Top 5 favourite Everton Centre Backs

Status
Not open for further replies.
'sake, 50 years? I've been watching about 10, so here goes:

1. Stones (when I watch him I still sometimes swoon like those California girls when he panenka'd the Juve keeper)
2. Jags
3. The Milkman
4. Yerry (nothing is more fun than watching Yerry play those 6 matches every season)
5. Tarkowski (especially his smile after leaving something in the tackle)

That Coady bloke is ok too, but haven't seen him enough, and I like Godfrey a lot but not sure he's a CB.

I suppose it was difficult to turn down a club like Arsenal anyway and the fee was good. But i think it was one of those scenarios where it began to dawn on us that we could no longer compete with certain clubs in the market (whereas a few years before Cottee would choose Everton ahead of them).
I think we got Kenny Sansom as Martin Keowns replacement. Kenny like us was well on the slide by that point. Arsenal sure have adapted to modern football way better than Everton unfortunately.

Its interesting to see Richard Gough's name mentioned a few times on this thread. He is a bit of a club legend at Rangers but I was never totally sure how he got on at Everton. I probably assumed he had left it too late to go to a major English team at that point in his career.

Great to see Brian Labone get a mention (by you and quite a few others) He would certainly be in my top five.
Technically though, none of us saw him play for Everton in the last 50 years, as his last game was in 1971 ? ?
My God! We are all getting old ?
Brian Labone would be top of my list, one of the best of his era, although I was lucky enough to see Bobby Moore play too. I believe they were paired together for that game against Brazil in the 1970 World Cup.

Status
Not open for further replies.