Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

• Participation within this subforum is only available to members who have had 5+ posts approved elsewhere.

Today's Football 2017-18 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can remember Tim Howard being sent off and a penalty awarded for a very similar incident to tonight's i.e. minimal contact. Have the rules changed or was it because it was Everton?

Del wasn't through on goal ( as in a clear chance ) so that would always just be a pen and a yellow. The one Howard got sent off for was central and clear through ( against Sunderland )

Though I'm sure they have changed a rule now as well about sending keeper off and cladding the penalty as punishment enough

Funny what can happen when you employ a manager with a positive approach eh ?

Only us could have taken a step back to about 2000 AD in managerial terms all because the board panicked.

There are plenty of good coaches out there if you can be bothered looking for them as other clubs like Watford have shown.

Absolute farce.

Del wasn't through on goal ( as in a clear chance ) so that would always just be a pen and a yellow. The one Howard got sent off for was central and clear through ( against Sunderland )

Though I'm sure they have changed a rule now as well about sending keeper off and cladding the penalty as punishment enough
The way I remember it, it was on the other side of the goal and not central. I think you're right about the rule change though.

The way I remember it, it was on the other side of the goal and not central. I think you're right about the rule change though.

I remember the Sunderland one being quite central Kev after a suicide pass back by Ossie ( after a stupid throw from Howard lol )

I remember him bringing down Benteke for Villa but that was an angle like tonight and he got booked. Made a boss save from the pen though;)

Funny what can happen when you employ a manager with a positive approach eh ?

Only us could have taken a step back to about 2000 AD in managerial terms all because the board panicked.

There are plenty of good coaches out there if you can be bothered looking for them as other clubs like Watford have shown.

Absolute farce.

While I don’t disagree, let’s give it a little time before anointing yet another Watford manager as the chosen one.

But they play for "big club" spuds....what a joke. And their fans have the nerve to compare themselves to Arsenal...deluded idiots.

You seem a bit obsessed, like you found spurs in bed with your Mrs. Twice.

But for the record, Spurs don't "compare" themselves to Arsenal at all. In actual fact, Arsenal fans are unnaturally obsessed with Spurs, even though they're supposedly a "much bigger team".

The background 'issue' that Spurs, as a fanbase/club, have with Arsenal is that they are a South London team that bought their way into area and into the top flight. They were worse than City for that kind of thing, back then.

I'm still confused over the first pen and if it was offside.

According to the pundits, the ref and the linesman were discussing whether Lovren touched the ball. The lino says Kane was in an offside position (ie closer to the goal then 2 opponents or the ball) but couldn't see if Lovren touched it or not. The lino then said if Lovren didn't touch it Kane was offside and afoul should be given, if Lovren did touch it than Kane is onside.

Moss said Lovren touched it so no offside, and Dermot Gallagher seemed to back that up saying that Lovrens touch means Kane was onside.

Yet this :
The shot by a team-mate (A) rebounds off or is deflected by an opponent
to attacker (B) who is penalised for playing or touching the ball having
previously been in an offside position.

View attachment 43978

Kane was offside when the ball was played to him by a team mate. It was touched by Lovren on its way through to Kane who was still in an offside position so i don't see how offside wasn't given.

FA Rules for offside (http://www.thefa.com/-/media/files/...aws-of-the-game/2017-18/law-11---offside.ashx):

So, basically, at the point Dele made a pass, Kane fit none of the following criteria for being offside:

• interfering with play by playing or touching a ball passed or touched by a team-mate or
  • interfering with an opponent by:
  • preventing an opponent from playing or being able to play the ball by clearly obstructing the opponent’s line of vision or
  • challenging an opponent for the ball or
  • clearly attempting to play a ball which is close to him when this action impacts on an opponent or
  • making an obvious action which clearly impacts on the ability of an opponent to play the ball
or
  • gaining an advantage by playing the ball or interfering with an opponent when it has:
  • rebounded or been deflected off the goalpost, crossbar or an opponent
  • been deliberately saved by any opponent

So the ball went to Lovren, who took a wild swipe at it (deliberately played the ball) to try and clear the pass (not a save, by definition*), and Lovren being Lovren, sliced it into Kane's path..

"A player in an offside position receiving the ball from an opponent who deliberately plays the ball (except from a deliberate save by any opponent) is not considered to have gained an advantage.

*A ‘save’ is when a player stops, or attempts to stop, a ball which is going into or very close to the goal with any part of the body except the hands/arms (unless the goalkeeper within the penalty area)."

So, basically, Kane was in an offside position and received the ball as a result of a deliberate action by Lovren to play the ball. As such, he was not "offside" when he received it.

It's pretty impressive when a Lino/Ref manages to remember and apply an obscure clause successfully, imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back