What are you currently listening to?

Yeah, I'm liking it. Downloaded it this morning and it's on it's 3rd play through thus far today. It doesn't have any of the epics found on say Ok Computer but that was almost ten years ago now so I don't expect it to, but if you like that era Radiohead and not the Kid A era then this may not be to your liking. I think it's a bit tighter than Kid A though, not quite so indulgent. And you have to take your hat off to them for sticking two fingers up at the record industry. The sound is unmistakingly Radiohead, and for the price (or lack of) it's well worth a download.

I will be downloading it for sure, Im not expecting a masterpiece in fairness but you cant complain at the price and the way they have went about it.

Ok Computer is one of my favourite albums, timeless.

Bruce,

That's the album where you could download for free right?

Am I right that when you click on "Buy" the price says "Up to you" ?

I'm curious as to how this works out because I've been hearing/reading that the record labels as an industry could be in trouble if this works out.

Thoughts? (And since this is a "What are you listening to?" thread, you could start another thread for your reply if you want.)

Open to anyone.

Just the usual for me really...

The Stone Roses
Ian Brown
The Jam
Weller
Oasis
Stereophonics

Plus, just for monts, E.L.O.

also, The Enemy are a decent new band. (y)

Last edited:
Bruce,

I'm curious as to how this works out because I've been hearing/reading that the record labels as an industry could be in trouble if this works out.

Thoughts? (And since this is a "What are you listening to?" thread, you could start another thread for your reply if you want.)

Open to anyone.

Quite a clever ploy from Radiohead. On the face of it they are seen to be shunning the record labels and all forms are marketing and advertising. Yet, by releasing the record in such a way has had a marketing effect that no amount of advertising money could ever hope to achieve.

They get to keep their maverick '[Poor language removed] the man' reputation AND have the best marketing campaign.

As for the title of the thread, I am currently listening to, Interpol and The Bees.

Last edited:

Bruce,

Open to anyone.

Yeah, they don't actually have a label at the moment, hence why they can pretty much do as they please. Although they're releasing the mp3 for free (or whatever you want to pay), it's worth remembering that they're releasing a box set with vinyl, two cd's plus a few other bits and bobs in time for Christmas at around £40. I expect many fans will buy that as well.

As Cleetus said it has been good marketing for the band and I suspect other established acts might follow them, although it should be done with caution in my opinion because many bands that record off their own steam tend to disappear up their own exhaust pipe and release some pretentious twaddle. I don't think it will tip the record industry upside down just yet. Radiohead are arguably the biggest band in the world so can afford to do this. Other lesser lights aren't in that position.

Bit of useless trivia, the Bees are from my neck of the woods. Nice to see some hometown boys getting some air time.

Last edited:
E.L.O.?

...never heard of 'em.

got every track TX they are the gods. They are appearing as the opening act at the new Echo arena, built where we should have had a stadium, next year(y) (y)

Currently listening to about 300 pink foot geese going over head, now that is inspiring(y) (y)

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back