Wasted youth? Whats gone wrong...jack rodwell, jose baxter and victor anichebe....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lloydystark

Player Valuation: £35m
Why do we generate players who become nearly men? Jack rodwell was a first team player for us and getting England call ups then made the 'big move. Jose has basically messed his career up, and victor well I'm not sure what's happened with him.... also any more players who have gone from loads of potential to nothing?

Happens at every club. We probably have some players chances they wouldn’t have had anywhere else because in the Moyes period we had to. The honest truth is that the likes of Baxter Vaughan Anichebe probably wouldn’t have got a chance at prem level anywhere else. Rodwell just had physical attributes beyond his year group and was blessed with pace power and a bit of composure. Once he got to the top level though his complete lack of football brain got found out.

Maybe the people doing the judging of potential, aren't very good judges ?

Look at Mustafi, Ruddy & Lundstram for examples of the opposite, of nobody really rating but doing fairly well for other prem teams

Rooney is really the only one in a generation to actually reach his suggested potential just a shame he never did it with us and he was past it when he returned

Vaughan and Anichibe made of glass sadly.

Main culprit is money - too much too young.

There should definitely be a global wage cap - as if all the FAs will ever get together to agree that.

Failing that I think young footballers would be better off if the majority of their wages were paid into a trust fund until they were in their mid 20s. Give them a few life lessons at least.

Why do we generate players who become nearly men? Jack rodwell was a first team player for us and getting England call ups then made the 'big move. Jose has basically messed his career up, and victor well I'm not sure what's happened with him.... also any more players who have gone from loads of potential to nothing?
Rodwell was class but injury prone before the big move. Baxter, his own fault . Anichebe ....who told you he was any good?

Media have to shoulder a major amount of blame, any young player who strings together a few good performances simply has to move to one of the big clubs for the sake of their career, Needs to be playing in the champions league and other rubbish like that. Rodwell was made believe that he had to get away from Everton to fulfill his potential, it's easy to unsettle a young lad if you start going on about the wheelbarrows of money he'll earn at a super massive club.

Depends what you call wasted, I would imagine the 3 you mention should have very comfortable lifestyles which most of us would have to work extremely hard over many years going to uni working our way up a pathway of promotion or starting own business etc. Wasted is subjective. Players like Rooney come along very rarely not just for a club but entire countries...

I think the other thing is other than Rooney the players brought through are always of a "middling" standard getting insanely bigged up after one or two first team games Rodwell was touted as the next Beckenbauer ffs.

Don't know if it goes to their heads or they just level off but they all lack something

Status
Not open for further replies.