Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

• Participation within this subforum is only available to members who have had 5+ posts approved elsewhere.

Today’s Football 2020/21 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.
They are favorites on merit & without a doubt best squad in CL, but Im not so sure.

One of city's problems is being caught cold; you only have to go back to Sunday to see that. The nature of the way teams in PL adapt their style simply doesn't have them prepared for the CL "big games" and time after time history repeats itself.

I wouldn't be surprised if Bayern, either Madrid team (if they get through), PSG or Dortmund catch them cold over two legs. The best draw for them would be Liverpool or Chelsea

I think City are capable of beating anyone left in tbh. You have to qualify that however because with Pep's (post Barca) habit of failure in Europe he's also capable of over thinking it and messing up against what should be weaker opposition.

On Liverpool...

There's a template for beating them which Premier League teams have cottoned on to, even the relegation strugglers. It seems like Leipzig just played right into their hands twice.

I wouldn't mind them drawing Chelsea, (if they get through against Atletico), I don't think LIverpool match up favourably against them. It was easy for them to win at Anfield the other day.

I think City are capable of beating anyone left in tbh. You have to qualify that however because with Pep's (post Barca) habit of failure in Europe he's also capable of over thinking it and messing up against what should be weaker opposition.

On Liverpool...

There's a template for beating them which Premier League teams have cottoned on to, even the relegation strugglers. It seems like Leipzig just played right into their hands twice.

I wouldn't mind them drawing Chelsea, (if they get through against Atletico), I don't think LIverpool match up favourably against them. It was easy for them to win at Anfield the other day.

Agreed on both, Man city would just canter past Liverpool as the fear factor is gone. I have a sneaky feeling Chelsea wont be in the last 8

Agreed on both, Man city would just canter past Liverpool as the fear factor is gone. I have a sneaky feeling Chelsea wont be in the last 8

You never know in football but Chelsea have to be confident taking a goal lead from the away leg into the return at Stamford Bridge.

Just measured the success of each country using an admittedly rather arbitrary points system of 2 for a winning team and 1 for losing finalists of all the Champions league finals since 2005

Result

Spain 18 points
England 15 points
Italy 7 points tied with
Germany 7 points
France 1 point

So as you suspected Spain are top but only just ahead of England, both have dominated this period in two phases, England the earlier part and Spain the latter, the rest nowhere.

You thought

'Go from 2005 if you want. Spain is the best league. England and Germany compete for second. There is no argument on European results in the CL, EL or combining both.'

I only did the CL but you said there would be no argument in that on its own.
So Germany isn't as good as I thought, but England is still not in a position to claim superiority. Thanks for doing this.

So Germany isn't as good as I thought, but England is still not in a position to claim superiority. Thanks for doing this.
But is in a position to reclaim it quickly as only just behind.

The very recent finals with Liverpool in two of them in succession, beating Tottenham in the second of those combined with Spain's current problems, especially Barca, hints at such. Last year's one off finals tournament (due to the Covid pandemic) they didn't do so well, but that tournament format is unlikely to be repeated.

Last edited:
But is in a position to reclaim it quickly as only just behind.

The very recent finals with Liverpool in two of them in succession, beating Tottenham in the second of those combined with Spain's current problems, especially Barca, hints at such. Last year's one off finals tournament (due to the Covid pandemic) they didn't do so well, but that tournament format is unlikely to be repeated.
They're going to be the best. The team finishing 10th this year will probably make more money than every club outside England bar 8 or 10

Basically had a 4 game ban

Darren Drysdale is free to officiate again after being given a back-dated ban for improper conduct after his clash with Ipswich player Alan Judge.

The 49-year-old locked heads with Judge while refereeing Ipswich's game against Northampton on 16 February.
Drysdale apologised for his actions and admitted a breach of Football Association rules.

An independent regulatory commission imposed a suspension which ran from 19 February to 10 March.

Drysdale has also been warned about his future conduct.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back