Emery predictably is now having trouble figuring out his best team.

You can subtract whatever Luiz cost from that bolstering because he just isn't very good. And Saliba too for the time being as he isn't actually in the squad as you mentioned.

You're going to tell me the bad player is Xhaka but I disagree, I think in the right set up he is highly effective just as Gareth Barry was. But this Arsenal team definitely isn't the correct set up. Guendouzi is fine, but not ready for week in week out play and Toreirra is supposedly good but I don't see it. Zat will probably tell me he just hasn't adjusted to the league again, but he's firmly out of favor and again I just don't see it. You've got some others like Ceballos and the young lads but none of them have made a huge impact.

The tl:dr there is that midfield is average and should have been more of a focus than a shot in the dark loan to be fixed.

I just think the transfer business was pretty lacking in terms of an overall plan. Lacazette and Aubameyang are already two players who play a similar role to each other. And that can work if a two striker system is employed but instead you've gone and spent big on a winger while also selling your only real player of any experience who is at home on the other wing. So now you have three forwards who don't really fit well into a system with each other, a midfield that doesn't really fit into a system and a defense that still isn't as strong as a "Big 6" side should have. Emery predictably is now having trouble figuring out his best team.

As far as the defence is concerned I think a bit of stop gap/forward thinking was going on and ended up muddled. He was a cheap panic buy when Leipzig refused to drop the price on Upamecano.

Xhaka does work within the system and the manager refuses to change it to suit him yet keeps picking him...go figure.

Iwobi is a good player but he needed a change,his confidence was low here and it wasn't working. Pepe was a better player but seems to be struggling to adapt.
Aubameyang and Lacazette actually work well together. As a partnership they've actually scored quite a few goals.

The winger system only works with one of each but that's not that big a deal means we can be flexible but we are not being flexible.
Torriera us our best to, you might not rate him but he is. Yet he keeps being moved further up the field in a stupid system
Watch him play for Uruguay in his best position and he's very good.
This is our best team
Saka Aubameyang/Lacazette Pepe
Guendouzi Ceballos
Torriera
Tierney Holding Sokratis Bellerin/Chambers
You could use injuries as an excuse but there are enough good players to fit more than one system .
This is on the manager.
In 20minutes when we are chasing the game we barely created a chance with 4 attacking players up front.
As organised as SU were when you have a passive system it's so easy for the oppo to get into 2 defensive banks whilst the ball is moving sideways all the time.

Probably a bit of a rant and a ramble but that performance plus the 2nd half against Watford suggests they don't have a clue what he wants and I'm not sure he does either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back