Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

• Participation within this subforum is only available to members who have had 5+ posts approved elsewhere.

Today's Football 2017-18 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.
He was quite simply one of the best players in Europe at the time, let alone the Premier League. Fond, fond memories of THAT derby!

Very few goals I can remember off the top of my head 22 years after they were scored, but both of those goals are still in the old memory banks.

The last time I was genuinely excited about a signing too probably getting him.

Koff Everton.

We struggled to get one over the line as well! We never change. I remember refreshing telext all the time for news, and even had a dream about his will-he, won’t-he sign nonsense! That 95/96 kit was ace as well, loved the blue and black hooped socks.

Player for player versus the Lampard Scholes etc etc era, inferior no doubt about it.

But a decent team is taking shape.
The 2004-2006 England team would wipe the floor with these, imo.

Going to be interesting to see how they get on at the WC. The 2004-2006 era should've achieved a lot more. These lot aren't expected to do much, so maybe they'll surprise a few with the pressure off.

Imagine during the ‘golden generation’ England played Scholes - our best player - in centre mid instead of on the left because no one had the balls to drop either Lampard or Gerrard.

The Nigerian fans booing Alli cos he has a Nigerian dad and turned them down to play for England.

Get Ross Barkley on Southgate !!!!!

Got to laugh at those melts booing Dele at every touch and cheering when a pass goes astray. They have paid to watch England and are booing one of the only creative players in the team. Haven't got the brains they were born with. Probably West Ham.

The 2004-2006 England team would wipe the floor with these, imo.

Going to be interesting to see how they get on at the WC. The 2004-2006 era should've achieved a lot more. These lot aren't expected to do much, so maybe they'll surprise a few with the pressure off.

Most likely. But look at some of the players they had! Point I am making is that the majority of these players have come through the England system relatively recently. None are playing on reputation, but form.

Young English players have forced themselves into top PL sides, and there just seems to be something fresh about them.

Got to laugh at those melts booing Dele at every touch and cheering when a pass goes astray. They have paid to watch England and are booing one of the only creative players in the team. Haven't got the brains they were born with. Probably West Ham.

Its the Nigerian fans mate.

I think we were a bit past it in 2006. We had a great team on paper, but the golden generation were aging and not keeping pace with the other top nations.

2002 and 2004 were our best chances to win something. Everyone thought the winner of the World Cup QF between England and Brazil would go on and win it. We’d already beat Argentina and battered Denmark 3-0. Rooney lit up Euro 2004 and we looked unstoppable until he got injured. Still took the host nation to beat us on penalties though.

I loved that era of England - we went in to tournaments genuinely excited. Not favourites, but competitors who could win it with a bit of luck. We seem a world away from that now. We just don’t produce the top players we had in 1990, 96-2006. Kane is our best striker in ages but I’d still put Shearer in ahead of him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back