2019/20 Tom Davies

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fear not, we have all atoned for our sins supporting Everton, so we will pass on to paradise without a check at the gate. Anyone who has given any support whatsoever to Pickford will be doubly rewarded for their example of forgiveness and goodwill :cool:

My opinions on Davies are probably not as severe as some others, but I do think he's stalled massively in the last year. I think it's more complacency and lack of identity than actual lack of ability. I think our midfield in general is completely non existent, and has been that way since the end of Koemans 1st year, and that in turn has been the crux of all of our defensive and attacking problems as well. There is no cohesion, no defined style or strategy or energy, and we simply do not have the personnel.

For me, I think Davies needs a fresh challenge elsewhere, while we develop an actual competitive midfield unit. I think a loan elsewhere, possibly abroad, would be best for everyone involved, as I do think there could be a player in there somewhere. I think with better, more disciplined players around him, he would offer more, but Gomes has looked awful since the restart, and the less said about Gylfi the ghost the better. Add to that the non existence of wide options in Iwobi, who looks completely devoid of any confidence whatsoever, he genuinely looks like he's never played football at times, and Bernard, who is far too weak, and has possibly the worst centre of gravity for a diminutive player I've ever seen, and it is hardly a thriving environment for any midfield player. Even the obvious natural talent of Gordon is diminished by the complete lack of foundation to support him.

I think in terms of priorities, Davies would be some way behind Pickford, Iwobi, Bernard, Walcott, Tosun and the ghost on the list of players I'd be trying to shift. But he certainly hasn't been good enough lately.

My opinions on Davies are probably not as severe as some others, but I do think he's stalled massively in the last year. I think it's more complacency and lack of identity than actual lack of ability. I think our midfield in general is completely non existent, and has been that way since the end of Koemans 1st year, and that in turn has been the crux of all of our defensive and attacking problems as well. There is no cohesion, no defined style or strategy or energy, and we simply do not have the personnel.

For me, I think Davies needs a fresh challenge elsewhere, while we develop an actual competitive midfield unit. I think a loan elsewhere, possibly abroad, would be best for everyone involved, as I do think there could be a player in there somewhere. I think with better, more disciplined players around him, he would offer more, but Gomes has looked awful since the restart, and the less said about Gylfi the ghost the better. Add to that the non existence of wide options in Iwobi, who looks completely devoid of any confidence whatsoever, he genuinely looks like he's never played football at times, and Bernard, who is far too weak, and has possibly the worst centre of gravity for a diminutive player I've ever seen, and it is hardly a thriving environment for any midfield player. Even the obvious natural talent of Gordon is diminished by the complete lack of foundation to support him.

I think in terms of priorities, Davies would be some way behind Pickford, Iwobi, Bernard, Walcott, Tosun and the ghost on the list of players I'd be trying to shift. But he certainly hasn't been good enough lately.

While I probably - and these days, only very tentatively - disagree with Bernard being on here, you do strike at the major problem. Davies is an absolute stinker, but the club needs to focus on shifting (going back to my recent thread and removing the ones already gone, or with agreed deals like Stek):

Gylfi
Davies
Walcott
Delph
Bolasie
Sidibe
Tosun
Sandro
Besic
Dowell
Pickford
Baningame
Iwobi

It's almost unfeasible that Davies will be the focus of any activity. And genuinely, I think he's delighted by that, another season of getting to mess around the city with his mates, waiting for the knock on his door to arrive, incredulous that he's survived another summer. I remember Koeman getting the blame for his development, but Davies must want to send him a pack of Titleist golf balls every morning for getting him in for that City game. He's the Bob Geldof of football players, dining out on one gig years later (I may have used this for Snivelley).

It's quite clear he is way off the mark currently. I keep saying give him time but he has plenty of playing time and has not progressed since that "city match". He just keeps giving the ball away. Time and time again.

The question is how he getting so much game time?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back