Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

• Participation within this subforum is only available to members who have had 5+ posts approved elsewhere.

Today’s Football 2020/21 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.
Koscielny and Beckham are the two spring to mind as making complete recoveries from torn Achilles. Beckham did his before the 2010 World Cup from memory.

So, I looked at Koscielny's injury record and it's interesting*. He was twice injured at Arsenal with Achilles tendon problems, before the tear in May 2018. He missed a total of 199 days with the tear before returning to the Arsenal first team in October 2018 and has had no further troubles with it.

Gbamin has to date missed 280 days with his tear, on the back of the 229 he missed with the hamstring injuries. He's played a total of 135 Premier League minutes with us. The lad has had an absolutely brutal time of it and to agree with @ForeverBlue92 I don't see how he can return to the level needed.

*Interesting to me, at least.
Cor, when you sdee it written down like that, he really has had a tough time of it however, Forreverblue is a real glass half empty type so I will give the Gbam-man a bit of belief that he can return. A little scary though that Carlo spoke about him being back in September-ish with the first team

Cor, when you sdee it written down like that, he really has had a tough time of it however, Forreverblue is a real glass half empty type so I will give the Gbam-man a bit of belief that he can return. A little scary though that Carlo spoke about him being back in September-ish with the first team
I suppose if I am looking to build a positive case then Koscielny who had previous form with Achilles problems made a full recovery after tearing his. Beckham missed 180 days with his, about the same amount of recovery time as Koscielny.

Hudson-Odoi was about 140 days in recovery from his injury in September 2019, which seems to be one of the quicker recoveries that I could find.

The negative case is that Gbamin has spent a prolonged period of time in recovery, 280 days and counting, twice as long as CHO already and about 100 days longer than average already.

I want to believe he can return and play to a standard again, but those numbers possibly indicate we should be prepared for a different outcome.

I suppose if I am looking to build a positive case then Koscielny who had previous form with Achilles problems made a full recovery after tearing his. Beckham missed 180 days with his, about the same amount of recovery time as Koscielny.

Hudson-Odoi was about 140 days in recovery from his injury in September 2019, which seems to be one of the quicker recoveries that I could find.

The negative case is that Gbamin has spent a prolonged period of time in recovery, 280 days and counting, twice as long as CHO already and about 100 days longer than average already.

I want to believe he can return and play to a standard again, but those numbers possibly indicate we should be prepared for a different outcome.
Yeh, I do recall other players being off for similar times though, I think ( a year or more)

I said Liverpool were mad to pay 32.5 million for him. But palace pretty much gave them the full amount back for him. Quite incredible.
I have an idea, that selling a bad player is like selling a car you know has "issues". If you price it too cheaply everyone suspects it's not up to scratch and they won't touch it without a further discount.

So, you put the player on full price, claim you want something smaller and nippier and mug the punter off. Also, there are clubs in certain stages of their history who are easier to mug off than others, I am only going to hint at that time when we were looking at Manchester United cast offs...

I have an idea, that selling a bad player is like selling a car you know has "issues". If you price it too cheaply everyone suspects it's not up to scratch and they won't touch it without a further discount.

So, you put the player on full price, claim you want something smaller and nippier and mug the punter off. Also, there are clubs in certain stages of their history who are easier to mug off than others, I am only going to hint at that time when we were looking at Manchester United cast offs...
Good analogy.

Not sure about the Man Utd bit though. We got good service out of Neville and he was an important part of the team. Same with Howard. Both nose dived at the end. Gibson on the other hand... Still only £500k though and decent when fit and / or sober. I'm more worried about sone of our more recent purchases from other, perhaps less vaunted, clubs.

Now, if Palace had nabbed Benteke for £8 million it would be a better bet as he is a good target man for them. But £32m? Naaaaa.

Hopefully Fulham can take points off Tottenham later, not improbable.

I'd rather the RS lose though a draw is more beneficial to us currently. I'd be surprised if they beat Chelsea. It's nice to have that feeling about them again.

It's up to us to write our own script. Fantastic opportunity tonight if we win no matter results elsewhere.

Hopefully Fulham can take points off Tottenham later, not improbable.

I'd rather the RS lose though a draw is more beneficial to us currently. I'd be surprised if they beat Chelsea. It's nice to have that feeling about them again.

It's up to us to write our own script. Fantastic opportunity tonight if we win no matter results elsewhere.

Lovely drab 0-0 draw in Chelsea vs RS will do for me.

i pointed out the other day that Allan's injury seemed to take longer than it should on average. There were many times when Carlo would say that he is ready or available and then he was not in the match day squad against liverpool.

i also noticed that with the suspected concussion injury to richarlison, james' calf injuries and DCL's injury during the christmas period he did not rush them back into action and would happily leave them out of the matchday squad so they wouldn't even be a potential option off the bench.

i have no clue if carlo has a history of doing this but i think in the past we have been known to rush players back from injury to play games and then they get injured again and they are out for the long term.

It wouldn't suprise me if Carlo is really slow playing the return of some of these players on purpose, especially Gbamin because he does not want them to pick up a quick injury again and given the seriousness of Gbamin's injury, he may have said that there is no point rushing him back to play this season, we can cope without him, let him slowly build up his fitness and train with the squad and then review him in next season's pre-season friendlies.

Good analogy.

Not sure about the Man Utd bit though. We got good service out of Neville and he was an important part of the team. Same with Howard. Both nose dived at the end. Gibson on the other hand... Still only £500k though and decent when fit and / or sober. I'm more worried about sone of our more recent purchases from other, perhaps less vaunted, clubs.

Now, if Palace had nabbed Benteke for £8 million it would be a better bet as he is a good target man for them. But £32m? Naaaaa.
I hear your Neville and Howard, of course, good, honest pros.

But, would we have taken Blomqvist, Gibson, O'Kane, Schneiderlin if they had come from another club?

i pointed out the other day that Allan's injury seemed to take longer than it should on average. There were many times when Carlo would say that he is ready or available and then he was not in the match day squad against liverpool.

i also noticed that with the suspected concussion injury to richarlison, james' calf injuries and DCL's injury during the christmas period he did not rush them back into action and would happily leave them out of the matchday squad so they wouldn't even be a potential option off the bench.

i have no clue if carlo has a history of doing this but i think in the past we have been known to rush players back from injury to play games and then they get injured again and they are out for the long term.

It wouldn't suprise me if Carlo is really slow playing the return of some of these players on purpose, especially Gbamin because he does not want them to pick up a quick injury again and given the seriousness of Gbamin's injury, he may have said that there is no point rushing him back to play this season, we can cope without him, let him slowly build up his fitness and train with the squad and then review him in next season's pre-season friendlies.
That's an excellent point about Ancelotti, who, of course was a player beset by injuries throughout his playing career and who retired at 33.

He could be someone who urges caution in rushing players back, that's an excellent point. I will reset my opinion of Gbamin coming back to hopeful, positive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back