Victor Anichebe - what can we expect?

Status
Not open for further replies.
hes matured and is getting a better player each season. 6 million is good money but in the end im sure it will be money well spent. he will defo suit wba . he wont be that much of a goalscoring machine but will get a few and will help the team to get a few.
im certain he will be a better player for wba than he was for everton.

When he first broke through back in the days when Europe was finishing 5-6 or 7th as apposed to being 1 posistion higher than wherever we finish he was a fan favourite, coming off the bench as a super sub and seeming to always score. This was followed by a few years of sulking and injuries before coming on strong again the last couple of years.

IMO I think his best posistion is impact/super sub. I really think he's just one of those players who's made for that role although he doesn't like being labeled a super sub! I would rather have kept him over jelavic if I'm honest for that role alone, although 6M is a very good price for us.

I think he'll do ok for you, not spectacular but he'll be no donkey. Think the change and a fresh start will do him good. At times you'll think you'v got the next drogba, other times he'll frustrate the bejesus out of you!

Good luck rest of season.

Right I'm going to say what others will not, and expect some abuse towards me for saying it, but it's my opinion and reflects what I've sen of Vic, and in particular our fans behaviour towards him.

Vic is one of ours, i.e. he comes from Liverpool, and for this reason we have perhaps judged him more harshly than he has deserved. Certainly while other strikers have been pushed aside (Vaughan, McAleny, Yakubu, AJ) his raw physical skills have kept him at the club and indeed he signed a new contract in the not so dim and distant past.

Last year at the club was his best and he was probably our best forward (not saying much).However, he is still better than both Kone and Jelavic, without a doubt.

Now our fans relationship with him. I do think the fans reaction towards him at times was unacceptable, most notably on his return from injury at West Ham last season where he took some frightful abuse from our fans (I was sitting among them), and it was only when he scored in the second half that they shut up. Now I dont like to throw the word racist around lightly, but a lot of the times I have sat with fans both home and away, and if he heard the kind of abuse that was being thrown at him, I'm not surprised he was affected, and yes I would say it verged on racial abuse.

He will get more support at West Brom, undoubtedly and his raw physical talent alone will be enough, if he starts regularly, to score 10-15 a season IMO.

Cant believe how well you've done to get away with this comment. And then to say you assumed they were being racist because they called him lazy. Get a grip of yourself lad, probably sitting there with your flask terrified because someone behind you swore. Everything I hate about the way this country has gone you mate. Cant do a thing for political correctness

I think you've got a great signing. He has come on leaps and bounds for me in the past year, and before we signed Lukaku he was (im my opinion) our best striker. I honestly think he will do a job for you, i'm really sad to see him go to be honest with you.
Great lad you've got there as well

Disagree about it being good for us losing him, but otherwise that is a brilliant post, mate.

Evertonians let their previous opinions form reputations that are hard to shatter, probably like most fans. But if you just look at the last 2 years Vic has been a different player in every way -- physically, mentally and in terms of output too. If we'd have sold that stroppy 20 year old Vic for £6m I'd be laughing, but we've sold a maturer 24 year old Vic who's shown more recently than anyone thought possible.

I'm in gentle disagreement, sort of like rubbing my hand over your thigh and whispering "no, no" in your ear.

He was a better player over the last two years, of course, but never really reached the potential his physical gifts afforded him. He became smarter, started to figure out that he could muscle people off the ball, but didn't do it anywhere near enough for him to be more than a bog average forward. And the attitude - snide looks at a player who expected him to sprint after a pass, snide looks at a player who couldn't reach one of his masterly toe-end 100mph through balls, throwing his arms up in the air every time he failed to do something he vaguely remembered Yakubu doing once - didn't change all that much.

Evertonian opinions may be inflexible, but Anichebe didn't do nearly enough to change them anyway.

Disappointed to see him go, I thought he improved massively last season and was really coming into his own as a powerful centre forward. Romelu's an upgrade and I look forward to seeing him but I'm not convinced he's a long term option for us. Victor was our only striker at a good age and if your local players are useful and can contribute, I think it's best to keep them around.

That being said, 6 million isn't a bad deal I suppose, hopefully Martinez can use the money wisely and improve the squad.

Vic? Well, he sulks coz hes always injured. Then he gets injured from sulking. He'll score a classic every 30 games but then fall over in celebration and get injured....then he sulks again, repeat as required.

Good luck to him, didnt dislike the guy, he just wasnt good enough. 6mill though!!! WOW

Let's have it straight. He's a decent player with (still) bag loads of potential and will do a job but:

He's a moaner,

He's a crier,

He can go missing,

He can frustrate the hell out you,

In the end you'll love him. Honest.

He's always looked like he could grow into a strong player without ever really doing it. Maybe a good run of games in the team is what he needs, but you're buying as much in hope as expectation. Given he's 25 now that's not ideal.

The stick he's getting from some people is daft.

Honestly 6 million, I think we've got the best price somebody would pay for him at this moment in time, good deal on our part.

If the guy uses his natural attributes to his potential, you'll have a beast of a buy. Our best striker last season imo (which isn't saying much)

Hope he does well for you 36/38 games of the season!

Status
Not open for further replies.