Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

• Participation within this subforum is only available to members who have had 5+ posts approved elsewhere.

Today's Football - 2023/2024 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.
What a game. Scoreline flatters Chelsea. You’ve got to admire Spurs’ approach, but tonight’s loss only tells half the story. The two sendings off and the resulting bans, is bad enough, but to lose van der Wren and Maddison could be terminal to their top 4 hopes.

Last edited:
What a game. Scoreline flatters Chelsea. You’ve got to admire Spurs’ approach, but tonight’s loss only tells half the story. The two sendings off and the resulting bans, is bad enough, but to lose van der Wren and Maddison could be terminal to their top 4 hopes.
But dramatic I think. They have depth. Also had their second stood (marginal VAR) the game is totally different.

It's parts you can score from. There's no other sport that determines body parts by the millimetre to be against the rules (that I can think of).

Doesn't make the rules right. It's just tolerated now.

But sure. Bring in the semi-automated offsides and real-time 3d reviews to add that "magic" var has brought to the game.
Offside becomes near absolute if they revert back to feet and not fannying around measuring up other body parts.

We shall see. But Dier is no replacement for Van der Ven and Maddison is their playmaker who has been their standout player alongside Son this season.
Yeah, we’ll see just how flexible Ange can be as he will not be able to play the same style they have been. 4-4-2 is an option now with Rich and Son up front but I have no idea if he’s consider a switch in tactics. If he tries to go like for like it seems like trouble for the reasons you suggest.

No. It was ludicrous management
I disagree. Celtic are my other club so I’ve paid close attention and his whole philosophy is “we never stop”, in other words you don’t compromise principles and you work, keep your foot on the pedal and relentlessly try to attack and score goals in any situation. And wherever he’s been it’s worked.

Maybe tonight down to ten at half time he compromises that and plays men behind the ball and tries to grind a point. At most maybe he’ll get that point (still unlikely) but he stays to his principles and they press high and try to win the game. He’s maybe sacrificed at most a point but in doing so he’s compromised the mentality he’s trying to instil.

Instead even though they’ve lost he’s reinforced the mentality that they are an attacking, winning football team and over the course of the season that mentality will win them more points than they dropped tonight.

I disagree. Celtic are my other club so I’ve paid close attention and his whole philosophy is “we never stop”, in other words you don’t compromise principles and you work, keep your foot on the pedal and relentlessly try to attack and score goals in any situation. And wherever he’s been it’s worked.

Maybe tonight down to ten at half time he compromises that and plays men behind the ball and tries to grind a point. At most maybe he’ll get that point (still unlikely) but he stays to his principles and they press high and try to win the game. He’s maybe sacrificed at most a point but in doing so he’s compromised the mentality he’s trying to instil.

Instead even though they’ve lost he’s reinforced the mentality that they are an attacking, winning football team and over the course of the season that mentality will win them more points than they dropped tonight.
It's an interesting philosophy and one you can get away with in Scotland and other lesser leagues but trying to do it in the hardest league in the world is asking for trouble. It's akin to what Bielsa tried at Leeds albeit with much better players at Spurs.

However, when you go gungho against a team like Chelsea, who are currently no great shakes, then you are setting yourself up for failure. And sure enough, once Chelsea got it together, they took advantage. And, make no bones about it, other Prem teams will be looking at that and seeing how easy it is to get behind them.

When they play the best teams, like City, they will get absolutely hammered.

So, if he wants to die on his sword that's up to him but at some point you have to stop being stubborn and be realistic. The Prem. is no place for experimentation. Spurs have had some good results for the opening games but it doesn't take long for other teams to work you out and you have to try different ideas and tactics in each and every game... and sometimes multiple times in a game.

Spurs opening games so far have been Brentford, MUFC, Bournemouth, Burnley, Sheff Utd, Arsenal, RS, Luton, Fulham, Palace and Chelsea. I'd say that only the Arsenal and RS games have been a real test for them. They have Wolves on Saturday and it will be interesting to see how they get on there. They are the media darlings currently thanks to a flamboyant approach but given those fixtures, they'd be expected to win most no matter how they played.

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back