Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

2017/18 Wayne Rooney

Status
Not open for further replies.
We desperately need more well rounded players next season (particularly in midfield). Rooney is starting to remind me of late Gareth Barry, and that is not good

You try to redeem yourself with 'Liverpool away' - but he was hooked in the cup and we instantly transformed into a dangerous team and he only merits a mention from the away league encounter because he scored a penalty. He did nothing else to influence the game as far as I recall.

So West Ham (who were the worst team in the league at that point), Swansea (who were not far behind), Newcastle (who were not even into their stride at the time) and Brighton (where they battered us and again, he only comes to mind due to being our nominated penalty taker), are proof of his worth?

Paradoxically, they demonstrate what a sentimental folly it was to even contemplate bringing him back.

Where was this leader, this passionate Evertonian, this winner, this blue who would die for the shirt, this inspiration for the whole team against Man City, Man Utd, Liverpool (I'll give you one third of a point as he was subbed in two out of the three games), Spurs, Chelsea and Arsenal?

Nowhere to be seen, in the sort of games where 'our Wayne' was supposed to carry us to a higher, competitive level and help us give them a game this season.

Then let's add every other team in the league to that list.

He offers nothing and is lucky enough to play for an ambition-less club that prioritises mushy melodrama over ruthlessness, realism and a winning mentality.

I was staggered when we brought this over-the-hill has-been back. Only Everton would be so stupid.
It’s sad that we arrived at this point. Sentimentality is fine and all if it brings something to the table. We need to set our sights drastically higher in the transfer market this season. Manager appointment is also key

Washed-up has-been who knows himself that he's absolutely thieving his wages from the club he supposedly supports. That said, if they're prepared to throw all those millions at him he'd be stupid to pass it up. The sooner he is erased from our history the better. Complete and utter waste of space both on and off the field.

genuinely think this is an insult to late gareth barry
Barry was completely shot of any athleticism late in his career here. He fouled everyone because he couldn’t keep up anymore, and as a result became a huge liability to the side (kudos on his game against City though).

Sick of the sight of him to be honest. He wanders around the pitch doing whatever he wants and demanding the ball only to give it away, I can't think of another player in the league this season who has wasted possession for his team as much as he has for us and he's never admonished for it until last week when he was hooked in the derby and proceeded to strop about it.

He's had his good moments no doubt and I do think he's one of the few who actually cares and wants the club to succeed but he's simply nowhere close to being the player he was and really doesn't belong in our best XI, for me that would be a midfield 3 of Gueye, Davies and Klaassen. The new manager next season needs to be firm and tell Rooney he's not an automatic starter and he doesn't like that then leave. If an offer from MLS or China comes calling in the summer I think he should be encouraged to take it, his days of being a force in the PL are over.

My big issue is none of the TV pundits call him out on his sub-par performances which adds to this air of untouchability with which Everton are suffering . It's not just lack of speed, but stamina, passing, tackling. He simply isn't good enough to start except as a Giroud type substitute but he's been pampered for so many years as a legend. Yes, his scoring record is terrific but those are distant memories now unless we play West Ham every week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back