We are considering signing Ron Vlaar

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dozbik

Player Valuation: £8m
Everton mull over deal for Ron Vlaar

EXCLUSIVE: Dutch international Vlaar is free agent after leaving Aston Villa in the summer
vlaar.jpg

Ron Vlaar in action for Aston Villa in February. Could he be a Blues player soon?
Everton are weighing up a deal for free agent Ron Vlaar.

The Holland international is searching for a new club after leaving Aston Villa in the summer.

Vlaar, who has recovered from a knee operation after tearing his medial meniscus, turned down a new deal with Villa after spending three seasons at the club, where he was captain.

The 30-year-old defender wants to stay in the Premier League and is understood to also have been offered deals in Italy, Germany and Turkey.

AC Milan and Inter Milan are among the clubs who are keen to sign the former Feyenoord man but he has discounted a move to Turkey.

Everton are now mulling over whether to bolster their defensive options with the experienced centre-half, who played at the World Cup in 2014.

JS62586915.jpg

Lukaku (left) and Aston Villa's Ron Vlaar battle for the ball last term

If Everton sign Vlaar then he would not be seen as a future replacement for John Stones, should the England centre-half leave Goodison, but as further competition for places at the back.

The Blues have Phil Jagielka and Ramiro Funes Mori alongside Stones as senior central defenders.

Brendan Galloway and Tyias Browning, 19 and 21 respectively, are seen as future Everton centre-halves.

JS70945087.jpg

Phil Jagielka and John Stones talk during the match at Tottenham Hotspur in August
---------------------------------

Apparently we're thinking about signing Vlaar if he passes the medical. I think it could be a good piece of business as he's a proven professional, he's an established Premier League player who could give a bit of experience to our otherwise very young defense. I always thought if we wanted good depth in central defense we'd need four established professionals, he could be the fourth (without counting Browning, Galloway or Holgate there who haven't played in the centre up to now), and he's a leader type. On the other hand, he's very injury prone, he'll turn 31 in February (which isn't necessarily a con, just saying). Also, his face reminds me of a pig.

Thoughts?

Is that from the echo or the mirror?

No way we are signing Vlarr. If we did, either he doesn't play or we drop Mori which for 9 million i doubt that will happen.

Back up one would have thought, whilst Jags is out. If there's any truth to the rumour that is.

I think if he passes a medical we should sign him, every team needs 4 CBs to account for injuries and rotation. He was a decent player before he got injured.
Was he?

i mean i know he played well in the WC but i heard no mention of him before that, as much as any other villa player anyway. Didn't watch them last season so did he have a good season in the poor defence? Genuine question like!

hopefully not true, only stop the development of our young centre-halfs. the likes of pochettino wouldnt sign him to cover injuries, he'd play a youngster.

his only use would be as Cover. If Jags is out injured and either Fumes Mori or Stones gets and Injury or Suspension then we are down to Galloway and Browning. Now I do think that they are probably good enough to cover but I wouldn't want them to HAVE to be played and certainly not for a sustained stint.
It would also probably work better in training as well as there'd be a second (one if Jags is out) Experienced Central Defender in practice games to guide the younger lads.

Status
Not open for further replies.