• Participation within this subforum is only available to members who have had 5+ posts approved elsewhere.

Today's Football - 2023/2024 Season

Aye mate. If upon entering St James Park, I was presented with this:

TELEMMGLPICT000004168820_trans_NvBQzQNjv4BqpVlberWd9EgFPZtcLiMQfyf2A9a6I9YchsjMeADBa08.jpeg

I would also soil my kecks! They look like a hungry, angry bunch!
Is that Alan Shearer on the left?

This is where the rule come a cropper. I get why they do it (for those tight decisions) and I ain't sure how they could define what is or isn't tight, but...

... that was clearly offside and should have been waved instantly.

Nothing wrong with the rule for me.

Players getting injured is an unfortunate side effect but it’s far better for linesmen to play on, in the interest of sport.

If they put their flag up every time it was tight they would inevitably rule out opportunities to score.

Before this was the rule, people constantly moaned about tight onsides being flagged as off. That was why they changed it.

The only way to fix this particular issue is for technology to be used which automatically decides offsides similar to goal line technology.

Just a prime example of the media desperate to find something to complain about, and managers not helping either.

Players getting injured is an unfortunate side effect but it’s far better for linesmen to play on, in the interest of sport.

If they put their flag up every time it was tight they would inevitably rule out opportunities to score.

Before this was the rule, people constantly moaned about tight onsides being flagged as off. That was why they changed it.

The only way to fix this particular issue is for technology to be used which automatically decides offsides similar to goal line technology.

Just a prime example of the media desperate to find something to complain about, and managers not helping either.
I get the frustration, but as you say, it totally makes sense.

But it was clearly offside, and they have the opportunity to flag if so, as shown later on. There is a happy medium to be found, which is my point.

Personally, it feels to me that the linesman will not flag as they know that VAR will chalk it out, so it is removing the responsibility.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back