2019/20 Tom Davies

Status
Not open for further replies.
My guess would be not as well as he is at Leicester, but better than Davies is for us. If we flip the question and ask whether Davies would be outperforming Maddison if they were both at Leicester I think the vast majority (say 99.9%, roughly) of people who'd ever seen them both play, would say no.

That doesn't mean Davies is useless, or that he will never improve, but I just don't really think there's an argument that he's at that level right now.
I think that it is difficult for young players in a struggling team, Davies has been asked to play different roles on different days and it doesn't always work for him.
As much as I dislike Schneiderlin I thought that he should have started as the defensive midfielder against Leicester instead of Sigurdsson in a role that he is not familiar with.

Maddison certainly has turned into a fine player, no dispute there but if Davies were at Leicester I think Davies might do as well as Maddison albeit in a different role.
I would flip your answer again and ask if Maddison would do as well as Davies in the Everton team at present, even though I do believe that our team would benefit hugely from a player like Mddison at 10 , allowing Davies to play a number 8 role.

I think that it is difficult for young players in a struggling team, Davies has been asked to play different roles on different days and it doesn't always work for him.
As much as I dislike Schneiderlin I thought that he should have started as the defensive midfielder against Leicester instead of Sigurdsson in a role that he is not familiar with.

Maddison certainly has turned into a fine player, no dispute there but if Davies were at Leicester I think Davies might do as well as Maddison albeit in a different role.
I would flip your answer again and ask if Maddison would do as well as Davies in the Everton team at present, even though I do believe that our team would benefit hugely from a player like Mddison at 10 , allowing Davies to play a number 8 role.
I agree with a lot of that. I've already answered that question though, in my opinion Maddison is just a more talented player, and would look more talented whichever team he was in. He might not do as well here as he does for Leicester, but I think he would still outshine Davies. Lukaku, Barkley, and Stones are recent examples of young players who have played in poor teams for us but still shown their talent. They've had poor runs of form, but have pretty much universally been accepted as quality players. Davies hasn't really, and personally I think that's because he's a level or two below them as a player.

Jesus christ to be a good player a player actually has to play well. How don't people get this?!

It's the "he's one of our own" mentality. Let's be honest in the past couple of years when he has played he has only played well on a few occasions.

The club has to STOP this "he's one of our own" and job's for the boys mentality, When I say "job's for the boy's" I am referring too ex-players being given roles within the club for no particular reason.

To move forward the club has to change dramatically and a good starting point would be to kick out the deadwood including Moshiri buying out Kenwright and other fuddy duddy board members.

Yes. Silva's game management in having us to far up the pitch in injury time away to 2nd placed Leicester. And.....agreed. They came straight down the middle in what was effectively a counter attack deep in added time for the home team!
That seems to happen a lot, too. We always talk about that defensive mid-fielder like Gana, but maybe we need a sweeper. Keane and Mina are not mobile enough for that role, but maybe Holgate is?
...and I do think Davies has looked over confident in the past two games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back