Tom Cannon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Think if he was good enough (R/N) he’d have been kept last season rather than loaned out.
I’m not that fussed if he’s sold tbh, if anything it’s about time we started getting decent fees for the academy players that aren’t going to make an immediate impact (if any).
That said, we really out to be putting clauses in these sales for future cuts or 1st dibs (or both).
Looks like possibly £6-8m for Simms, £4m for ISS and maybe £3m for Cannon, so £13-£15m. If that money goes into a new 1st team signing who makes more of an impact that these three would have, then give our form for the last 2 seasons it’s the right thing to do.
However, that we’re likely doing it out of desperation rather than astute planning where the issue really lies.
He's 20 selling all of our prospects to fund the first team is so shortsighted

I've no doubt a decent fee comes in he's off
I think your right. Just a ridiculous strategy. Keeping him for a further year in reality will do the club no harm but could be hugely beneficial development or to secure an even bigger fee next summer. Selling him now for 4/5 million is pointless as we’d get that there or there abouts next summer anyway.

I think your right. Just a ridiculous strategy. Keeping him for a further year in reality will do the club no harm but could be hugely beneficial development or to secure an even bigger fee next summer. Selling him now for 4/5 million is pointless as we’d get that there or there abouts next summer anyway.
Totally agree it's a sorry state

He's 20 selling all of our prospects to fund the first team is so shortsighted
If we are selling all of our prospects and the stuff in The Athletic isn’t just their usual dirge.
Time will tell on Cannon. Don’t get me wrong I’d like nothing more than for him to be kept and turn into our own Harry Kane.
Odds are against him though, and more often then not the academy releases players who aren’t good enough for Prem 1st teams for free, when the reality is they are good enough for professional football at another level and therefore have a value that goes unrealised.

There is a well founded view , articles in the Athletic etc that the club currently have an open door policy for bids on any of our young players because we need the money . Events of the past week seem to confirm this and there’s no contradictory evidence coming out of the club. The question is really whether Championship clubs who would happily take Cannon on loan would take a punt on buying him .
I think that may depend on the player and the position they play.
It is hard to see us selling a young striker without at least giving him a chance when we know how short we are in that department.

He has come on leaps and bounds. Looks a great prospect. Funny how England have come knocking too, they obviously see something worth developing. He looked really good last season.
I remember watching Kane for England u19s and thought he'd won a raffle or was one of the make-a-wish kids - he was shocking. Never saw him going on to be the player he is now. Not saying he is the second coming, but it'll be interesting to see how he develops.

We simply cannot sell cannon it makes absolutely no sense at all. If we were being offered something ridiculous like £40m I could imagine but the prices being quoted are just nonsense. If we do sell him rather than loan him out (although I don't agree with that either) then thelwell should be sacked.

We cannot sell Cannon. We don't have enough strikers to do that having sold Simms.

Hope preseason shows his worth to us and either utilise him this season or loan him out again. If he tears up the championship (or wherever) as his stats showed at Preston he can do, we can revisit next season. If we sell next season, and he has similar stats to Gyokores (who went for 20 mil) slap on the youth aspect and the fact he's homegrown, and we can get a handsome fee for him... OR we could have found our goalscoring messiah.

Or he could flop but for the sake of sacrificing a few mil in a transfer fee right now, I think its worth keeping him.

I would keep him, he is young and getting better.
For what we would get sooner gamble on him coming good here
Agree selling him now is madness. I get Simms he has had chances this kid needs a go. Or if we bring players in another loan. Don't sell for peanuts

This will be an important decision for Dyche. If he stays, he needs to see minutes. I assume he is getting evaluated as we speak in training camp, but we have to start making the right decisions with the academy. If he is sold, make sure the fee is good. A good loan is acceptable too.

Status
Not open for further replies.