We have 2 years (perhaps 3 years) with this side....

Status
Not open for further replies.
To be fair most are better than Coleman these days.
Coleman did well going forwards yesterday but no link up play with walcott who was statuesque most of the game rightly subbed - Coleman has always had the flaw of crossing the ball - at 30 years old he is still very good - Palace did attack his side most of the game - clumsy on the pen challenge, otherwise a steady return imo

Glad to see some giving shouts to vlasic and Henry in particular (easy to forget about those on loan). We’ve got some quality youth potential in the club and on loan. Vlasic is one I hope we don’t give up on, doing great in champions league. Might very well be our heir to Glyfi’s spot.

On paper Leicester's squad had no business winning the title. On paper the RS squad had no business anywhere near a CL Final (they learned this the hard way.)

There is a certain "x factor" in these situations that we lack. Not sure we can buy it either.

Tbh I don’t think it has to happen very soon. Only Richarlison out of the new signings might be in a hurry and he’s young enough to give us 2 or 3 seasons and still be young enough to go to a top club. Digne has been round the loop, so has Gomes, so has Bernard. I can’t see any of them chomping at the bit to get back to a Barca knowing they’ve already been rejected from there. Mina too. If no one has taken Gueye already I can’t see why they would now. I actually think this is a squad that might stay together if we get into Europe regularly and they all get the international exposure they need.

I think this is true. I also think we may only see the best of this side in 2 years time.

What we have struggled to do, post Moyes is bring teams together and hold teams together. The fact we didn't really develop Stones, Barkley, Lukaku & Deulofeu from Martinez's 2nd season was a big opportunity missed. I sense the fella we have now will be more adept at doing this, and will not let opportunities pass him by.

I think you are right on Richarlinson too. He might go this summer. However we have to get over the idea it's automatically a bad thing. The sale of Lukaku would have given us the funds to recruit most of the lads of this summer. If we sell Richarlinson on for double, possibly treble what we bought him for, then happy days. We will have top young players cuing up to join us on that basis. While we've missed Lukaku, I wouldn't pay 100 million to have him back. We misused the money. That won't happen now. If we have to sell the odd big player every season or 2, I'm happy with that, providing we buy well.

It's worth noting Pickford signed a 6 year deal very easily. There was not even much shock amongst our fans or the wider media. It's a big shift that for me. If you are one of the lads you mention above, and you can see a talented group of younger players around you, and a very good coach, why would you be pushing to go. Especially the lads like Mina/Gomes who have had that next step and seen it doesn't always work out?

On Saturday as well the average age of the team that started was under 26, the one that ended was around 24.5. It's a very young squad. Walcott will lose his pace, but he remains a very clever footballer, with great movement, a good attitude to working back and who remains a good finisher for me. Sigurdssons game, for all it's faults is not based on pace. It's about intelligence and technique. Neither of those things will decline any time soon.

Coleman is probably a slightly different story. However I think a lot of his issue is poor form at the moment not age. I do think he might be the next Jagielka, as a club captain who goes into the background a little but acts as a good club man. There is a question as to whether Kenny can be the man to replace him.

I think this is true. I also think we may only see the best of this side in 2 years time.

What we have struggled to do, post Moyes is bring teams together and hold teams together. The fact we didn't really develop Stones, Barkley, Lukaku & Deulofeu from Martinez's 2nd season was a big opportunity missed. I sense the fella we have now will be more adept at doing this, and will not let opportunities pass him by.

I think you are right on Richarlinson too. He might go this summer. However we have to get over the idea it's automatically a bad thing. The sale of Lukaku would have given us the funds to recruit most of the lads of this summer. If we sell Richarlinson on for double, possibly treble what we bought him for, then happy days. We will have top young players cuing up to join us on that basis. While we've missed Lukaku, I wouldn't pay 100 million to have him back. We misused the money. That won't happen now. If we have to sell the odd big player every season or 2, I'm happy with that, providing we buy well.

It's worth noting Pickford signed a 6 year deal very easily. There was not even much shock amongst our fans or the wider media. It's a big shift that for me. If you are one of the lads you mention above, and you can see a talented group of younger players around you, and a very good coach, why would you be pushing to go. Especially the lads like Mina/Gomes who have had that next step and seen it doesn't always work out?

On Saturday as well the average age of the team that started was under 26, the one that ended was around 24.5. It's a very young squad. Walcott will lose his pace, but he remains a very clever footballer, with great movement, a good attitude to working back and who remains a good finisher for me. Sigurdssons game, for all it's faults is not based on pace. It's about intelligence and technique. Neither of those things will decline any time soon.

Coleman is probably a slightly different story. However I think a lot of his issue is poor form at the moment not age. I do think he might be the next Jagielka, as a club captain who goes into the background a little but acts as a good club man. There is a question as to whether Kenny can be the man to replace him.
quick one mate apart from your next answer have you ever just replied with one sentence.:D

Jesus. Last season everyone wanted Coleman as captain. Now we want him replaced.
A dip in form doesn’t spell the end of him.
We all love Coleman but he really isnt as great as he use to be, im not sure Kenny is his replacement but RB is one place Brands needs to look at after striker

I have always said the Moyes side with Arteta, Cahill, Yak, Fellaini, Pienaar, Saha, Baines etc produced the best football we've seen for many years at Goodison. I believe if we beat Fiorentina in the shoot out we could have got to that final, and had a damn good chance of winning the whole thing.

Since then we had a nice spell with Roberto. Lukaku scoring goals for fun. Barkley, Geri and Stones made up a talented x11 and we played some great football but defensively we struggled.

If you look at the side now, in the short time that Silva has been here and it has the makings of a very, very good squad once they are all fit and accustomed to the league.

Pickford
Coleman (aged 30) Mina/Zouma Keane Digne
Gueye (29) Gomes
Walcott (29) Sigurdsson (29) Bernard
Richarlison

My fear is that we have seen great players with great ability struggle as they get past 32/33 (Rooney, Baines, Williams, Cahill etc).

If (when) Walcott loses his pace he is quite limited and won't offer much on flank, we do have the likes of Lookman/Richarlison to fill that void though. Similar with Sigurdsson, he has such a great engine but in 3 years time, I'm not sure he will cover the ground he does now.

I'm not calling this the golden generation, but I feel like if we keep this side together for the next 2/3 years we may see some great football. But it needs to happen soon....
What needs to happen soon is more deadwood should be shown the door and those 4 you highlighted need replacing BEFORE they get to the Jagielka Baines stage.
But I'm sure M&M know this.

Doing it right is the hard part

Sigurdsson will age like fine wine, he doesn't rely on pace or strength like most footballers & has adapted his entire play style to being a slow player that solely relies on technique. He has done this for over 10 years now, and when there are players like Zidane & Laudrup that were playing their best football at 35-36 years old then I just don't see him declining. He might start contributing less frequently in defense but I think he'll still be improving as a player in his 30's.

He will always have his set pieces to fall back on, as well as being able to cut inside on either foot to shoot, cross or pass. I fully acknowledge that Coleman, Gueye & Walcott are only 2-3 years from being liabilities, but Sigurdsson has the potential to play into his 40's.. Although a couple of injuries could always change that.

Status
Not open for further replies.