Tony Hibbert's the best center back in the world! (well the emergancy one anyway)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Number_25

Wears Tim Cahill pyjamas
Just read this on Sport.co.uk

Can everybody please stop getting injured? Manchester United’s own crisis comes in their defensive regions, where Alex Ferguson looks likely to perm two out of Michael Carrick, Darren Fletcher and Patrice Evra to play at centre-half for tonight’s Champions League game against Wolfsburg. Sport.co.uk lists ten more of those consistent unlikely heroes: the Emergency – or Makeshift, or Stand-In, if you will – Centre Halves…

1. Tony Hibbert
The 5 foot 8 inch Everton right-back has performed admirably in a central role of late - especially in Europe – with the Toffees having lost Joseph Yobo, Sylvain Distin and Phil Jagielka to injuries, and Joleon Lescott to Manchester City.

2. Yaya Toure
With the help of daily advice from brother and natural centre-half Kolo, the 6ft 3inch defensive midfielder was successfully converted into a centre-half for the latter stages of Barcelona’s victorious Champions League campaign last season.

3. Dion Dublin
The Leicester-born centre-forward actually started his career in defence before managers discovered that sticking him down the other end of the pitch was something of a winner. As his career lulled to a finish at Leicester City, Celtic and Norwich City, Dublin made the move back and carried on playing until he was almost 40.

4. Chris Sutton
The current Lincoln City manager and former Blackburn Rovers title-winner formed a famous strike partnership with Alan Shearer at Ewood Park, but he was always capable of slipping back into the middle of defence and even, on occasion, midfield.

5. Tom Huddlestone
The young midfielder is slowly beginning to establish himself in the middle of the park for Tottenham Hotspurs but, with Ledley King and Jonathan Woodgate always likely to pick up an injury or three, he remains centre-back cover to be considered after the next rung of Sebastian Bassong and Michael Dawson.

6. Emile Heskey
The Aston Villa and somehow still England forward performed to good effect at the back for Wigan when it was called for, although he is rumoured to have refused Martin O’Neill’s request for him to perform a similar role for the Villans.

7. Roy Keane
The Ipswich Town manager, whose look of permanent irritation is starting to rival that of Harry Redknapp’s, often filled central defensive voids at Manchester United when injuries or suspensions hit hard.

8. Esteban Cambiasso
Jose Mourinho has used the Argentine defensive midfielder as a centre-half in times of crisis at Inter, and he has played well there when it’s mattered.

9. John Wark
The Ipswich and Liverpool legend not only sported one of his generation’s finest ‘taches, but he was also capable of operating anywhere up and down the middle of the pitch. Poacher one minute, stalwart the next.

10. Michael Essien
Chelsea’s Ghanaian midfield dynamo played across the backline early in his career at French side SC Bastia, but it would take quite an injury pile-up at Stamford Bridge to see him back there.

So Hibberts in higher regard than Toure, Cambiasso and Essien then.

Top Ten: Emergency centre-backs | Sport.co.uk

I think he's forgetting the hammering we got against Benfica with him a centre half, the chances Defoe and Crouch fluffed on Sunday, and AEK and Bate not being particularly threatening in attack.

Other than that....he did okay.

Apart from height, he's a very effective right CB. He didn't lump it, and on the occasion when Coleman got a bit over-run he was brilliant in stepping across. Wouldn't be arsed if we never saw Yobo back in there replacing him, tbh.

He got caught out many, many times. Defoe was rolling him for fun. Plus he gave away a last minute pen, yeah he was superb.......

QUE?

He put in a couple of excellent tackles & blocks against the little viper toothed shitebag.

In the circumstances, not bad at all although he lost them for the goal and gave away a moody penalty.

Typical Hibbert game really.

Hey it wasnt shocklingly bad. Im not gonna rip him, im just saying he wasnt superb. He did a decent job in a postion hes not used to. Fair play to him.

His performances at centre back have been very mixed, but you expect that considering his lack of height and inexperience in the position.

If he was being judged as a normal centre back then he'd be seen as awful. Because he's a stand in he's doing okay. I don't want to see him there against Chelsea though.

I dont want to see him on the pitch vs Chelsea. I still have nightmares of the Cup Final, my seat was right above his side of the pitch, I saw the smashing he got.

Hibbo is doing well for us this year especially playing against 2 international strikers one of which he's a foot shorter and the other he's a step slower. Crouch had some chances but Crouchie also made Lescott his bitch last year. Plus he was paired with captain lazy-arse on Saturday which only made his job about 1000 times more difficult.

Last edited:

he is doin alright considering ...............................

would i like to see him permanently.....no

would i prefer he got picked over a natural CB.....NO

I'd put money on Moyes regarding Hibbert as one of our best players so don't care for all the anti Hibbert nonsense that circulates.
The guy is miles better than many people credit him to be, and the players in the game rate him highly.

I cant say i have seen alot of Hibbert's play but what I've seen ive liked and its great to see his been a one team player witch is very rare to see.

I would rate him as one of the best center backs/right backs in the league well even the world.

the lad has spirit and guts in an abundance and always plays for the team (y)

saying he is the best in the league / world maybe just a step too far

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back