Watched the Bayern semi-final from '85 on youtube last night...

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnnydawg68

Chairperson, People's Front of Saint Domingo
...I'd seen highlights before but found the entire broadcast. This was before my time (I'm old enough, I just wasn't an Evertonian at that age over here in the States yet).

Some thoughts:
  • The game is SO much different these days. Physically, players these days are so much more athletic. It's clear very few of them actually, you know, worked out much.
  • The game was much more physical though oddly. None of this falling over if you get within a yard of someone. It was refreshing to watch a match where the whistle didn't blow every 30 seconds for a foul.
  • Everton played like a pack of wolves then. Very quick, very aggressive, very much in synch. They seemed to move as one up and down the pitch.
  • Trevor Steven by all accounts was a fantastic footballer, but he had a nightmare of a game...right up until he scored the 3rd and final goal.
  • The second goal by Gray was an absolute howler by the Bayern keeper. He must thank God every day there was no social media then.
  • Andy Gray really was a tiger. I imagine many Evertonians were gutted when he was cast aside for Gary Lineker the following year. I would have fumed at the time, even though Lineker scored like a million goals in '86.
  • I'm surprised Goodison didn't fall down that night. The noise must have been incredible inside the stadium. I believe it was Martin Tyler doing the commentary, and he talked about the cacophony when the Blues took the lead in the game and the tie. It was 32 years ago and I wasn't even a supporter yet, and I was buzzing just watching it. And I knew the outcome!
  • I was surprised at how few names I recognized on the Bayern side. Lothar Matthäus is a very familiar name of course, but he was the only (West) German International for them at the time. I'm surprised the young lad Ludwig Kögl never really hit it big. I'd never heard of him, and a little research shows he only got two international caps, although he did score in a European final in '87.
  • Also I'm pretty sure Kendall didn't even use one sub! Was there only one sub available in those days?
If you were there, tell us all about it.

...I'd seen highlights before but found the entire broadcast. This was before my time (I'm old enough, I just wasn't an Evertonian at that age over here in the States yet).

Some thoughts:
  • The game is SO much different these days. Physically, players these days are so much more athletic. It's clear very few of them actually, you know, worked out much.
  • The game was much more physical though oddly. None of this falling over if you get within a yard of someone. It was refreshing to watch a match where the whistle didn't blow every 30 seconds for a foul.
  • Everton played like a pack of wolves then. Very quick, very aggressive, very much in synch. They seemed to move as one up and down the pitch.
  • Trevor Steven by all accounts was a fantastic footballer, but he had a nightmare of a game...right up until he scored the 3rd and final goal.
  • The second goal by Gray was an absolute howler by the Bayern keeper. He must thank God every day there was no social media then.
  • Andy Gray really was a tiger. I imagine many Evertonians were gutted when he was cast aside for Gary Lineker the following year. I would have fumed at the time, even though Lineker scored like a million goals in '86.
  • I'm surprised Goodison didn't fall down that night. The noise must have been incredible inside the stadium. I believe it was Martin Tyler doing the commentary, and he talked about the cacophony when the Blues took the lead in the game and the tie. It was 32 years ago and I wasn't even a supporter yet, and I was buzzing just watching it. And I knew the outcome!
  • I was surprised at how few names I recognized on the Bayern side. Lothar Matthäus is a very familiar name of course, but he was the only (West) German International for them at the time. I'm surprised the young lad Ludwig Kögl never really hit it big. I'd never heard of him, and a little research shows he only got two international caps, although he did score in a European final in '87.
  • Also I'm pretty sure Kendall didn't even use one sub! Was there only one sub available in those days?
It was alright like....

Some thoughts:
Best night of watching Everton ever...and that includes the final!!!
I was 15 and right at the front of the park end, just left of goal.
The players knew we were always going to win, and so did the fans.
Absolutely ear splitting at times and when tricky Trev slotted the third, I thought my head had exploded.
After years of hearing crap from the RS at school..I had a bit of a swagger the next day.

Best night of watching Everton ever...and that includes the final!!!
I was 15 and right at the front of the park end, just left of goal.
The players knew we were always going to win, and so did the fans.
Absolutely ear splitting at times and when tricky Trev slotted the third, I thought my head had exploded.
After years of hearing crap from the RS at school..I had a bit of a swagger the next day.

Sorry all 4 goals were scored at the Gladwys end though lol

Some thoughts:

I was there JDawg - one of the finest nights ever at the old lady ...she really roared that night. The Bayern bench were getting jibbed badly from the fans sat right behind them, I think we scared the crap out of them that night. Even when we went behind we knew (everyone knew, players, fans, ballboys) that we were gonna win, we were an unstoppable force.

I think I passed out in sheer delerium after the third went in.

@johnnydawg68 Well you are the most avid of Evertonians. Not only do I see you in and out of the Youth Thread all the time but you are also watching the back catalogue. Unbelievable stuff.

I bow down to you.

Great team and great times to be an Evertonian then. My whole family is Red, I am the Blue sheep of the family. The tussles around Liverpool and Everton at that time were immense

Sorry all 4 goals were scored at the Gladwys end though lol
Yeah..sods. One thing I do remember about that bloke Kögl, he was their danger man. Everyone was talking about him before the game and how he could tear us a new one...after getting kicked in the air a few times, he didn't fancy it so much.

I was there JDawg - one of the finest nights ever at the old lady ...she really roared that night. The Bayern bench were getting jibbed badly from the fans sat right behind them, I think we scared the crap out of them that night. Even when we went behind we knew (everyone knew, players, fans, ballboys) that we were gonna win, we were an unstoppable force.

I think I passed out in sheer delerium after the third went in.

Amazing. I'm very jealous.

Some thoughts:
It was a fabulous atmosphere, absoluetly deafening and you could feel,the energy in the crowd like it was electricity. Never experienced anything like it before or since! I agree with you on the different styles, but even that game was soft compared to the decade earlier! Go onto YouTube and search for cup final 1970 and watch Chelsea versus Leeds. Possibly the most brutal game of football ever played! Most modern footballers would have fainted at the sight of the tackles flying in, and almost every player would have been banned and likely prosecuted! Even in a tiem when hard men, we re genuinely hard, it was a gruesome sight!

Status
Not open for further replies.